Metronidazole is an Allopathic oral synthetic antiprotozoal and antibacterial agent, 1-(?-hydroxyethyl)-2-methyl-5-nitroimidazole. This medicine was introduced in 1950s for treating bacterial infections of stomach, joints, respiratory tract and vagina. It has wide spectrum of activity against protozoal infections and anaerobic bacterial infections.
Since it is an antibiotic so it must not be taken to treat viral infection but only to treat or prevent infections that are proven or strongly suspected to be caused by bacteria.
Metronidazole is indicated in Treatment of Symptomatic Trichomoniasis (STD disease, Asymptomatic Trichomoniasis acute intestinal amebiasis (amebic dysentery) amebic liver abscess Anaerobic Bacterial Infections.
Dosage of Metronidazole
- Adult: Amoebiasis 400-800 mg 3 times/day for 5-10 days.
- Trichomoniasis: One-day treatment 2 grams tablet, either as a single dose or in 2 divided doses of one gram each given in the same day. Seven-day treatment 250 mg 3 times daily for seven consecutive days.
- Acute dental infections: Acute necrotising ulcerative gingivitis 200 mg 3 times/day.
- Anaerobic bacterial infections Initial: 800 mg, then 400 mg 8 hourly for about 7 days.
- Antibiotic-associated colitis: 250-500 mg 2-3 times/day for 10-14 days.
- Anaerobic bacterial infections: 500 mg 8 hourly.
- Rectal Anaerobic infections; As supp: 1 g, 8 hourly for 3 days, then 12 hourly.
- Topical Bacterial vaginosis: 0.75% gel: Apply 5 g 1-2 times/day for 5 days.
How to take Metronidazole Suspension and Tablets
Suspension: Should be taken on an empty stomach. Take at least 1 hr before meals; Tablet: Should be taken with food.
It is important that the medicine must be taken for full prescribed length of time. Otherwise symptoms improves but the infection is not fully cured. Missing the doses increases the risk of further infection. Also Alcohol must not be consumed during the treatment with this drug as well as for at least 3 days after completion of treatment with Metronidazole. Metronidazole must not be taken during pregnancy.
Side effects of Metronidazole
Nausea, unpleasant metallic taste, vomiting, diarrhoea/constipation; stomatitis due to overgrowth of Candida; headache, drowsiness, insomnia, changes in mood or mental state. Numbness or tingling in the extremities; Hypersensitivity reactions. Urethral discomfort and darkening of urine. Raised liver enzyme values, jaundice; faster heartbeats. Pregnancy Category (US FDA): B