Unienzyme is digestive medicine from Unichem. It is an enzyme preparation. It is combination of enzymes (fungal diastase, papain) to aid digestion and activated charcoal for absorbing gas and toxins from digestive tract. It has negligible side effects and is known to help in cases where the belching is due to indigestion.
Unienzyme Digestive Tablet indicated in bloating, discomfort, and pain caused by stomach gas. It promotes digestion.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
- Brand / Manufacturer: Unichem
- Purpose: Digestive enzyme
- MRP / Price: 15’S for ₹ 40
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
Ingredients of Unienzyme
Each sugar coated tablet contains:
- Fungal Diastase 100 mg
- Papain 60 mg
- Activated Charcoal 75 mg
Fungal Diastase is starch-hydrolyzing enzymes which convert starch into simple sugars. It is an amylolytic enzymes obtained from fungus Aspergillus oryzae.
Papain is proteolytic enzyme (breaks proteins into simpler compounds) obtained from papaya. It has extensive proteolytic activity towards proteins, short chain peptides, amino acid esters and amide links. It is an endolytic plant cysteine protease enzyme. Papain is obtained by cutting the skin of the unripe papaya and then collecting and drying the latex which flows from the cut. The greener the fruit more active is the papain.
Activated Charcoal / activated carbon, is a fine black odorless and tasteless powder made from wood or other materials that have been exposed to very high temperatures in an airless environment. It is then treated, or activated, to increase its ability to adsorb various substances by reheating with oxidizing gas or other chemicals to break it into a very fine powder.
It is pure carbon specially processed to make it highly adsorbent of particles and gases in the body’s digestive system. As it also adsorb gas in the bowels and hence used for the treatment of gas or diarrhea.
It is an absorbent and mainly used is poisoning as it binds and absorbs ingested toxins.
Benefits of Unienzyme
- It promotes digestion of food.
- It gives relief in bloating, belching after meal.
- It helps in indigestion.
- It is effective and safe for longer duration.
- It has negligible side-effects.
- It is inexpensive.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Unienzyme
It contains digestive enzymes which helps in better digestion and gives relief in indigestion. Activated charcoal absorbs the gas and give relief in bloating.
- Chronic illness
- Chronic gastritis
- Digestive disorders
- Impaired appetite
- Indigestion / dyspepsia
- Pancreatic insufficiency
Dosage of Unienzyme
Take 1-2 tabs twice or thrice a day after major meals, with water.
Side-effects, Caution and Warningss
- It is safe to take Unienzyme regularly.
- It turns the stool black.
- Activated charcoal may have few side effects including nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramping and constipation.
- It contains proteolytic enzyme Papain, extracted from unripe papaya fruit latex. Hence it is possibly unsafe to take this medicine during pregnancy.
- It can cause mild skin irritation, burning sensation and painful urination.
- In you have Bleeding disorder/ have undergone surgery/ taking certain other medicine/ planning to get pregnant, always consult doctor before taking it.