Table of Contents
Tarunarka Ras is classical Ayurvedic medicine containing SNAKE POISON (Krishna Sarpa Visha), Sulphur, borax, mica, tin, Hingula, along with DHATURA, Chitrak and Sandalwood. Tarunarka Rasa is useful in the fever due to various reasons.
Tarunarka Rasa, contains Krishna Sarpa Visha (also known as Garala visha, Darada visha, Jangama visha) which is the Venom of black cobra. Venom of black cobra is first detoxified according to method described in Ayurveda. It is then dried, so that it can be used in formation of medicine.
The venom is very fatal, and causes burning sensation and excess heat inside the body. it increases pitta. It is Tikshna and Ushna in Guna/Qualities.
It is heating and so helps the body to get rid of Kapha / phlegm. It must not be given to children, old people, emaciated person. It is also contraindicated in pregnancy, breastfeeding, ulcers, coma, and hemorrhagic conditions. Snake venom is not given alone but as a compound formulation or medicine. The dosage of such medicines is very low.
The other toxic ingredient is seeds of Dhatura. It contains a number of toxic alkaloids such as atropine, hyoscamine and scopolamine. Dhatura seeds, when given for a longer duration to experimental mice caused congestion, hepatocyte degeneration and the liver dysfunction. It also caused significant decrease in RBC, hemoglobin, hematocrit and platelets.
This medicine contains toxic ingredients. Therefore, it is highly recommended to take this medicine with due caution. It is a prescription drug of Ayurveda and need to be taken under medical supervision. This page is intended to give you the correct information about this medicine. Do not use this information to self-diagnose and self-medicate.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition, and dosage.
- Reference Text: Basavarajiyam, Jvar Chikitsa
- Synonyms: Tarunarka Ras, Tarunark Rasa, तरुणार्क रस
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Classical Medicine
- Main Indication: Fever
Ingredients of Tarunarka Ras
- Gandhaka Shuddha 1 Part
- Tankana Shuddha 1 Part
- Abhra (Abhraka) Bhasma 1 Part
- Agni (Chitraka) (Rt.) 1 Part
- Dhustura bija (Dhattura) Shuddha (Sd.) 1 Part
- Krishna sarpa garala (Sarpa visha) 1 Part
- Rakta chandana (Ht. Wd.) 1 Part
- Vangaka (Vanga) Bhasma 1 Part
- Hingula Shuddha 8 Parts
- Matulunga rasa (Fr.) Q.S. for Bhavana & mardhana
Important Therapeutic Uses of Tarunarka Ras
- Sarva Jvara (All types of fevers)
- Acute Fever
- Chronic fever
- Diseases of Spleen
- Diseases of Liver
- Stimulation of central nervous system
The Dosage of Tarunarka Ras
- The recommended dosage of medicine 4mg.
- It should be given once or twice a day.
- It is to be taken with honey and Ginger juice.
Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects, and Warnings
This medicine contains VISHA. Visha means poison. Visha Chikitsa or Agada Tantra include the treatment of diseases caused by poisons and toxins, such as spoilt food, animal, reptile and insect bites, poisonous minerals, metals and unsuitable food combinations. It is equivalent to toxicology in modern medicine.
- This medicine is not meant for regular fever.
- This medicine should be taken under medical supervision ONLY.
- Always take in recommended doses. The recommended dose is ONLY 4mg.
- It should not be taken during pregnancy or breastfeeding.
- This medicine should not be given to children.
- This medicine is not suitable for longer term use.
- This medicine should not be administered to the patients suffering from ulcer in the digestive tract.
- Effectivity of herbal medicine depends on many factors. A medicine suitable for one person may not essentially give the same result in another person.
- The exact dose depends on the age, strength, digestive power of the patient, the nature of the illness, the state of the viscera and humours, and the properties of individual drugs.
- Keep away from the sight and reach of children.
- Persons with wounds in the hands should not be allowed to make these pills or touch the medicine during preparation.
AGAIN, the above given information is only for information, DO Not USE this for self-treatment. IT CAN BE FATAL.