Table of Contents
Are you thinking of increasing physical activity in your life? Have you thought about a walk? Walking is a great way to become more active and is the most popular physical activity in adults.
The information and tips below can help you to walk daily and make this a part of physical activity.
What are the benefits of walking?
Walking has two advantages that it is easy to do and it is very unlikely to cause injury. There is no expense in walking because you do not need special equipment, clothes, facilities or training because a walk can easily fit your schedule, needs and abilities, if you are inactive then walking in beginning is a good way to start.
Health Benefits of Walk
Like other types of regular physical activity, fast walking (brisk walking) is also very beneficial for health, some of the benefits are given below:
- Good for controlling high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease, and type 2 diabetes
- Strengthen bones and muscles
- You burn more calories
- Improve fitness
- Mood improvement
Should you consult a doctor before starting a walk?
Most people do not need to see a doctor before starting a walk. However, you should talk to your doctor about the following problems:
- You have a chronic health problem such as heart disease, diabetes, or high blood pressure
- You are over 40 years old and inactive
- If you feel dizzy while walking, you should also talk to your doctor, feel faint or short of breath, or chest, neck, shoulder or arm pain while walking
How much should I walk?
Adults should exercise 150 minutes or 2.5 hours per week of moderate-intensity to be healthy. Aerobic physical activity is the activity that speeds up your heartbeat and breath. Walking is an example of a moderate-intensity aerobic activity. Walking at a brisk pace for 30 minutes per day, 5 days a week will help you meet your goal of 150 minutes per week. But any 10-minute physical activity is good for you. If you cannot walk for 30 minutes at a time, you can walk 3 times for 10-10 minutes.
To get more health benefits and control your weight, you should walk more than 150 minutes a week. You should aim to walk 5 days a week or 300 minutes or 1 hour daily. The more you walk, the more health benefits you will get.
How should I start walking?
Walking is an easy way to start physical activity because many people can start a walk within a few days or weeks without planning. Follow these four steps for the walk:
1. Set a goal and plan to reach that goal.
Set realistic goals – such as walking 10 to 15 minutes, three times a week – and having a plan to reach them, so that you can do it for a longer time.
To set your goals and make an action plan you think of the following like
- How far and how often do you initially walk
- You want to walk for 6 months
- Or do you want to walk for 1 year
- Where will you speak
- What day and time will you speak
- Which friend or family member will you speak with
2. Be prepared for a walk
Make sure you have everything you need for a walk, such as
- Shoes must be of good quality, have good cushioning
- Have comfortable clothes
- Take sunscreen and sunglasses or a hat to avoid sunlight
- Hat or scarf to cover the ear and head if it is a frosty season
- Warm clothes in winter
3. Keep walking
You divide the walking into three parts:
- Start by walking slowly
- Increase your speed slowly, brisk walking means that your heart beats should move faster, but you should be able to speak and breathe easily.
- Reduce your speed before you finish the speech
While walking, be sure to use the appropriate form:
- Keep your heel up and your shoulders slightly back and relaxed.
- Look ahead, not on the ground
- Keep your back straight instead of arched front or back
- Touch the heel of your foot first and then move your weight forward.
- Keep your toes straight
- Move your arms naturally
4. What else can you do?
As the walking gets easier, you keep increasing your speed. Start slowly by climbing the stairs or climbing the slope, which will increase your capacity continuously.
Should I Stretch Before Walking?
Research on when to do stretching is still going on, but you can walk slowly for some time before starting to walk, this will warm your body, then you can stretch. Similarly, to cool down, walk slowly for some time and then stretch.
How to make a walking habit?
To make habit of any new thing, it is most important that you keep doing it, try to adopt the tips given below:
- Walk to a place where you enjoy, such as a park or shopping center or some other place.
As you walk, listen to your favorite music, but keep the voice so that you can listen to the activities around you.
- Bring a friend or family member along, so that he or she can help you and it will not make you bored.
- Always keep Plan B ready as if you cannot go to the park due to any reason or the weather is bad, then you can walk in any shopping mall, parking of your building or office.
- Track your progress on paper, online or on the fitness app for your phone or computer, such as date, distance. Mobile applications like tracking help you achieve your goals, so use them. Apart from this, you should also keep a record of your weight.