Gelusil MPS Antacid Anti-gas, is an antacid from Pfizer Limited (Pharmacia India Pvt Ltd). It is available in form of tablets and liquid.
It is taken to get relief from heartburn, upset stomach, acidity, burping, nausea, bloating pressure and discomfort. Gelusil contains Magnesium Hydroxide, Aluminium Hydroxide with dimethicone. To know more about this OTC medicine read on.
What is Heartburn?
Heartburn is defined as a form of indigestion felt as a burning sensation in the chest, caused by acid reflux from stomach into the esophagus. It is also known as indigestion, dyspepsia, acidity, hyperacidity.
- Burning sensation in the chest
- Hot, sour, acidic taste at the back of the throat
- Pain in chest, especially after bending over, lying down, or eating.
- Sensation of food stuck in the middle of the chest or throat
- Feeling of discomfort
What is antacid?
- Antacid is a medicine used for preventing or correcting acidity, especially in the stomach.
- They are OTC medicines which neutralize the acid of stomach.
- They are available in form of tablets and liquid. Antacids contain certain common ingredients viz. Aluminium hydroxide, magnesium hydroxide/carbonate/trisilicate. Few extra ingredients are also added in antacids for preventing gas, sore throat etc.
- Antacid are NOT suitable for everyone.
- Antacids are generally considered safe during pregnancy, but it is better to consult doctor before intake.
Ingredients of Gelusil
- GeIusil MPS Tablets:
- Each uncoated tablet contains:
- Dimethicone l.P. 50 mg
- Magnesium Hydroxide I.P 250 mg
- Dried Aluminium Hydrioxide 250 mg
- Magnesium Aluminium Silicate Hydrate 50 mg
- Gelusil MPS Original Liquid & Gelusil MPS Xtra Cool Liquid:
- Each 5 ml (1 teaspoonful) contains:
- Activated Dimethicone I.P. 50 mg
- Magnesium Hydroxide I.P. 250 mg
- Dried Aluminium Hydroxide Gel I.P. 250 mg
- Available Flavors: Gelusil Original flavor and Gelusil Xtra Cool (Mint flavour).
- Inactive ingredients
- Benzyl alcohol, butylparaben, carboxymethylcellulose sodium, flavor, hypromellose, microcrystalline cellulose, propylparaben, purified water, saccharin sodium, sorbitol solution.
Uses of Gelusil
- It is indicated to get immediate relief from occasional, everyday heartburn, acid indigestion, bloating, and gas.
- Hot, bitter, sour taste in mouth by acid reflux
- Acid indigestion
- Bloating, pressure, and discomfort commonly referred to as gas
- Burping, Nausea, Hiccups, Wheezing, dry cough, hoarseness, or chronic sore throat
Dosage of Gelusil
- Tablets: Chew 1-2 to tablets half to one hour after meals or as required. Repeat hourly if symptoms return, or as directed by a physician.
- Liquid: Shake well before use. Take 1-2 teaspoonful (Approx. 5-10 ml) half to one hour after meals or as required.
Consult doctor if you are on magnesium-restricted diet, or have kidney disease.
It may interact with other medicines.
Do not take more than 12 tablets in a 24-hour period, or use the maximum dosage for more than 2 weeks, except under the advice and supervision of a physician.
For Children under 12 years of age give after consulting doctor.
Few side effects may occur like constipation, diarrhea, gas, cramps etc.