Table of Contents
Narayan Oil is a polyherbal Ayurvedic medicated oil referenced from Bhaishajya Ratnavali. This oil used for Nasya, internal and external use. Narayana Taila cures all the diseases of Vata. Narayana Taila has Kapha-Vata Shamaka or Tridoshahara properties. It has significant Vatahara properties and helps in all type of Vata Vyadhi.
Vata Roga or Vatavyadhi are diseases caused by Vata and are nervous disorders. In human body, all the functions are regulated by three factors, Vata/Vayu, Kapha and Pitta and Vata is the most powerful of all the Doshas. Vata is cold, light, rough, mobile, subtle, clear, dry and astringent. Vata or Vayu is responsible for all the sensory and motor functions of nervous system. The activities of Pitta, and Kapha are also regulated by Vata. Vata is responsible for all movement in the body, the flow of breath and blood, elimination of wastes, expression of speech. It moves the diaphragm, muscles and limbs, regulates the nervous system and it also stimulates the function of the intellect.
Vata is aggravated by intake of astringent, bitter and pungent foods, in morning and evening, by fear and insecurity, in early autumn and any change in the season, with age, by excessive movement, by dry and cold climate, by sleeping late night. Pulses, dry foods, such as popcorn, aggravate vata due to drying nature. Massaging with medicated oils helps to promote and regulate proper functioning of Vata or nervous activities.
Narayan Oil is also used in female infertility. Ovulation in women is influenced by Vata. Narayana Taila is useful in all Vata Vyadhiys, so it definitely acts on Anovulation. Matrabasti of Narayana Taila is done in women suffering from anovulation. The Basti or enema is given from oral route after cessation of menses for 8 days in two consecutive menstrual cycles.
Nasya Karma (Nasal administration of medicine) is done in case of choice in Urdhvajatrugata Vyadhis(diseases above the clavicle) for example Nasya of Narayana Taila helps in Manyastambha (back of the neck becomes stiff or rigid and the movements of the neck are impaired). Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and how to use.
- Reference Text: Bhaishajya Ratnavali, Vatavyadhyadhikara: 140-150
- Synonyms: Narayana Oil, Narayana Taila
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Classical Medicine
- Main Indication: Vata Vyadhis (neurological, musculoskeletal disorders)
Ingredients of Narayan Oil
- Bilva (Rt./St.Bk.) 480 g
- Agnimantha (Rt./St.Bk.) 480 g
- Shyonaka (Rt./St. Bk.) 480 g
- Patala (Rt./St. Bk.) 480 g
- Paribhadra (St. Bk.) 480 g
- Prasarini (Pl.) 480 g
- Ashvagandha (Rt.) 480 g
- Brihati (Pl.) 480 g
- Kantakari (Pl.) 480 g
- Bala (Rt.) 480 g
- Atibala (Rt.) 480 g
- Shvadanshtra (Gokshura) (Pl.) 480 g
- Punarnava (Rakta Punarnava) (Rt.) 480 g
- Water for decoction 49.152 l
- reduced to 12.288 l
- Taila (Tila) (Ol.) 3.072 kg
- Shatapushpa (Shatahva) (Fr.) 96 g
- Devadaru (Ht. Wd.) 96 g
- Mansi (Jatamansi) (Rt./Rz.) 96 g
- Shaileyaka (Shaileya) (Pl.) 96 g
- Vaca (Rz.) 96 g
- Candana (Raktacandana) (Ht. Wd.) 96 g
- Tagara (Rt./Rz.) 96 g
- Kushtha (Rt.) 96 g
- Ela (Sukshmaila) (Sd.) 96 g
- Shalaparni (Pl.) 96 g
- Prishniparni (Pl.) 96 g
- Mudgaparni (Pl.) 96 g
- Mashaparni (Pl.) 96 g
- Rasna (Rt./Lf.) 96 g
- Turagandha (Ashvagandha) (Rt.) 96 g
- Saindhava lavana 96 g
- Punarnava (Rakta Punarnava) (Rt.) 96 g
- Shatavararasa (Shatavari) (Rt. Tr.) 3.072 l
- Gavyakshira (Godugdha) 12.288 l
Asparagus racemosus (Wild Asparagus) is known as Shatavar or Shatavari. The fascicled tuberous roots of the plant are of medicinal importance.
The roots are dried after harvesting and may be boiled, peeled and cut into pieces. The dried roots are then ground to make a powder (Shatavri Churna) which is used alone or with other ingredients. Shatavar contains saponins, steroidal glycosides and aglycones, flavonoids including quercetin, rutin and hyperoside, alkaloids and mucilage.
Shatavar is a renowned tonic for the female reproductive system. It is a uterine tonic and regulates the periods. Shatavari is very useful in menopausal symptoms with hot flushes, irritability, irregular memory and dryness.
According to Ayurveda, Shatavari is heavy, cold, bitter, nutritive; it relieves vata and Pitta and is a Rasayana.
- Taste/Rasa: sweet/madhur, bitter/tikta
- Potency/Veerya: cold/sheeta
- Quality/Guna: heavy/guru, unctous/snigdha
- Post digestive/Vipak: sweet/madhur
- Dosha: Reduces Vata and Pitta and increases Kapha
- Tissue/Dhatu: all tissues
Shatavar is galactagogic, antispasmodic, nervine, anti-inflammatory, demulcent, cooling, diuretic, general tonic, expectorant, antibacterial, antitumor and antacid. It is a nourishing, soothing, lubricating and is useful in conditions when the diseases are due to excess heat inside the body. Shatavari’s main action is on the female reproductive tract. It has phyto-estrogenic effect and supports lactation. It nourishes Rasa dhatu and improves milk flow and quantity.
Shatavar use is contraindicated in acute lung congestion, high kapha, low digestive fire and high Ama. While taking Shatavar one should avoid, any activity which generates body heat, eating non-vegetarian or heavy food, hot potency food items, tobacco, sleeping during the day, excessive work, sexual intercourse and exercise.
Sesame Oil is one of the most popular massage oil. It is used as base oil to prepare Ayurvedic medicated oil. It is heavy, unctuous, bitter, astringent and hot in potency. It contains 8 essential amino acids good for the brain and used for head massage since ancient times.
Narayana Taila Ayurvedic Properties and Action
- Rasa (taste on the tongue): Katu (Pungent), Tikta (Bitter)
- Guna (Pharmacological Action): Laghu (Light), Snigdha (Unctuous)
- Virya (Action): Ushna (Heating)
- Vipaka (transformed state after digestion): Katu (Pungent)
Ayurvedic Actions / Karma Narayana Taila
- Anulomna: Anulomna means one which promotes excretions and favour discharge.
- Brinhana: Nourishes the body due to heavy, cold, fine, unctuous, viscid properties.
- Deepana: Promote appetite but do not aid in digesting undigested food.
- Kaphahara: Pacifies Kapha Dosha.
- Pachana: Digests Ama but does not increase appetite.
- Shothahar: Removes inflammation.
- Vatahara: Pacifies Vata Dosha.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Narayan Oil
Narayan Oil is used in the treatment of many neuro- muscular conditions, such as arthritis, neuralgia etc.
- Anda Shula (Testicular pain)
- Antra Vriddhi (Hernia)
- Badhirya (Deafness)
- Dantaroga (Dental disease)
- Galagraha (Difficulty in swallowing), Ekamga Shosha (Wasting of one limb)
- Hanustambha (Lock jaw)
- Kampa (Tremor)
- Kshinendriya (Impaired senses), Kshina Shukra (Oligospermia)
- Lalajihvata (Excess salivation) Medhalpata (Retarded intelligence)
- Manya Stambha (Neck rigidity/Torticollis)
- Pamgu (Paraplegia)
- Shirogata Vata (Neurological disorders of the head)
- Vataroga (Disease due to Vata dosha)
How to use Narayan Oil
This oil is for Internal and External use.
For external use, warm the oil, apply on the painful area and massage warmly and firmly. Cover the area with warm cloth.
Internally, the oil is given in a dose of 5 ml.
The oil is also used for Nasya, or nasal administration of oil.
This oil is also used for Anuvasana Basti. Anuvasana Basti is the treatment of choice in Vatavyadhi. Anuvasana Basti implies enemas with medicated oils, tonics, herbal milks and done by professionals.
Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects and Warnings
- This oil is for both internal and external use.
- Before using internally, read the instruction given on the label of bottle.
- Do patch test before use. If no irritation, rash, sensitivity occur on the tested area then you may use the oil on other affected parts.
- Discontinue if hypersensitivity occurs.
- Externally, it can be used for the long duration.
- It should be stored in well closed containers away from heat.
- Keep out of reach of children.
Pharmacies Making Narayan Oil
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores. Since it is a classical medicine, it is manufactured by many Ayurvedic pharmacies.
Name of some of the Ayurvedic Pharmacies manufacturing this medicine is given below:
- Dindayal Narayan Taila Oil
- Sri Sri Ayurveda Narayan Taila
- and many other Ayurvedic pharmacies.