Table of Contents
- 1 Ayurvedic Action / Karma
- 2 Biomedical Action
- 3 Ingredients of Kokilaksha Kashayam
- 4 Benefits of Kokilaksha Kashayam
- 5 Important Therapeutic Uses of Kokilaksha Kashayam
Kokilaksha Kashayam (Kashaya/Decoction) is a classical Ayurvedic medicine. It is an herbal decoction of Giloy and Kokilaksha and is useful in treatment of gout, arthritis, rheumatism and other similar conditions. Intake of Kokilaksha Kashayam reduces swelling and pain in joints.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
- Reference Text: Bhaishajya Ratnavali, Vata Rakta Chikitsa
- Synonyms: Kokilaksha Kashaya
- Form of Medicine: Herbal decoction
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Classical Medicine
- Main Indication: Rheumatoid arthritis, gout, pain in joints
- Suitable for: Unisex
- Dosha Effect: Balances Vata and Pitta Dosha
Ayurvedic Action / Karma
Vatahara: Pacifies Vata Dosha
Amapachana: Toxin digester
Ama is undigested food toxins produced in body. It means unripe, uncooked, immature and undigested. Ama can be defined as the unmetabolised waste that is not utilized by the body. It is sticky, heavy, viscous, slimy, unctuous, wet, cold, sweet and is the root cause of most of diseases in the body, resulting from excess Vayu or Kapha (or both). Ama Dosha in body causes blockage of the channels, mucus congestion, loss of strength, lack of movement and reverse flow of vata, accumulation of wastes, oedema, low digestive fire, bloating, constipation, itchy anus, thick tongue coating, sluggish and slippery pulse, lack of enthusiasm and stagnation in the tissues.
Accumulation of thick, white coating on tongue indicates Ama inside body. If the tongue is thick, greasy, yellow, swollen than it indicates fermentation of Ama.
Ama is decreased in body by intake of foods which are pungent, hot in potency and pungent after digestion (Katu Vipak).
- Anti-inflammatory: Reducing inflammation by acting on body mechanisms.
- Antioxidant: Neutralize the oxidant effect of free radicals and other substances.
- Antirheumatic: Alleviating or preventing rheumatism.
- Analgesic: Acting to relieve pain.
- Carminative: Preventing the formation or causing the expulsion of flatulence.
- Digestive: Digestant.
- Hepatoprotective: Prevent damage to the liver.
- Immunomodulatory: Modifies the immune response or the functioning of the immune system.
Ingredients of Kokilaksha Kashayam
Kokilaksha Asteracantha longifolia 1 part
Amrita / Giloy Tinospora cordifolia
Kokilaksha consists of dried whole plant of Asteracantha longifolia Nees. Synonym Hygrophila spinosa T. Anders. It is also known as Ikshura, Ikahuraka, Kokilakshi (Sanskrit), Kuliyakhara, Kulekhade (Bengali), Kolavali, Kolarind, Kolavankal (Kannada), Golmidi, Kettu, Nirguvireru, Nerugobbi (Tamil) and Talmakhana.
Kokilaksha is bitter, sweet and sour in taste (Rasa), Snigdha, Picchila (slimy) in Guna (qualities), sweet after digestion (Vipaka), and is cool in effect (Virya).
This plant is tonic, diuretic, aphrodisiac and appetizer. In Ayurveda, this is specially used in gout, swelling, rheumatism and excessive thirst.
Kokilaksha decoction is used as cooling and diuretic agent for urinary disorders (urine block, dropsy, turbid urine) and urinary diseases which occur due to heart, kidney or liver problems. The decoction helps in rheumatism, backache, arthritis, kidney stone and oedema.
Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia), is a climbing deciduous shrub belonging to the family Menispermaceae, found throughout India. It is also known as Guduchi, Amrita, Amritavalli, Madhuparni, Guduchika, Chinnobhava, Vatsadani, Tantrika, Kundalini, Chakralakshanika (Sanskrit), Gurcha (Hindi), Garo, Galac (Gujarati), Thippateega (Telugu),Amrita, Gilo (Kashmiri), Chittamrutu (Malayalam), Guluchi (Oriya), Gilo (Punjabi), Seendal, Seendil Kodi (Tamil), Siddhilata, Amarlata (Assamese).
It is one of the most important medicinal plant and the forms an important drug of the Ayurvedic system of Medicine. It is a broad spectrum medicine and used to treat general debility, fever, diabetes, dyspepsia, urinary infections, jaundice and skin diseases. It has adaptogen, immunostimulant, antioxidant, anticancer and antidiabetic properties. It relieves symptoms of rheumatism. It detoxifies blood and protects liver. Giloy is an effective alterative and tonic.
Benefits of Kokilaksha Kashayam
- It detoxifies body.
- It has diuretic properties.
- It protects liver.
- It gives relief in symptoms of arthritis.
- It improves appetite and digestion.
- It reduces joint swelling, stiffness and pain.
- It is an herbal formulation with no known side-effects.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Kokilaksha Kashayam
Kokilaksha Kashayam is indicated in tenderness, pain, stiffness in joints.
- Rheumatic complaints
- Knee pain due to obesity
- Ankle pain
- Pain in lower back & both knee joints
- Pain & swelling of both knee joints
Dosage of Kokilaksha Kashayam
Liquid: In liquid form, this medicine should be taken in dose of 5-10ml with equal amount of water, twice a day. You may add a pinch of pepper powder in decoction Or take as directed by physician.
Decoction: Boil 10 grams of coarse powder in one glass water till water reduces to half cup. Filter this and divide in two equal parts and drink twice a day.
Tablets: The recommended dosage in form of tablet is 1-2 tablets.
This medicine should be taken twice a day empty stomach or half an hour before meals.
Side effects, Caution and Warnings
- It is completely safe to take this medicine in recommended doses.
- There are no known side-effects of medicine.
- It can be safely taken during breastfeeding.
- Do not take any medicine during pregnancy without consulting doctor.
Pharmacies Making Kokilaksha Kashayam
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores. Since it is a classical medicine, it is manufactured by many Ayurvedic pharmacies.
Name of some of the Ayurvedic Pharmacies manufacturing this medicine are given below:
Kottakkal Arya Vaidya Sala (Kokilaksham Kashayam) Price: 200 ml for Rs.82 /-
AVP (Kokilaksham Kashayam) Price: 200 ml for Rs. 109 /-
Vaidyaratnam (Kokilakshakam Kashayam, liquid)
and many other Ayurvedic pharmacies.