Arq Badyan (Arq-e-Badiyan) is Unani medicine. It is obtained by hydro distillation of fennel or Saunf. Saunf or Fennel (Foeniculum vulgare), is appetizer, stimulant, carminative, galactagogue, and stomachic and given for relieving flatulence, griping of the bowels and stomachache.
Arq Badyan is useful in colic pain, vomiting, flatulence, indigestion, fullness, loss of appetite, burning syndrome, biliousness, anorexia and diseases due to vitiated blood.
- Also Known as: ArqeBadiyan, Arq e Badyan
- Type of medicine: Classical Unani Medicine
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Suitable for: Unisex
- Availability: Online and at medical stores.
- Dhatu (tissue): Plasma, blood, muscles, nerve
- Srotas (channel): Digestive, respiratory, nervous, urinary, reproductive, lactation
What is Ark / Arq?
Arka / Arq can be defined as a liquid obtained by distillation of certain liquids or drugs soaked in water using distillation apparatus. The drugs are boiled in distillation apparatus to get the vapors which on condensation give Ark of desired herb. Ark contains the volatile part of drug.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
Ingredients of Arq Badyan
Composition of Arq Badiyan:
- Badyan (Fennel Seeds)
For preparation of Ark, the dried herbs are cleaned and coarsely powdered. Some quantity of water is added to it for soaking and kept over-night. Soaking helps to soften the herb and when boiled releases the essential volatile principles easily. Next morning this is poured into the distillation apparatus and boiled. The vapour is condensed and collected in a receiver. In the beginning, the vapour consists of only steam and may not contain the essential principles of the drugs. It should therefore be discarded. The last portion also may not contain therapeutically essential substance and should be discarded. The aliquots collected in between contain the active ingredients and may be mixed together to ensure uniformity of the Arka.
It is a suspension of the distillate in water having slight turbidity and colour according to the nature of the drugs used and smell of the predominant drug.
Biomedical Action of Arq Badiyan
- Antiflatulent: Alleviate or prevent excessive intestinal gas, i.e., flatulence.
- Antispasmodic: Relieve spasm of involuntary muscle.
- Appetizer: Improves appetite.
- Carminative: Preventing the formation or causing the expulsion of flatulence.
- Digestive: Digestant, help in digestion.
- Diuretic: Promoting excretion of urine/agent that increases the amount of urine excreted.
Benefits of Arq Badyan
It has expectorant, digestive, stimulant and carminative properties. It is given alone or as an adjuvant with other medicines in case of common digestive problems such as colic pain, indigestion, diarrhea or upset stomach.
- It gives relief in gastrointestinal spasms and abdominal cramps.
- It gives relief in nausea and vomiting.
- It has goodness of fennel.
- It improves appetite.
- It is good for digestion.
- It is herbal medicine.
- It is safe to take.
- It is useful for kidney and spleen.
- It normalizes their function and relieves flatulence.
- It prevents and expels gas in digestive tract.
- It reduces burning sensation.
- It reduces excessive heat inside body.
- It is useful in liver, stomach and intestinal disorders.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Arq Badyan
- Digestive Problems such as colic pain, gas, bloating, abdominal distension, indigestion, griping of the bowels, stomachache, hyperacidity, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting, constipation etc.
- Disorders of females such as menstrual cramps, pain during periods, less breast milk, pain in vulva etc.
- Respiratory Problems such as Cough, Dry Cough, Asthma
- Urinary problems such as Difficult or Burning Urination
Dosage of Arq Badyan
- The recommended dosage of Ark Badiyan is 20ml-120ml.
- It can be taken mixed with Sharbat Kasni 25 ml for liver disorders.
- The medicine should be taken empty stomach. Take in either one hour before meal or 3-4 hours after having meal.
- This medicine can be taken twice or thrice a day.
Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects and Warnings
- It is completely safe to take this medicine in recommended doses.
- Keep away from the sight and reach of children.
- High doses of fennel may stimulate the uterus in some woman. Fennel in medicinal amounts should be avoided during pregnancy.
- Effectivity of herbal medicine depends on many factors. A medicine suitable for one person may not essentially give same result in another person.
- Exact dose depends on the age, strength, digestive power of the patient, the nature of the illness, the state of the viscera and humours, and the properties of individual drugs.
- To avoid drug interaction, do not take fennel and medicines together. Maintain a gap of minimum two hours.
- Take Saunf arka empty stomach.
- Hamdard Arq Badyan 500 ml @ Rs 50.00
- Rex (U&A) Remedies Pvt. Ltd. Arq Badyan
- Store in a cool and dry place in tightly closed containers,
- Protected from light and moisture.