Karkadi Churna is a polyherbal Ayurvedic medicine in powder form. It contains Senna, Triphala, Karak (Pomegranate seeds), salts and other digestion promoting ingredients. This herbal powder is helpful in constipation, low appetite and other similar digestive disorders.
This page is intended to give you correct information about this medicine. Do not use this information to self-diagnose and self-medicate.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
- Manufacturer: Sethi Rasayan Shala
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Classical Medicine
- Main Indication: Constipation
- Appetizer: Improves appetite.
- Alterative: Alter favourably the course of an ailment.
- Carminative: Preventing the formation or causing the expulsion of flatulence.
- Digestive: Digestant.
- Diaphoretic: Promote sweating.
- Laxative: Tending to stimulate or facilitate evacuation of the bowels.
Ingredients of Karkadi Churna
- Anaar / Karak / Pomegranate Seeds 12 grams
- Safed Jeera / Cumin Seeds 12 grams
- Kala Namak / Black salt 12 grams
- Pudina Dry 12 grams
- Haritaki 12 grams
- Vibhitaki 12 grams
- Amalki 12 grams
- Sendha Namak 12 grams
- Sambhar Lavan 12 grams
- Shunthi 12 grams
- Senna / Sanay 120 grams
Know the Ingredients
1- Pomegranate seeds are used as a spice and also as a medicine. They improve appetite, strengthen digestion by stimulating flow of enzymes, and reduce accumulation and helps in indigestion.
2- Safed Jeera or White Cumin has carminative, digestive, aromatic, antispasmodic, diuretic and galactogogue activities. It also possess anti colic effect and gives relief in intestinal spasm. Cumin reduces Vata. Combined with Triphala and dry ginger, it help in digestive sluggishness and bloating. It is considered best herbs for digestive sluggishness.
3- Shunthi (Synonyms: Zingiber officinale, Sukku, Chukku, Aushadha, Muhaushadha, Nagara, Vishva, Vishvabheshaja, Shringavera, Vishva) is dry ginger powder. It is hot in potency and increases pitta and decreases Kapha. It is a digestive stimulant.
4- Triphala (Amla + Harad + Baheda): It is combination of Amalaki, Bibhitaki, and Haritaki and used extensively in Ayurveda for treatment of digestive diseases. It is a tonic for whole body. It has been used in various gastric disorders including intestinal inflammation. It contains vitamin C, linoleic oil, phospholipids and other important nutrients. It is rich source of tannins, which is known to affect the integrity of mucus membrane. Tannins with their protein precipitating and vasoconstriction effects could be advantageous in preventing ulcer development. It is a Rasayana drug and used for detoxifying and tonifying the body.
How to Prepare Karkaadi Churna
- Take the formulated ingredients in given amount,
- Make fine powder of each ingredient and sieve through cloth.
- Mix the powder and store in a bottle.
Benefits of Karkadi Churna
- It has laxative action due to presence of Senna leaves and Triphala and hence gives relief in constipation.
- It supports better digestion and assimilation.
- It improves appetite.
- It contains natural ingredients.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Karkadi Churna
- Beneficial in Chronic constipation
- Mouth ulcer
Dosage of Karkadi Churna
- This herbal powder should be taken in dose of 1-3 grams or 1 teaspoon.
- It should be taken once at bedtime with lukewarm water.
Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects and Warnings
Effectivity of herbal medicine depends on many factor. A medicine suitable for one person may not essentially give same result in another person.
Please note, the doses of Ayurvedic medicines are not fixed. Exact dose depends on the age, strength, digestive power of the patient, the nature of the illness, the state of the viscera and humours, and the properties of individual drugs.
- Keep away from the sight and reach of children.
- Do not take any medicine during pregnancy without consulting doctor.
- It contains salts and hence not suitable for people prescribed to take low sodium diet.
- It contains Senna leaves which is contraindicated in inflammatory bowel disease, intestinal obstruction, pregnancy and lactation.
- Do not take in high dose. It may cause diarrhoea and electrolyte misbalance.