Table of Contents
Amla powder is prepared by grinding shade dried Amla (Emblica officinalis) fruits. It is a medicinal powder and used as a tonic. It has significant antioxidant and rejuvenative properties. It is good for sensory organs. It strengthens digestive system and detoxifies body. It has astringent action and used in treatment of bleeding disorders. It is cooling in action and has antipyretic properties.
Studies shows, daily intake of Amla powder lowers cholesterol level, improves memory and reversed induced amnesia (inability to recall information that is stored in memory). The recommended dose of Amla powder is 1/4 to 3 teaspoon.
Synonyms– Amla Churna, Indian gooseberry powder, Amalaki powder, Amalki Churna, Amla powder
Ingredients of Amla Churna
About Amalaki or Emblic Myrobalan
Amalaki consists of pericarp of dried mature fruits of Emblica officinalis Gaertn. Syn. Phyllanthus emblica Linn. (Fam. Euphorbiaceae). The fruits are mostly collected in winter season after ripening. It is a small or medium sized tree, found both in natural state in mixed deciduous forests of the country ascending to 1300 m on hills.
- Sanskrit- Amritaphala, Amalaka, Dhatriphala
- Assamese- Amla khi, Amla khu, Amla ku
- Bengali- Amla, Dhatri
- English- Emblic Myrobalan
- Gujrati- Ambala, Amala
- Hindi- Amla, Aonla
- Kannada- Nellikayi, Bela nelli, pottadenollikayi
- Kashmiri- Amli, Embali
- Malayalam- Nellikka
- Marathi- Anvala, Avalkathi
- Oriya- Ainla, Anala
- Punjabi- Aula, Amla
- Tamil- Nellikkai, nelli
- Telugu- Usirika
- Urdu- Amla, Amla j
- Kingdom- Plantae – plantes, Planta, Vegetal, plants
- Subkingdom- Viridiplantae
- Infrakingdom- Streptophyta – land plants
- Superdivision- Embryophyta
- Division- Tracheophyta – vascular plants, tracheophytes
- Subdivision- Spermatophytina – spermatophytes, seed plants, phanérogames
- Class- Magnoliopsida
- Superorder- Rosanae
- Order- Malpighiales
- Family- Phyllanthaceae
- Genus- Phyllanthus L. – leaf flower, leafflower
- Species- Phyllanthus emblica L. – emblic
- Synonym- Emblica officinalis Gaertn.
Amalki is also known as Dhatri in Sanskrit which means ‘supporter/ sustainer’ and ‘nurse’. So the name Dhatri signifies one that heals, supports and heals. Amla is nutritive tonic of Ayurveda. It is healing and rejuvenating. Its intake gives good eyesight, keeps hair black and helps in better absorption of iron.
Another important use of Dhatri or Amla in Ayurveda, is to treat hyperacidity. Intake of Amla in form of juice or powder gives relief in acidity due to its pitta pacifying and cooling properties.
In a clinical study, hyperacidity patients were given 9 to 13.5 g/day (in three divided doses) of Amla for an initial 2 weeks. This was followed by a dose of 6 to 9 g/day (two divided doses) for the rest of total duration of 3 months. It was observed, the secretion of acid and pepsin significantly decreased. Complete radiological healing was seen in peptic-ulcer patients. There was marked symptomatic relief in most of the patients. It also increase in hemoglobin concentration. Both the prophylactic and curative properties of
Ayurvedic Properties and Action of Amla powder
In Ayurveda, Amla powder is used in treatment of variety of disorders including bleeding disorders, hyperacidity, urinary disorders and burning sensation. The main constituents dried Emblic Myrobalan of is Ascorbic acid and gallotannins.
- Rasa (taste on tongue)- Kasaya (Astringent), Madhura (Sweet), Katu (Pungent), Tikta (Bitter), Amla (Sour)
- Guna (Pharmacological Action)- Laghu (Light), Ruksha (Dry)
- Virya- Sita (Cooling)
- Vipaka (transformed state after digestion)- Madhura
- Action- Rasayan, Good for eyes, Balances vitiated Vata-Pitta-Kapha, Tridosha-har.
Benefits of amalaki churna
- It is a rejuvenator and tonic.
- It is a strong anti-oxidant.
- It improves digestive function.
- It gives relief in hyperacidity.
- It is excellent source of vitamin c and boosts immunity.
- It prevents recurrent respiratory ailments such as cold, cough, flu etc.
- It detoxifies blood.
- It is good for hair, skin, eyes and memory.
- It has laxative properties and helps in constipation.
- If taken daily, it strengthens sensory organs.
- It helps in better absorption of iron.
Therapeutic Uses of Amla powder
- Rasayan, as a tonic to strengthen the sensory organs
- Excessive pitta and associated disorders
- Hyperacidity/ Amla pitta
- Syphilis, diabetes, Prameha
- Raktapitta/ bleeding disorder
- Fever due to Pitta
- Vitamin C deficiency
- Recurrent cold-cough
- Low Immunity
How to use Amla powder?
Amla powder can be used alone or with other medicinal herbs. It is used both internally and externally. Externally it is used for washing eyes and hairs. It is combined with henna for hair dyeing. Internally, Amla powder is used to treat wide variety of ailments. It can be taken daily as a tonic. Here is given how to use Amla powder to prevent or cure diseases.
Amla/ Indian Gooseberry Powder for Hair Care
- Long and black hair- Wash hair with decoction of Amla, Reetha and Shikakai.
- Hair Dye- Take an iron vessel. Mix Amla powder (1 spoon) in Henna or Mehndi powder (1 cup) and add water to make paste. Leave this overnight and apply on hairs next day for 2-3 hours. Then wash off using cold water. Do not use shampoo for washing hairs.
- Amla hair oil- Boil Amla powder in Til/sesame oil or coconut oil until it is well cooked and gets dark. Cool it and store in a bottle. Massaging with oil helps in premature hair greying.
- Strong Shiny hairs- Mix Amla powder + lemon juice. Make paste by adding some water and apply this on scalp.
- Scalp dryness, dandruff, hair fall- Boil Amla powder in water and wash hair with it.
Take Amla powder (1 g) + Kala Jeera/ Black cumin powder (2 gm) + Mishri/ Rock Candy powder, with water.
Take 5-10 gram Amla churna along with curd.
Constipation, piles, burning sensation, acidity, high cholesterol
- Take Amla powder (1 teaspoon) with milk or water at night.
- Mix Amla + Harad + Baheda (Triphala) and take in dose of 1-3 teaspoon daily, with warm water/ milk before going to bed.
Boil little amount of Amla powder in milk and drink.
Take Amla powder + Black salt, with water (in summer) or honey (winter) to cure all common digestive disorders.
Eye problems, eyesight weakness, cataract
- Take Amla powder with milk.
- Eye wash- Soak Amla powder in water at night. Next morning, strain it carefully to remove any hard particle. Washing eyes with this water gives relief in burning sensation.
Mix equal amount of Amla and Haldi powder. This simple Ayurvedic preparation is called Nisha Amalaki. Take one teaspoon of this powder daily.
Preventing diabetes complications
Mix Amla churna + Jamun Churna + Karela powder, in equal amount and take twice a day in dose of 1 teaspoon.
Mix equal quantity of Amla powder and sugar and take this powder in dose of one teaspoonful, three times daily, with milk.
Gastritis syndrome (inflammation, irritation, or erosion of the lining of the stomach)
Take Amla powder in dose of 3 gram, three times a day.
Inflammation of the larynx (laryngitis), hoarseness/ loss of voice, with pain in the throat, sore throat
Take Amla powder + Mishri + black pepper with hot milk.
Crush the neem leaves and mix Amla churna in it. Take one teaspoonful of this mixture daily for one month.
Take Amla powder (3 gram) + honey (6 gram) once a day for one month.
Amla is good for liver.
For jaundice, mix Amla powder 5 gram + Katuki 1 gram and take twice daily for one week.
Loss of semen, nocturnal emission
Taking Amla powder with Mishri helps to control this condition.
1 teaspoonful of Amla powder before going to bed at night helps to stop the bleeding due to piles.
Pitta-vikar, vitiation of Pitta dosha, hyperacidity
Take one teaspoon Amla powder with honey/ ghee after meal.
Rejuvenating tonic, for longevity, improving immunity
- Take Amla churna 1 teaspoon with milk, early in the morning daily.
- Mix Amla + Black Sesame seeds in equal amount and take with honey/ ghee.
Amla powder + Radish juice, helps in stone problem.
Toxins in blood, detoxification
Take Amla powder 1 teaspoon with honey.
Soak 1 spoon Amla powder in glass of water. Next morning, add one teaspoon honey and drink.
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores.
This medicine is manufactured by Baidyanath (Amla Churna), Vyas (Anwala Churna), Patanjali Divya Pharmacy (Divya Amla Churna), Pentacare (Amalaki Churna), Nirav (Amla powder), Organic Traditions (Amla Berry Powder) and many other Ayurvedic pharmacies.