Table of Contents
Vilwadi Gulika is polyherbal Ayurvedic medicine containing Bilwa, Surasa, Karanja, Nata, Surahva, Harithaki, Vibhitaki, Amalaki, Sunthi, Marica, Pippali, Haridra, Dharuharidra and processed in Basthamuthra or goat urine. It helps in detoxifying the body.
Vilwadi Gulika or Gutika is used in South Indian Ayurvedic practice and indicated for insect bites, rodent bites, gastroenteritis, etc. Vilwadi Gulika is also used for toxic fevers, diarrhea, and vomiting. The ingredients have the action to treat venomous bites based on signs and symptoms, especially in cobra bite.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition, and dosage.
- Reference Text: Ashtanga Hridaya, Uttara Sthana, Chapter 36, Sarp Vish Pratishedh Adhyaya, Verse: 84 – 85
- Synonyms: Bilwadi Gutika, Bilwadi Vati, Vilwadi Agada
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Classical Medicine
- Main Indication: Bite of snake, scorpion, spider, rodent, etc.
- Dosha Effect: Vata and Kaphahar
Vilwadi Gulika Composition
Ingredients present in this formulation are given below:
Equal parts of the following ingredients:
- Bilva Bael root Aegle marmelos
- Tulsi Holy Basil Ocimum sanctum
- Karanja Indian Beech Seed Pongamia pinnata
- Tagar Indian valerian root Valeriana wallichi
- Devdaru Himalayan cedar bark Cedrus deodara
- Haritaki Chebulic Myrobalan fruit rind Terminalia chebula
- Vibhitaki Belliric Myrobalan fruit rind Terminalia bellirica
- Amalki Indian gooseberry fruit Emblica officinalis Gaertn.
- Shunti Ginger Rhizome Zingiber officinalis
- Maricha Black Pepper Piper nigrum
- Pippali Long Pepper Fruit Piper longum
- Nisha Turmeric Rhizome Curcuma longa
- Daru Haridra Stem Berberis aristata
- Basta Mutra goat urine Quantity Sufficient
- All ingredients are taken in equal amount.
- All herbs are dried and ground separately to make a fine powder.
- The powder thus obtained is sieved and mixed.
- The mixed herbal powder is taken in mortar and pestle and added with goat urine in a small amount. The powder is triturated and then rolled into Vati/Gutika/tablet.
- The tablets are dried and stored.
The Latin name of Bel is Aegle marmelos. Bael has a digestive and an astringent effect and is used, especially in the treatment of IBS and diarrhea. Alkaloids, Anthraquinones, Coumarins Marmelosin, marmalade, psoralen, Tannins (Tannic acid) are present in Bael.
Bilva Phal is Kashaya/Astringent, Pungent/Katu and Tikta/Bitter Rasa, Laghu/Light and Dry/Ruksha Guna, Hot/Ushna in Virya and Katu Vipak. It is Pachak and is good for digestion.
- Rasa (taste): Astringent, bitter, Pungent
- Virya (energy): Heating
- Vipaka (post-digestive effect): Pungent
- Guna (quality): Dry, light
The unripe and immature fruit of Bilva is constipative. It alleviates Kapha and Vata. It is a digestive stimulant and carminative. Bilva (Aegle marmelos) is sangrahi, deepaniya and vata kaphahara. It helps in digestive and neurodegenerative diseases. It has significant cardioprotective, anti-inflammatory and analgesic activity.
Trikatu is a combination of dry ginger, black pepper and long pepper (Sonth + Pippali + Kali Mirch). It is effective for burning ama (metabolic waste and toxins) which is the prime cause of all disease. It supports better digestion and cures constipation. It stimulates the liver to secrete bile which is vital for fat digestion and absorption. It also balances Kapha.
Triphala is a combination of Amalaki, Bibhitaki, and Haritaki and used extensively in Ayurveda for the treatment of digestive diseases. It is a tonic for the whole body. It is being used in various gastric disorders including intestinal inflammation. It contains vitamin C, linoleic oil, phospholipids, and other important nutrients. It is a rich source of tannins, which is known to affect the integrity of the mucus membrane. Tannins with their protein precipitating and vasoconstriction effects could be advantageous in preventing ulcer development. It is a Rasayana drug and used for detoxifying and tonifying the body.
Triphala pacifies Vata-vikar and cleanses the digestive tract. It aids elimination and purification. It tones and strengthens the digestive tract and promote regular and complete the evacuation of the bowels. It helps with the digestion and assimilation of food, improves blood circulation and has anti-inflammatory properties.
It revitalizes the whole body by removing toxins, gas, and distension whilst a nourishing the nervous system. It is good for anemia, fatigue, candida, cancer, allergies, constipation, diarrhea, yeast infections, indigestion, and skin disorders.
Goat urine balances Vata-Pitta-Kapha. It is kapha-vata samaka and Pitta samshodhana. It is krimighna (antibacterial), shothahara (anti-inflammatory), vedanasthapana (analgesic), lekhana (scrubbing), anulomana (downward movement), raktha sodhaka (blood purifier) and indicated in rajayakshma (tuberculosis), Udara roga (ascites), kushta (skin disease) and jwara (fever).
Ayurvedic Action / Karma
- Amapachana: Toxin digester
- Kaphahara: Pacifies Kapha Dosha.
- Vatahar: Pacifies Vata Dosha.
- Vishaghna: Poison-destroying.
- Virechak: Virechaka or purgatives causes bowel.
- Alexeteric: Counteracts an infection or toxin.
- Antidote: Counteracts a poison
- Anti-inflammatory: Reducing inflammation by acting on body mechanisms.
- Antipyretic/antifebrile/febrifuge: Effective against fever.
- Appetizer: Improves appetite.
- Astringents: Constrict tissues; styptic.
- Carminative: Preventing the formation or causing the expulsion of flatulence.
- Constipating: To cause constipation.
- Digestive: Digestant.
- Stomachic: Stimulates gastric activity.
Vilwadi Gulika Health Benefits
- It helps in poisons in the human body due to animal bites.
- It has antiviral action.
- It is antibacterial.
- It is a carminative.
- It increases appetite.
- It detoxifies the body.
- It gives relief in pain and swelling.
- It has antisnake venom action.
- It has neuroprotective action.
- Due to anti-inflammatory, analgesic, anti-microbial properties it reduces the severity of the symptoms also.
- Visha Bilwadi Gutika can be given in darvikara (cobra) bite.
Vilwadi Gulika Therapeutic Uses
- Luta-Vrishcika-Sarpavisha (Poison of Scorpian, Spider and Snake)
- Vishucika (Gastroenteritis with piercing pain)
- Ajirna (Dyspepsia)
- Garadosha (Effects of slow / accumulated
- Jvara (Fever)
- Bhuta Badha (Psychological disorder)
Vilwadi Gulika Dosage
- The recommended dosage of medicine is 1-2 tablets.
- It should be taken twice a day, in the morning and evening.
- It is to be taken with water or honey.
- Vilwadi Gulika is used as Anjana, Nasya and Lepa.
Anjana: A fine paste is made by rubbing with water or ghee. Then it is applied as Anjana/collyrium.
Lepa: The paste of tablet is applied to wounds and bites.
Nasya: The fine powder is used as Nasya under medical supervision only.
Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects, and Warnings
Though this medicine is for bites of poisonous animals, it is better not to rely only on medicine. Such conditions require urgent medical treatment. Do not waste time but rush to get appropriate immediate treatment.
- It is completely safe to take this medicine in recommended doses. Do check the list of ingredients and their contraindications to avoid any side effects.
- It may cause dryness in the body.
- Effectivity of herbal medicine depends on many factors. A medicine suitable for one person may not essentially give the same result in another person.
- The exact dose depends on the age, strength, digestive power of the patient, the nature of the illness, the state of the viscera and humors, and the properties of individual drugs.
- Keep away from the sight and reach of children.
- Please maintain a gap of at least an hour between intake of any allopathic drug and Ayurvedic medicine to avoid drug interaction, if any.
- Do not use many different medicines for the treatments of the same disease.
- Not to be used in pregnancy.
Pharmacies Making Vilwadi Gulika
- You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores. Since it is a classical medicine, it is manufactured by many Ayurvedic pharmacies.
- Name of some of the Ayurvedic Pharmacies manufacturing this medicine is given below:
- Pankajakasthuri Herbals India Vilwadi Gulika
- Arya Vaidya Pharmacy Vilwadi Gulika
- Arya Vaidya Pharmacy Vilwadi Gulika
- Kairali Products Vilwadi Gulika 100 tablet 1 bottle @ ₹270
- Kottakkal Vilvadi Gulika and many other Ayurvedic pharmacies.