Joshanda is an herbal medicine from Unani Tibb systems of medicine. Unani Tibb is an Islamic medical tradition practiced in Pakistan, India and other parts of South East Asia. Joshanda is prepared from seven medicinal herbs and used traditionally as a home remedy for treatment of common cold. Joshanda is a Persian word derived from Joshanidan (boiling) and Andah (prepared by). So the literal meaning of Joshanda is one which is “prepared by boiling”. This formulation is prepared like an herbal decoction.
Joshanda is used for common cold, coughs, nasal congestions, influenza, catarrh, seasonal changes, allergic reactions and fever due to excess cough.
Joshina, another Unani medicine is convenient and ready from of Joshanda. Joshina 10 ml, is mixed in half a cup of hot water in the morning and at night. Joshina is modern form of Joshanda.
Ingredients of Joshanda
- Althea officinalis (Khatmi) seeds 6 grams
- Cordia latifolia (Sapistan) dried fruit 5 grams
- Glycyrrhiza glabra (Mulethi) dried rhizomes 3 grams
- Malva rotundifolia (Khubbazi) seeds 6 grams
- Onosma bracteatum (Gaozaban) leaves 3 grams
- Viola odorata (Banafsha) flowers 4 grams
- Zizyphus jujuba (Unnab) dried fruit 6 grams
Benefits of Joshanda
- It has anti-bacterial, anti-microbial, anti-allergic, demulcent and expectorant action.
- It has bronchodilatory properties.
- It gives relief in cough, cold, mucus, and spasm.
- It reduces inflammation.
- It reduces congestion, throat irritation and cough.
- It is herbal.
Uses of Joshanda
- Drinking Joshanda gives relief in cold, cough, catarrh, flu, phlegm, and congestion.
- Cold, Cough
- Flu, Sore throat
- Upper and lower respiratory catarrh
- Chronic respiratory catarrh
How to prepare Joshanda
Take 5 gram and add it in 225 ml water. Boil it till half/quarter of it remains. Take it lukewarm before going to bed and breakfast.
Or prepare as per direction given on packet or sachet.
You can buy this medicine online. This medicine is manufactured by Hamdard and many other pharmacies.