Table of Contents
Ajmodadi churna is a polyherbal classical Ayurvedic medicine containing twelve ingredients including Ajmoda, Sonth, Vidang, Pippali, Pippla mula in dry powder form. It is useful in treatment of Kapha and Vata roga (Disease due to Kapha and Vata Dosha). It has carminative action due to which it reduces Vata inside body. It gives relief in inflammatory painful conditions such as Rheumatism, Sciatica, Neuralgic pain etc.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
Ingredients of Ajmodadi Churna
Reference Text: Sharngadharasamhita, Madhyamakhanda Adhyaya
- Ajamoda (Fruit) 12 g
- Vidanga (Fruit) 12 g
- Saindhava lavana 12 g
- Devadaru (Ht. Wd.) 12 g
- Chitraka (Root) 12 g
- Pippali mula (Root) 12 g
- Shatapushpa (Shatahva) (Fl.) 12 g
- Pippali (Fruit) 12 g
- Maricha (Fruit) 12 g
- Pathya (Haritaki) (P.) 60 g
- Vriddhadaruka Argyreia nervosa (Root) 120 g
- Nagara (shunthi) (Rz.) 120 g
Ajamoda or Celery seeds are obtained from plant Apium leptophyllum. It is pungent (Katu) and bitter (Tikta) in taste (Rasa), light (Laghu), rough or dry (Ruksa) in properties (Guna), hot (Ushna) is potency (Virya) and pungent (Katu) Vipaka. It improves appetite and digestion. It balances Vata and Kapha. It has significant anthelmintic action. It reduces gas, bloating and gives relief in pain.
Haritaki / Chebulic myrobalan / Terminalia chebula, has all taste except salty (rasa), light (Laghu), rough or dry (ruksa) in properties (Guna), hot (Ushna) is potency (Virya) and pungent (Katu) Vipaka. It balances Vata, Pitta and Kapha. It works on all body tissues. It is a tonic with anti-inflammatory, laxative, astringent, diuretic, carminative, and anthelmintic properties. Haritaki treats intestinal parasites, constipation, diarrhea, gas, cough and diseases of eyes.
Vriddhadaruka / Vidhara roots are pungent (Katu), Kashaya (Astringent), and bitter (Tikta) in taste (rasa), light (Laghu), Snigdha (Unctuous) in properties (Guna), hot (Ushna) is potency (Virya) and sweet (Madhur) Vipaka. It improves appetite and digestion. It reduces Vata-Kaha, Ama and swelling.
Pippali (fruit of Piper longum) is heating, stimulant, carminative, alterative, laxative and useful in cough, hoarseness, asthma, dyspepsia, paralysis etc.
Pippali mula is aromatic root of plant Piper longum. It is stomachic, digestive, pungent, hot, and very useful for digesting food, bile producing and laxative.
Vidang has carminative and hepatoprotective activity. It is anthelmintic, astringent, alterative and tonic.
Benefits of Ajmodadi Churna
- It give relief in inflammatory condition of joints such as Rheumatoid arthritis, arthritis.
- It helps in all painful conditions like sciatica, stiffness in back, joint pain, colic pain etc.
- It reduces Kapha / phlegm and Vata / wind.
- It is has significant anthelmintic (destroys parasitic worms) action.
- It restores normal digestive functions.
- It improves digestion and appetite.
- It reduces Ama inside body.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Ajmodadi Churna
- Shula (Colicky Pain)
- Gridhrasi (Sciatica)
- Amavata (Rheumatism)
- Shotha (Inflammation)
- Sandhi Pida (Joint pain)
- Katiruja (Backache)
- Prishtha Ruja (Pain in the lower back)
- Guda Ruja (Pain in the anorectal area)
- Jangha Ruja (Pain in thigh)
- Tuni (Neuralgic pain renal/ureteric colic)
- Pratituni/ pratuni (Renal/ureteric colic)
- Vishvaci (Brachial neuralgia)
- Kapha vata roga (Disease due to Kapha and Vata Dosha)
Dosage of Ajmodadi Churna
The recommended dosage of this powder is 3 to 6 gram, 2 to 3 times a day with lukewarm water and jaggery. Avoid eating cold and sour fruits.
Please note, the doses of Ayurvedic medicines are not fixed. Exact dose depends on the age, strength, digestive power of the patient, the nature of the illness, the state of the viscera and humours, and the properties of individual drugs.
- It is hot in potency and increases Pitta.
- It should not be used in pregnancy.
- When taken in excess it may cause acidity.
- This medicine contains salt. So avoid in high blood pressure or when on sodium restricted diet.
You can buy this product from medical store or online.
This medicine is manufactured by Patanjali Divya Pharmacy (Ajmodadi Churna), Vyas (Ajmodadi Churna), BACFO Pharmaceuticals (Ajmodadi Churna) and many other Ayurvedic pharmacies.