Himalaya is pure herb extract of Boerhavia diffusa. It is available in the form of capsules and each capsule contains 250 mg extract of Boerhavia diffusa. It possess significant diuretic and anti-inflammatory properties.
Punarnava is one of the best herb used for diseases of liver and kidney. Punarnava is diuretic and decreases urinary albumin, urinary protein excretion and specific gravity. It is also a urinary antiseptic. The plant is recommended for the treatment of urolithiasis. It helps to reduce swelling by losing extra fluid from body. It also helps in enlargement of liver, cirrhosis of liver, jaundice, dropsy, oedema and similar inflammatory conditions.
The herb exhibits significant anti-inflammatory, laxative and diuretic action along with stomachic, expectorant, rejuvenative, diaphoretic and emetic properties.
As Punarnava is anti-fibrinolytic and anti-inflammatory it is used in menstrual disorder like menorrhagia, dysmenorrhea and to stop intrauterine contraceptive device (IUCD) induced bleeding. The anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties of Punarnava is comparable to that of ibuprofen.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
- Manufacturer: Himalaya Drug Company
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Pure Herb extract of Spreading Hogweed/Boerhavia diffusa
- Main Indication: UTI urinary tract infections
- Biomedical action: Diuretic, lithagogue, cardiotonic, digestive
- MRP/Price: Himalaya Punarnava 60 Capsules, @ Rs 135.00 /-
Vernacular names / Synonyms of Punarnava
- Scientific name: Boerhavia diffusa
- Sanskrit: Bhauma, Kathillaka, Krishnakhya, Krura, Lohita, Mandalpatrika, Nava, Navya, Nila, Nilapunarnava, Nilavarshabhu, Nilini, Pravrishenya, Punarbhava, Punarnava, Raktakanda, Raktapatrika, Raktapunarnava, Raktapushpa, Raktapushpika, Raktavarshabu, Sarini, Shilatika, Shonapatra, Shophagni, Shothagni, Shyma, Swatapunarnava, Vaishakhi, Varshabhava, Varshabhu, Varshaketu, Vikasvara, Vishaghni, Vishakarpara
- Assamese: Ranga Punarnabha
- Bengali: Rakta punarnava
- English: Hog weed, Pig weed, Spreading Hog weed
- Gujrati: Dholisaturdi, Motosatodo
- Hindi: Gadhapurana, Gadapurna, Lalpunarnava, Sant, Thikri, Beshakapore, Lal Punarnava
- Kannada: Komme gida, Sanadika, Kommeberu, Komma, Teglame, Ganajali
- Kashmiri: Vanjula Punarnava
- Malayalam: Thazhuthama, Thavizhama, Chuvanna Tazhutawa
- Marathi: Ghetuli, Vasuchimuli, Satodimula, Punarnava, Khaparkhuti
- Oriya: Lalapuiruni, Nalipuruni
- Punjabi: ltcit (Ial), Khattan
- Tamil: Karichcharanai, Mukaratte, Mukurattai, Mukkaraichchi
- Telugu: Atika mamidi, Atikamamidi, Erra galijeru
- Sinhalese: Pitasudupala, Pitasudu-sarana
Ingredients of Himalaya Punarnava
Each capsule contains 250mg extract of Boerhavia diffusa
Punarnava is astringent, bitter, sweet in taste (Rasa), sweet after digestion (Vipaka), and is hot in effect (Virya).
- Rasa (taste on tongue): Kashaya (Astringent), Madhura (Sweet), Tikta (Bitter)
- Guna (Pharmacological Action): Laghu (light), Ruksha (Dry)
- Virya (Action): Ushna (Heating)
- Vipaka (transformed state after digestion): Katu (Pungent)
Punarnava alleviates Kapha and Vayu, reduce Ama and cure durnaman (piles), vradhna (inguinal lymphadenitis), sopha (oedema) and udara (obstinate abdominal diseases including ascites.) It is laxative and hot in potency. It is Rasayana (rejuvenating).
Ayurvedic Action / Karma
- Anulomna: Anulomna means one which promote excretions and favor discharge. Takes vata / wind downward, mild laxative
- Kaphahara: Pacifies Kapha Dosha
- Mutrakrcichraghna: Alleviates Dysuria
- Mutral: Diuretics, increase the flow of urine
- Pittahar: Reduces Pitta
- Rasayana: Improve the quality of the tissues.
- Shleshmahar: Reduces phlegm.
- Shothagna: Reduces swelling and inflammation, relieves edema
- Vish har: Antidote to toxins.
Benefits of Himalaya Punarnava
- It is diuretic and promotes urination.
- It is effective in odema or abnormal accumulation of fluid in the interstitium, located beneath the skin and in the cavities of the body.
- It cleanses the kidneys and helps to get rid of kidney stones.
- It protects nephrons of kidney from damage.
- It is laxative and helps the body to get rid of waste material.
- It cleanses the body by flushing out the toxins due to its diaphoretic, diuretic and laxative action.
- It has anthelmintic action and kills intestinal worms.
- It is a very good nerve rejuvenator and helps in sciatica, nervous weakness and paralysis.
- It increases serum protein level and reduce urinary protein extraction.
- It significantly decreases blood glucose level but increase plasma insulin levels. This helps to better control sugar level in blood.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Himalaya Punarnava
- Arthritic swellings
- Bladder infections
- High Uric acid level
- Impaired urinary function
- Internal inflammations
- Menorrhagia, excessive menstrual bleeding
- Nephrotic syndrome
- Oedema and ascites
- Reducing excess fluids, swelling, oedemab and congestion from excess kapha
- UTI Urinary tract infection
Dosage of Himalaya Punarnava
The recommended dosage of medicine is One capsule.
- It should be taken twice a day, in the morning and evening.
- It is to be taken with water.
- Or take as directed by doctor.
Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects and Warnings
- It is completely safe to take this medicine in recommended doses.
- Effectivity of herbal medicine depends on many factors. A medicine suitable for one person may not essentially give same result in another person.
- Exact dose depends on the age, strength, digestive power of the patient, the nature of the illness, the state of the viscera and humours, and the properties of individual drugs.
- Keep away from the sight and reach of children.
- It is diuretic.
- It absorbs fluids from the digestive system and can be constipating.
- In larger doses, it causes vomiting.
No drug–herb interactions are known but caution with sedative, antidepressive and antiepileptic medication. There is potential for a positive potentiation of ACE inhibitors.
Toxicological studies conducted on Punarnava demonstrated the absence of teratogenic and mutagenic effects. The ethanol extract was administered twice daily in pregnant female albino rats during the entire period of gestation. It did not cause any teratogenic effect or foetal abnormality.