Arq Kasni, is a Unani medicine. Its name is due to its chief ingredient Tukhm Kasni (Cichorium intybus seed). Arq Kasni is prepared by aqueous distillation of chicory seeds. It is useful in diseases of liver, excessive thirst, and urinary diseases. It reduces inflammation of liver and is effective in treatment of hepatitis.
Unani System of medicine evolved Greece and was first introduced to India by the Arabs. It is also called as Greco-Arab medicine, Unani tibb, Arabian medicine, or Islamic medicine. Hippocrates is known as the father of this system of medicine. The theoretical framework of Unani medicine is based on his teachings.
It is traditional medicinal system and commonly practiced in South Asia. The origins of Unani medicine are found in the doctrines of the ancient Greek physicians Hippocrates and Galen. It was later developed and refined through systematic experiment by the Arabs. Unani medicine are prepared from medicinal plants, minerals, animals products etc. In Unani medicine, single drugs or their combinations in raw forms are preferred over compound formulations. The naturally occurring drugs used in this system are usually free from any side effects.
Ingredients of Arq Kasni
Tukhme Kasni (Cichorium intybus seed) 250gm
- Water 5 liter
- Preparation: The seeds are soaked in water for 24 hours to get the infusion. Next morning, it is distilled by Quraambiq or reflaxing apparatus. From 5 liter infusion, 3 liter distillate is obtained.
- Chief Ingredient: Tukhme Kasni (Cichorium intybus seed) Kasni seeds have hepatoprotective activity and prevent damage to liver. It also prevents fatty liver.
Action of Arq Kasni
- Musakkin Safra wa Dam (Blood and bile sedative)
- Nafe Suda Haar (Beneficial in Headache)
- Mohallil Auram (Resolvant)
- Musakkin Atash (Thirst sedative)
- Coolant, refrigerant
Uses of Arq Kasni
- Swelling and enlargement of liver
- Warm Jiger (Hepatitis), cirrhosis of the liver, jaundice, dropsy, Bilious Liver
- Antiphlogistic (Reducing inflammation or fever)
- Atash (Thirst)
- Suda Haar (Headache)
- Polydipsia (Excessive Thirst)
- Biliousness of the Kidney & Bladder
- Painful urination, Burning Micturition
- Bilious heat
Dosage of Arq Kasni
The dosage of Ark Kasni is 125 ml before breakfast.
- Do not drink alcohol.
- Avoid fried foods, excessive salt, sugary foods, maida, artificial sweeteners and food which is difficult to digest.
- Eat more of citrus fruits, carrots, beetroot, broccoli, walnuts, blueberries, avocados, cabbage, cauliflower and other fresh fruits and vegetable.