Table of Contents
Agastya Haritaki is also known as Agastya Rasayana. It is a polyherbal Ayurvedic Avaleha formulated by Rishi Agastya, a revered Vedic sage, one of the ancient Sapta Rishis, and the earliest Siddhar. He is also believed to be the author of Agastya Samhita.
Avaleha or Lehya is an Ayurvedic medicine, containing jaggery, sugar or sugar-candy and boiled with prescribed drug juice or decoction as per classical formula. It is sweet, semi-solid preparation and is also known as Modaka, Guda, Khanda, Rasayana, and Leha.
Agastya Haritaki is indicated in Respiratory Disorders including allergic cough-cold, intermittent fever, piles etc. As Haritaki is the chief ingredient of this medicine it has laxative properties and helps to cure constipation and gives in piles.
- It is an Ayurvedic Rasayan drug. Ayurvedic Rasayan, are boon for health. An Ayurvedic Rasayan has the following health beneficial properties.
- It has Free-radical scavenging or Antioxidant effect.
- It reduces oxidative stress and inflammation anywhere in the body.
- It reduces lipid peroxidation, which is the oxidative degradation of lipids. It is the process in which free radicals steal electrons from the lipids in cell membranes, resulting in cell damage. This process proceeds by a free radical chain reaction mechanism.
- It prevents DNA damage.
- It has immune modulation (modification of the immune response) and immune stimulant (stimulate the immune system by inducing activation or increasing activity of any of its components) properties.
- It has adaptogenic effect, which means it increase the body’s ability to resist the damaging effects of stress and promote or restore normal physiological functioning.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
Synonym: Agastya Haritaki, Agastya Haritaki Avaleha, Agastya Rasayan.
Ingredients of Agastya Haritaki Rasayana (Synonym: Agastya Haritaki)
- Aashtangahridaya, Chikitsasthana, Adhyaya 3: 125-130 1/2
- Bilva (Rt./St. Bk.) 96 g
- Shyonak (Rt./St. Bk.) 96 g
- Gambhari (Rt./St. Bk.) 96 g
- Patala (Rt./St. Bk.) 96 g
- Agnimantha (Rt./St. Bk.) 96 g
- Shalparni (Pl.) 96 g
- Prishniparni (Pl.) 96 g
- Brihati (Pl.) 96 g
- Kantakari (Pl.) 96 g
- Gokshura (Pl.) 96 g
- Svayangupta (Atmagupta) (Sd.) 96 g
- Shankhapushpi (Pl.) 96 g
- Shathi (shati) (Rz.) 96 g
- Bala (Rt.) 96 g
- Hastipippali (Gaja pippali) (Fr.) 96 g
- Apamarga (Rt.) 96 g
- Pippalimula (Pippali) (Rt.) 96 g
- Chitrak (Rt.) 96 g
- Bharngi (Rt.) 96 g
- Pushkaramula (Pushkara) (Rt.) 96 g
- Yava (Sd.) 3.072 kg
- Haritaki (P.) 1.200 kg
- Water for Decoction 15.360 l. reduced to 3.840 l.
- Guda 4.800 kg
- Ghrita 192 g
- Taila (Tila) (Ol.) 192 g
- Pippali-curna (Fr.) 192 g
- Makshika (Madhu) 192 g
The text mentions the quantity of Haritaki as 100. The weight of one Haritaki is equivalent to 12 g therefore 1.2 kg Haritaki is taken in place of 100 no’s.
Dashmula is a combination of ten roots (Bilva, Agnimantha, Gambhari, Shyonak, Patala and Shalparni, Prishniparni, Brihati, Kantkari, Gokhru). It is extensively used in Ayurveda for treatment of variety of diseases including inflammation. It has significant antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activity. Dashmoola have a balancing action on Kapha, Pitta and Vata doshas, and useful especially for Vata-vikar. Its intake reduces inflammation and pain.
Haritaki consists of the pericarp of mature fruits of Terminalia chebula Retz. (Fam. Combretaceae), a moderate sized or large tree found throughout India, chiefly in deciduous forests and areas of light rainfall. Its synonym in Sanskrit are Abhaya, Kayastha, Shiva, Pathya and Vijaya. The main consitituent of Haritaki is Tannins, anthraquinones and polyphenolic compounds. Haritaki is hot in potency. It is Laghu and Ruksha / drying. It is a tonic drug and is good for the digestive system. The main therapeutic use of Haritaki is a digestive and respiratory ailments.
Chitraka, Plumbago zeylanica is a large perennial sub-scandent medicinal shrub, found throughout India. Its Sanskrit synonyms are Agni, Vahni, Jvalanakhya, Krishanu, Huasha, Dahana, Hutabhuk and Sikha.
Chitrak roots is hot in potency. It has anti-inflammatory, digestive, appetite stimulating, Kapha-har, Vata-har and pain releiving property.
The main therapeutic use of the roots are in digestive weakness, malabsorption syndrome, piles, abdominal pain and swelling of anus.
Kevanch seeds are obtained from an extensive climbing plant found almost all over the country. It is also known as Kapikacchu, Markati, Kewanch, Kaunch and Cowhage. The main constituent of Kaunch seeds are Fixed Oil, Alkaloid and 3, 4-Dihydroxyphenylalanine. In Ayurveda, it is used in the treatment of variety of diseases including Kapha Vikar, Vata-Vikar, debility and nerves weakness. It is cool in potency. It is Madhura, Tikta (Ras), Guru, Snigdha (Guna) and Madhur Vipak. Mucuna is a good source for the production of L-dopa (L-3,4-dihydroxyphenylalanine). L-DOPA is a direct precursor to dopamine, and its supplementation can increase dopamine levels in the body. L-Dopa has been considered one of the most effective treatments of Parkinson’s disease available.
Mucuna seed powder is especially used to improve sexual function and the quality of semen in infertile men. It improves male fertility by its action on the hypothalamus, pituitary and gonadal axis. It reduces stress. Mucuna seed powder helps to fight stress-mediated poor semen quality, and acts as a restorative and invigorator tonic or aphrodisiac.
Gokshura (Tribulis terrestris) is known as Caltrops, Puncture vine, Goats head and Chota-gokhru. It is a trailing thorny weed common in sandy soil throughout India. It mainly works on nervous, reproductive, urinary system and respiratory system. It has analgesic, diuretic, lithotriptic, nervine, rejuvenative, tonic and aphrodisiac activities. Gokhru is best herb for genitourinary conditions including difficult or painful urination, stones, bloody or burning urine, etc. Gokhru detoxifies the body. It clears and scrapes obstructions from the tissues.
Chota Gohkru is useful in cough, diabetes, difficult breathing, gout, uterine disorders, hemorrhoids, impotence, infertility, kidney disease (acute inflammation), lumbago, nerve pain, rheumatism, sciatica, seminal debility, kidney stones and venereal diseases.
Gaja pippali (Scindapsus officinalis), is Pungent, Sharp and Hot. It alleviates Vata and Kapha and promotes power of Digestion.
It is appetizer, anthelmintic, aphrodisiac, galactagogue, sharpens the hearing, regulates the bowels, useful in dysentery, asthma, and troubles of the throat.
The fruits are aphrodisiac, cardio tonic, expectorant and useful in useful in bronchitis.
Benefits of Agastya Haritaki
- It is used as Rasayana (Nutrient to the body and mind with adapto immuno-neuro-endocrino-modulator properties).
- It removes wrinkles and greying of hairs and promotes complexion, life-span and strength.
- It alleviates the 5 types of cough, wasting, dyspnea, hiccup, intermittent fever, piles, Grahani disorder, heart disease, anorexia and coryza.
- It cures diseases due to vitiation of Kapha.
- It is mild laxative.
- It has an aphrodisiac properties.
- It improves sleep.
- It thickens seminal fluid.
- It is very nutritious.
- It improves weight, luster, and digestion.
- It gives relief from constipation.
- It gives strength to brain, nerves, eyes, rectum and other body organs.
Important Therapeutic Uses
- Agastya Haritaki is mainly indicates as tonic and treatment of respiratory disorders.
- Kasa (Cough)
- Shvasa (Dyspnea/asthma)
- Kshaya (Pthisis), Gulma
- Vishamajvara (Intermittent fever)
- Grahni Rog / Malabsorption
- Arsh / piles
- Hikka (Hiccup)
- Vali Palita (Wrinkles in skin and graying of hair)
The Dosage of Agastya Haritaki
Half teaspoon-1 spoon for (5-10 gram) twice a day with milk or lukewarm water.
Please note, the doses of Ayurvedic medicines are not fixed. Exact dose depends on the age, strength, digestive power of the patient, the nature of the illness, the state of the viscera and humours, and the properties of individual drugs.
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores.
This medicine is manufactured by Baidyanath (Agastya Haritaki), Dabur (Agastya Haritakyavaleha), Zandu (Agastya Haritaki Avaleha), and many other Ayurvedic pharmacies.