Table of Contents
Abortion pills are used to terminate pregnancy using medicines. Many women who do not want to have baby can take it at the privacy of their homes. Some pregnancies are unplanned and unintended. These unwanted pregnancies are stressful and causes depression, anxiety and many other problems. If the pregnancy is troublesome, due to social or family reasons it is better to terminate it to avoid unnecessary complications in future.
Abortion in India
In India, abortion is legal only upto 20 weeks of pregnancy. A woman can legally avail abortion if the pregnancy carries the risk of grave physical injury, endangers her mental health, when pregnancy results from a contraceptive failure in a married woman or from rape or is likely to result in the birth of a child with physical or mental abnormalities. Abortion is permitted in such cases up to 20 weeks of pregnancy duration and no spousal consent is required.
Under the MTP (Medical Termination of Pregnancy) Act 1971, termination of pregnancy can only be done in good faith by registered medical practitioners and in such places as it is required by this act and it permits the termination of pregnancy up to 12 weeks and the opinion of more than two medical practitioners is required if termination of pregnancy is done between 12 and 20 weeks. This Act does not permit termination of pregnancy after 20 weeks.
Terminating Pregnancy Using Pills
Abortion pills are used to terminate the pregnancies which are = or < 9 weeks (less than).
Till 9 weeks or approximately 2 months, the embryo is around 2.3 cm in length and weigh about 2 grams. At this stage of pregnancy, it is believed the fetus does not feel pain. The scientists have agreed that fetal brain can feel pain approximately from the twenty sixth weeks or from third trimester.
The signs of early pregnancy
Pregnancy results in many symptoms in woman. It causes woman to go to washroom more frequently. She may be constipated, tired, have mood swings and morning sickness. The signs of early pregnancy include:
- Missed period
- Breast tenderness, heaviness
- Nausea and vomiting
- Frequent urination
- Taste change, mood swings
Once you have decided to terminate pregnancy, it should be done fast as with each day the embryo is developing into a baby. The chances of developing complications also rises with advancement of pregnancy.
Abortion Pills Names
Below is given names of few abortion pills available in India.
- Syn-Bort Syn Labs MRP Rs 525
- A-Kare DKT India MRP Rs 500
- Mifegest-Kit Cadila MRP Rs 499
- Mtp Kit Cipla MRP Rs 499
- Mtprost-Kit Cipla MRP Rs 499
- Abortom Kit Neiss Labs Pvt. Ltd. MRP Rs 420
- Unwanted Mankind MRP Rs 335
Contraindications / Do not opt for Abortion by pills if
- Over 9 weeks pregnant (time since the start of your last period)
- Confirmed or suspected ectopic pregnancy or undiagnosed adnexal mass
- Do not have access to a doctor or an emergency room
- Have a bleeding problem
- Have a blood clotting disorder or adrenal failure
- Have an IUD. It must be removed first.
- Take any medicines that should not be used with a medical abortion.
- Take certain steroid medicines
- Severe hepatic failure
- Some gynecological conditions (e.g. serious pelvic infection)
- Inherited porphyria
Side effects of Abortion Pills
- Cramping, bleeding but still pregnant after taking the pills
- Excessive vaginal bleeding
- Nausea, weakness, dizziness
- Fever, vomiting, anxiety
- Headache, diarrhea, pain
- Hot flushes, low grade temperature
- Adrenal insufficiency, bacterial infection, hypokalemia
- Uterine hemorrhage, uterine infections
Make sure the abortion is complete as the continued pregnancy can result in severe birth defects in the child.