Chitrakadi Vati is a classical Ayurvedic tablet referenced from Charakasamhita, Chikitsasthana Adhyaya. This formulation is a combination of herbs, alkalies, and salt, and is indicated in digestive weakness, poor metabolism, and Ama Dosha, and malabsorption syndrome.
Table of Contents
- 1 The composition of Chitrakadi Vati
- 2 Benefits of Chitrakadi Vati
- 3 Medicinal Uses of Chitrakadi Vati
- 4 The dosage of Chitrakadi Vati
- 5 Side effects of Chitrakadi Vati
The principle ingredient of this medicine is Chitrak or Plumbago zeylanica L. (Family: Plumbaginaceae) having stimulant, caustic, digestion, antiseptic, and antiparasitical action. It helps to digest Ama, and dry excess liquid mucus which can dampen the digestive fire. Chitrak must not be used in pregnancy, and it causes abortion/miscarriage due to hot nature.
Chitrakadi Vati or Chitrakadi Gutika is suitable for people having excess Kapha Dosha but is unsuitable for a person having vitiation of Pitta Dosha. It reduces phlegm but increases Pitta due to the warming effect.
Chitrakadi Vati should not be taken in the high blood pressure, and hyperacidity. It is also contraindicated when a person is on low sodium.
The composition of Chitrakadi Vati
Ingredients present in Chitrakadi Vati are given below:
- Chitrak Plumbago Zeylanica 1 part
- Ajmoda Apium Graveolens 1 part
- Marich Black Pepper Piper Nigrum 1 part
- Pippali (Long pepper fruit) Piper Longum 1 part
- Sonth Zingiber Officinale 1 part
- Chavya (Java Long Pepper) Piper Chaba 1 part
- Hing Asafoetida 1 part
- Pippali mool (Long pepper Root) Piper Longum 1 part
- Sambhar Salt 1 part
- Samudra Lavana Common salt 1 part
- Sauvarchala Lavana (Sochal Namak) Black Salt (Kala Namak) 1 part
- Sendha Namak Rock Salt 1 part
- Vida Lavana (Vida salt) Ammonium Salt 1 part
- Sarjika Kshara 1 part
- Yava Kshara (Natural Potash obtained from barley) Hordeum Vulgare 1 part
- Lemon Juice or Pomegranate Juice Q.S.
Benefits of Chitrakadi Vati
Chitrakadi Vati helps in better appetite, and digestion. It stimulates digestion, and reduces gas, and congestion in the body. It is more suitable for a person with vata-Kapha vikar.
Chitrakadi Vati is hot in action. It stimulates digestion. It is more suitable for people having Vishamagni, and Vata-Kapha Prakriti in which there is irregular appetite, variable hunger, bloating, indigestion, intestinal cramps, constipation, dry stool, borborygmus, and gas.
Take Chitrakadi Vati before food to correct the condition.
Chitrakadi Vati reduces Ama Dosha. Ama is the undigested food which results due to Mandagni (sluggish digestive fire) which is caused due to various reasons.
The stagnant Ama is called Ama visha. This combination has qualities of Deepen (appetizer), and Katu (pungent), and Virechan, and helps in detoxification.
Chitrakadi Vati is light, and drying. It reduces Vata due to the presence of Asafetida, Trikatu, and other ingredients.
Medicinal Uses of Chitrakadi Vati
- Ama Dosha- Products of impaired digestion, and Constipation
- Digestion-related ailments
- Digestive impairment
- Gas, and discomfort
- Low appetite
- Malabsorption syndrome
- Metabolism/consequences of Ama
The dosage of Chitrakadi Vati
- The recommended dosage is 1 to 2 tablets or 250 mg to 500 mg.
- It can be taken once or twice a day with warm water.
Do not exceed the dosage.
Contraindications of Chitrakadi Vati
- It should not be taken in the following conditions:
- Burning sensation in the abdomen
- Dryness in the body
- High level of sodium
- High Pitta with inflamed skin
- Low sodium diet
- People on fertility treatment
- Sodium restricted diet
- Ulcerative colitis
Side effects of Chitrakadi Vati
Side effects include:
- Burning sensation
- Excessive dryness in the body
- Increases Pitta
- Sour burp
- Water retention
Drug Interactions of Chitrakadi Vati
- It increases sodium level in the body, and can reduce the effectivity of hypertension medicines.
- It can interact with diuretic medicines.
Use in Pregnancy
- It is UNSAFE in pregnancy.
- No research is available about its use in pregnant, and breastfeeding women.
- It can cause high blood pressure, and water retention so avoid its use in pregnancy.
- It is warming in action, and such medicines are contraindicated in pregnancy as per Ayurveda.
Patanjali CHitrakadi Vati Price
20 grams @ Rs 47.