Table of Contents
Sharbat Dinar/ Sharbat-e-Deenar is an herbal Unani medicine. It is useful in treatment of liver diseases such as hepatitis, enlargement of liver. It has diuretic properties and is useful in scant urination. Sharbat or Syrup means the sweet syrup compound, prepared from decoction, infusion, and water extract of either dry fruits or herbs or seeds etc. In Sharbat Dinar the chief ingredient is Deenar or Cuscuta reflexa seed. In Greek Tukhm Kasoos seeds of Cuscuta reflexa is called Deenar.
Unani System of medicine evolved Greece and was first introduced to India by the Arabs. It is also called as Greco-Arab medicine, Unani tibb, Arabian medicine, or Islamic medicine. Hippocrates is known as the father of this system of medicine. The theoretical framework of Unani medicine is based on his teachings.
It is traditional medicinal system and commonly practiced in South Asia. The origins of Unani medicine are found in the doctrines of the ancient Greek physicians Hippocrates and Galen. It was later developed and refined through systematic experiment by the Arabs. Unani medicine are prepared from medicinal plants, minerals, animals products etc. In Unani medicine, single drugs or their combinations in raw forms are preferred over compound formulations. The naturally occurring drugs used in this system are usually free from any side effects.
Ingredients of Sharbat Dinar
- Post Beikh Kasni (Cichorium intybus root bark) 100gm
- Tukhme Kasni (Cichorium intybus seed) 50gm
- Gule Surkh (Rosa damascena flower) 50gm
- Gule Neelofer (Nymphaea alba flower) 25gm
- Gule Gaozaban (Borage officinalis flower) 25gm
- Tukhme Kasoos (Cuscuta reflexa seed) Ba-Surra Basta (in bag ofcloth) 80gm
- Revand Chini (Rheum palmatum root) 40gm
- Sugar 1kg
Preparation: Soak the drugs except Revand (Rheum palmatum root)in water for 24 hour. Make decoction of all drugs in water and obtainfiltrate, then mix sugar in filtrate and make Qiwam (Basic Solutionof Particular consistency).
Important therapeutic uses of Sharbat dinar
- Liver diseases, epatitis, enlargement of liver, dropsy
- Abdominal disorders
- Pain in urinary bladder
- Pain in liver
- Pain in uterus
- Ascites, oedema (oedema)
- Pleurisy (inflammation of the sheet-like layers that cover the lungs (the pleura))
- Painful urination
Dosage of Sharbat Dinar
25 to 50 ml with 125 ml Arq Badiyan or water.
- Do not drink alcohol.
- Avoid fried foods, excessive salt, sugary foods, maida, artificial sweeteners and food which is difficult to digest.
- Eat more of citrus fruits, carrots, beetroot, broccoli, walnuts, blueberries, avocados, cabbage, cauliflower and other fresh fruits and vegetable.