Table of Contents
Patanjali Giloy Ghanvati is an Ayurvedic proprietary medicine from Swami Ramdev’s Divya Pharmacy. This is herbal medicine containing single ingredient Giloy. It is Ghan Vati and contains concentrated water extract of Tinospora cordifolia.
Giloy or Guduchi is extensively used in Ayurveda because of its which has antiperiodic, antipyretic, alterative, antioxidant, adaptogenic, tonic, rejuvenative, diuretic and anti-inflammatory properties. The chief indication of Giloy include the liver diseases, fever, skin diseases and Prameha or urinary disorders.
Giloy Ghanvati is beneficial in fever (due to various reasons, dengue, chikungunya, malarial fever, chronic fever, viral fever etc.), urinary disorders, dyspepsia, general debility, rheumatism, gout, low immunity, jaundice, and other the liver conditions. It has very important hepatoprotective activity which helps to protect the liver from damage in case of viral or bacterial diseases.
This medicine can be safely taken for longer duration without any side-effect.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
- Manufacturers: Divya Pharmacy / Patanjali
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Proprietary Ayurvedic Herbal Medicine
- Main Indication: Fever, Diseases of the liver, Skin diseases
- Suitable for: Everyone
- MRP: Patanjali Giloy Ghan Vati 40 gram @ ₹ 90.00.
- Adaptogen: Help the body adapt to stress.
- Antibacterial: Active against bacteria.
- Anti-hyperglycemic: Counteracting high levels of glucose in the blood.
- Anti-inflammatory: Reducing inflammation by acting on body mechanisms.
- Antiperiodic: Preventing the regular recurrence of a disease (such as recurrent fever, malaria, viral fever etc.) or symptom.
- Antipyretic/antifebrile/febrifuge: Effective against fever.
- Anti-viral: Effective against viruses.
- Cholagogue: Promotes the discharge of bile from the system, purging it downward.
- Diuretic: Causing increased passing of urine.
- Hepatoprotective: Prevent damage to the liver.
- Immunomodulatory: Modifies the immune response or the functioning of the immune system.
- Rejuvenative and tonic
Ingredients of Giloy Ghanvati
- Stem of Giloy or Tinospora cordifolia
- Each tablet contain 500 mg of Giloy
- Excipient Q.S.
Giloy, Guduchi or Amrita is very effective and well-known medicinal herb of Ayurveda. Giloy consists of the stem of the plant Tinospora cordifolia. The stem can be used both fresh and dried form but when using as single drug it is better to use the fresh stem as it is more effective compared to the dried form.
The main constituent of Giloy are Beta-sitosterol, alkaloids including berberine and tinosporin, bitters, glycosides, diterpenes.
Giloy is also known as Amrita or Amrit due to its significant rejuvenative, enhancing energy and vitality improving properties. It enhances the immune system, reduces cholesterol and helps to stabilize blood sugar levels. It is as an adaptogen and increases resistance to stress, both emotional and physical. It increases energy and yet relaxes tension. The herb is considered bitter, hot in effect, nutritive and a Rasayana.
It is recommended for diabetes, burning sensation, fever, edema etc. It has been scientifically validated in various animal models for hypoglycemic, immunomodulatory, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and other pharmacological activities. The aqueous and alcoholic extract of the plant has been shown to improve glucose tolerance. It has hypoglycemic, anti-oxidant and analgesic activity and reduces the burning sensation.
Ayurvedic Properties and Action
Giloy is astringent, bitter in taste (Rasa), sweet after digestion (Vipaka), and is hot in effect (Virya).
- Rasa (taste on the tongue): Kashaya (Astringent), Tikta (Bitter)
- Guna (Pharmacological Action): Laghu (Light), Snigdha (Unctuous)
- Virya (Action): Shita (Cooling), Ushna (Heating)
- Vipaka (transformed state after digestion): Madhura (Sweet)
- Dosha: Balances Vata-Pitta-Kapha, (primarily decreases Pitta)
- Tissue/Dhatu: Plasma, blood, marrow, fat
It is Madhur Vipak (digests into sweet) and has building, moistening and a nourishing effect on the body. It reduces swelling, and have Anabolic effect on the body.
Ayurvedic Action / Karma
Amrita promotes strength. It alleviates all the three Dosha. It is grahi (constipative), hot, rejuvenating and digestive stimulant. It cures trishna (morbid thirst), jvara (fever), chardi (vomiting), kamala (jaundice) and vata rakta (gout). It is pungent, bitter, sweet in Vipaka and light. It also cures daha (burning syndrome), ama and kustha (obstinate skin diseases including leprosy).
- Balya: Increase the strength of the body.
- Deepan: Increase appetite.
- Jeevaneeya: beneficial for and maintain life in a sound condition.
- Jwarahara: Decreases vega of jwara and reduces the burning sensation.
- Kasahara: Removes cough.
- Kushthaghna: Removes blood impurities.
- Pachana: Digests Ama but does not increase appetite.
- Shothahar: Removes inflammation.
- Sangrahi: Assimilating
- Rasayana: Gives long life, heightened memory and intelligence, freedom from disease, youth, excellence of lustre, complexion, and of voice, optimum strength of the body and senses, utterancesthat always get fulfilled, the reverence of people, body glow.
Benefits of Giloy Ghanvati
- It contains Giloy which is time-tested, well-proven and effective household remedy.
- It is easy to take.
- It can be used as substitute of fresh Giloy when same is not available. Note: Fresh Giloy is always better in therapeutic action.
- It is the best herb to cure fevers such as Dengue, chikungunya, malaria, typhoid, and other viral fever.
- It removes toxins from the body.
- It increases body immunity against diseases.
- It protects the liver from damage.
- It helps in the liver tissues regeneration.
- It enhances antibody production and macrophage function.
- It improves resistance to infection – fungal, bacterial and parasitic.
- It stimulates digestion.
- It gives relief in acidity, gastritis, peptic ulcers, nausea and vomiting.
- When taken with ghee it gives relief in constipation.
- It has decongestant properties.
- It has diuretic action and helps in elimination of uric acid from the body.
- It reduces swelling.
- It helps in chronic skin diseases.
- It reduces fever.
- For digestive system, it is a boon. It protects the liver and cures the liver disorders. It gives relief in excessive acid secretion, ulcer formation, gastritis, gallbladder inflammation, indigestion, gas and constipation.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Giloy Ghanvati
- Burning urethras, urinary obstruction (enlarged prostate)
- Fever, periodic fever, chronic fever, viral fever, dengue fever, chikungunya fever, malaria, typhoid
- Generalized debility
- Inflammatory problems, recurrent infections
- Liver problems, malfunctioning of the liver, jaundice
- Menstruation problems
- Nausea, vomiting
- Peptic ulcer
- Poor appetite
- Skin conditions
- Skin Disorders
- Swine flu
- Urinary Disorders / Prameha
- Urogenital diseases
- Vata rakta, Gout
- Weakness after chronic illness
The Dosage of Giloy Ghanvati
- This medicine contains only one ingredient Giloy or Tinospora cordifolia. It is suitable for everyone.
- The recommended dosage for adult person and children above the age of 12 is one or two tablets, two times a day with water.
- Children between 5 – 12 years can be given half of the adult dosage or half tablet two times a day.
- This medicine should be swallowed with water. It should be taken preferably empty stomach.
Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects and Warnings
- This medicine has no known side effects.
- It contains Giloy which is non-toxic medicinal herb.
- It may cause constipation.
- It reduces blood sugar level. So it is important to check blood sugar level at frequent interval when taken in diabetes.
- It can be taken along with allopathic medicines.
- It is possibly safe to take Giloy during pregnancy and breast feeding. But to be on safer side, it is always recommended to consult a doctor before taking any herbal medicine in pregnancy.
- It can be safely given to children.
- Few sensitive people may feel nausea and vomiting.
- It can be taken safely for a few months.
- You may take this medicine or prepare fresh decoction of Giloy stem. The effectivity of freshly prepared decoction is much more.