Arq Mako is an herbal Unani medicine prepared from Solanum nigrum commonly known as Makoi or black nightshade. Various phytochemicals such as glycoalkaloids, glycoproteins, polysaccharides, polyphenolic compounds such as gallic acid, catechin, protocatechuic acid (PCA), caffeic acid, epicatechin, rutin, and naringenin are present in Solanum nigrum and it has been extensively used traditionally to treat various ailments such as pain, inflammation and fever.
Arq Mako has antitumorigenic, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, hepatoprotective, diuretic, and antipyretic properties.
What is Ark / Arq?
Arka / Arq can be defined as a liquid obtained by distillation of certain liquids or drugs soaked in water using distillation apparatus. The drugs are boiled in distillation apparatus to get the vapors which on condensation give Ark of desired herb. Ark contains the volatile part of drug.
Arq Makho, is prepared by soaking dried grains of Solanum nigrum in water for one day and distilling next day.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
- Synonym: Arq e Mako, Ark Mako, Arq Kakamachi
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Classical Unani Medicine
- Main Indication: Liver diseases
Ingredients of Arq Mako
The only ingredient of this medicine is Kakamachi / Makoya / Makoh / Solanum Nigrum.
For preparation of Ark, The dried Solanum Nigrum are cleaned and soaked. Soaking helps to soften the herb and when boiled releases the essential volatile principles easily. Next day, this is poured into the distillation apparatus and boiled. The vapor is condensed and collected in a receiver. In the beginning, the vapour consists of only steam and may not contain the essential principles of the drugs. It should therefore be discarded. The last portion also may not contain therapeutically essential substance and should be discarded. The aliquots collected in between contain the active ingredients and may be mixed together to ensure uniformity of the Arka.
It is a suspension of the distillate in water having slight turbidity and colour according to the nature of the drugs used and smell of the predominant drug.
Unani Properties of Mako / Solanum nigrum
- Radey (Divertive): Divert the matter from one part to another part.
- Qabiz (Astringent): Constrict tissues; styptic.
- Qate Bah (Anaphrodisiac): Reduces the sexual desire.
- Mohallile Auram (Resolvant): Resolve the inflammation and reduce them.
- Mulattiff (Demulcent): Break the matter into pieces and make humor more liquid by their mild hotness.
- Anodyne: Relieves pain without causing loss of consciousness.
- Anti-inflammatory: Reducing inflammation by acting on body mechanisms.
- Astringents: Constrict tissues; styptic.
- Antipyretic/antifebrile/febrifuge: Effective against fever.
- Hepatoprotective: Prevent damage to the liver.
- Laxative: Tending to stimulate or facilitate evacuation of the bowels.
- Stomachic: Stimulates gastric activity.
Benefits of Arq Mako
- It is an herbal medicine.
- It has goodness of Makoh.
- It prevents or relieves the inflammation of stomach, uterus, bowels, liver and spleen.
- It is cooling in nature.
- It reduces excessive body heat.
- It is good medicine for abdominal disorders.
- It improve function of liver.
- It is a tonic and gives strength.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Arq Mako
Ark Mako is useful in diseases of liver such as all types jaundice, hepatitis, cirrhosis etc. It strengthens liver and reduces edema. This Unani medicine is also indicated in inflammatory conditions such as uterus inflammation, gastritis etc.
- Intake of Arq Mako reduces excessive heat inside body, gives relief in fever and pain.
- Abdominal pain, anorexia, gas, indigestion, parasitic infections
- Diseases of liver, jaundice, dropsy, Waram-e- Kabid (Hepatitis)
- Fever, cough, asthma, rhinitis
- Inflammation of liver, stomach intestine, spleen and uterus
- Excessive heat in body
Dosage of Arq Mako
- The recommended dosage of Ark Mako is 20-50ml for adults. It should be taken two times in day, in the morning and in evening empty stomach.
- For jaundice, 2 tablets of Qurs-e-Jigar are taken with Arq Mako, Arq Kasni and Arq Biranjasif (each 50 ml).
- In inflammation of liver-spleen, as a liver tonic, it is given in dose of 125 ml with Sharbat Afsantin (25ml).
- To reduce heat and to relieve inflammation of liver, spleen, uterus and bowel, is given with Arq Kasni or Sharbat Kasni.
Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects and Warnings
- Always take this medicine in recommended dosage to prevent any side-effect.
- Heart patients should take this medicine after consulting doctor.
- In larger dose, it may cause pain in abdomen, diarrhea, vomiting. It can cause sedation, depression of central nervous system and depression in reflexes of spinal cord.
- Overdoses can cause intestinal disease, abdominal disease, headache, irritability, nausea and vomiting.
- It should not be given to children.
- It is better to avoid this medicine in pregnancy.
- Baidyanath Arq Makoh Price: Rs. 63
- Hamdard Arq Makoh 500ml, Price: Rs 66.00
- Taseer Ark-e-Mako
- Qarshi Arq Mako and many more.