Khamira Banafsha is an Unani medicine. It is a semi-solid preparation, which is particularly used to treat cough, catarrh, common cold, asthma, chest diseases, constipation.
The chief ingredient of this medicine is Gul-e-Banafsha. Gul-e-Banafsha is the flower of plant Viola odorata. It contains different types of chemical constituents including flavonoid, glycosides, alkaloids, steroids, terpenes, saponins and tannins. Banfsha is used in Unani medicine for treating respiratory ailments, bronchitis, whooping cough, fever, skin conditions, cystitis, throat infection and rheumatism due to its anti-inflammatory, diaphoretic, diuretic, emollient, expectorant, antipyretic and laxative properties. As it contains salicylic acid which is used to make aspirin hence effective for the treatment of headaches, migraine and insomnia.
Khameera medicines were not used in Arabic and Persian period but are the invented by Indian Hakims during Mogul period. The word Khamira in the Unani system of medicine indicates fermented confection.
Khamira is a semi-solid preparation but neither thick like Majun nor liquid like syrup. It is prepared by adding a decoction of herbal drugs or powdered drugs to a base (Qiwam) made up of sugar or sugar with honey. Other than herbal ingredients, animal and mineral origin drugs are also mixed. After preparation of solution, it is so triturated that it become frothy and colour turns white due to mixing the air constituents in it. Khamiras have been named on the basis of constituents used for the preparation.
Khamiras usually act as a cardio-tonic, and tonic for brain, liver, and stomach, and is also used for various other ailments like palpitations, weakness of heart, weakness of principal organs, cough, cold, catarrh, including respiratory and nervous disorders. Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
- Synonym: Khamira-e-Banafsha, Khameera Banafsha
- Type of medicine: Classical Unani Medicine
- Purpose: Cold-cough
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Suitable for: Unisex
Unani System of medicine evolved Greece and was first introduced to India by the Arabs. It is also called as Greco-Arab medicine, Unani tibb, Arabian medicine, or Islamic medicine. Hippocrates is known as the father of this system of medicine. The theoretical framework of Unani medicine is based on his teachings.
It is traditional medicinal system and commonly practiced in South Asia. The origins of Unani medicine are found in the doctrines of the ancient Greek physicians Hippocrates and Galen. It was later developed and refined through systematic experiment by the Arabs. Unani medicine are prepared from medicinal plants, minerals, animals products etc. In Unani medicine, single drugs or their combinations in raw forms are preferred over compound formulations. The naturally occurring drugs used in this system are usually free from any side effects.
Ingredients of Khamira Banafsha
- Banafshah (Viola odorata flower) 150gm
- Water 2 liter
- Sugar 1 1/2 kg
- Soak Gul Banafshah (Viola odorata flower) in water at night.
- Boil it in the morning till water remains half.
- Filter it. Mix sugar in filtrate and make Qiwam (Basic Solution of Particular consistency), triturate it till it becomes white.
Benefits of Khamira Banafsha
- It is Munaffis-e-Balgham (expectorant).
- It gives relief in Qabz (constipation).
- It gives relief in Nazla-Zukham (cold-cough).
Important Therapeutic Uses of Khamira Banafsha
- It is used in treatment of ailments of respiratory system.
- It is used in chest diseases and lung diseases.
- It is Mullein (Laxative).
- It is Murattib (moist) Dimagh.
Dosage of Khamira Banafsha
Khamira Banafsha should be taken orally in dose of 10-20 gram (Adult) or 1-2 grams (Children) according to age, weight, health etc.
- It can be taken once or twice a day, depending on condition.
- It may be given before breakfast and in evening.
- It may be taken with Arq Gaozaban 125ml, or water.
Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects and Warnings
- It is safe medicine without any known side-effect.
- Do not take any medicine during pregnancy without consulting doctor.
- It is not suitable for diabetic person due to sugar content.
- Hamdard Laboratories (India)
- Dehlvi Naturals
Store in a cool and dry place in tightly closed containers, protected from light and moisture.