Table of Contents
Habb-e-Asgand is a polyherbal Unani medicine. It is useful in treatment of rheumatism, arthritis, gout, lumbago and joint pain. It gives relief in pain (Musakkin Alam) and swelling in inflammatory condition. It is also given in Nafe Amraz Balghami and Riyahi (Beneficial in Phlegmatic and gaseous disease).
Unani System of medicine evolved Greece and was first introduced to India by the Arabs. It is also called as Greco-Arab medicine, Unani tibb, Arabian medicine, or Islamic medicine. Hippocrates is known as the father of this system of medicine. The theoretical framework of Unani medicine is based on his teachings.
It is traditional medicinal system and commonly practiced in South Asia. The origins of Unani medicine are found in the doctrines of the ancient Greek physicians Hippocrates and Galen. It was later developed and refined through systematic experiment by the Arabs. Unani medicine are prepared from medicinal plants, minerals, animals products etc. In Unani medicine, single drugs or their combinations in raw forms are preferred over compound formulations. The naturally occurring drugs used in this system are usually free from any side effects.
Ingredients of Habbe Asgand
- Asgand (Wiithania somnifera Dunal root) 13gm
- Moosli safed (Chlorophytum arundinaceum root) 14gm
- Peeplamool (Piper longum root) 14gm
- Peepal (Piper longum fruit) 14gm
- Sataver (Asparagus racemosus root) 13gm
- Bidhara 13gm
- Zanjabil (Zingiber officinalis rhizome) 13gm
Preparation: Make powder of all drugs and mix Asl (Honey) or cane sugar as needed and make pills of size of Unnab (Zizyfus sativa fruit).
Asgand is also known as Winter Cherry, Indian Ginseng, Kaknaje Hindee, Simm al-faraakh, Asgand Nagori and Ashwagandha.
It contains several bioactive molecules like withanolides, withanosides, indosides, withaferin-A, and others. Ashwagandha is analgesic, anthelmintic, antiinflammatory, nervine, stress reducing, sedative, spermatogenic and aphrodisiac. It is a tonic and rejuvenator. It is an adaptogen and build resistance to stress.
Ashwagandha in inflammatory condition: It is effective in chronic inflammatory diseases. It acts as an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant agent in arthritis, gout and similar conditions.
In a clinical study, administration of Withania somnifera root powder (600 mg/kg) to the arthritic rats significantly decreased the severity of arthritis by effectively suppressing the symptoms of arthritis and improving the functional recovery of motor activity and radiological score.
Unani Properties of Asgand
- Increases Semen viscosity (Mughalliz Mani)
- Increases semen production (Muallid Mani)
- Aphrodisiac (Muqavvi Baah)
- Brain tonic (Muqavvi Dimagh)
- Improves brast milk (Muallid Sheer)
- Mizaj (Temperament) Hot, Dry
- Asgand is used in treatment of rheumatic swelling, all nervine disorders, general debility, and diabetes and as a tonic.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Habbe Asgand
- Wajaul Mafasil (Arthralgia / pain in joints), arthritis, rheumatism
- Kamer Dard (Backache)
- Inflammatory conditions
- Balghami and Riyahi Amraz (Phlegmatic and gaseous disease)
Dosage of Habbe Asgand
1-2 tablets twice a day with water or take as directed by physician.