Kali Jeeri, Methi and Ajwain are well known medicinal ingredients used in many home remedies. These herbal ingredients can be powdered and taken daily to promote good health.
Table of Contents
- 1 Herbs used to reduce weight
- 2 How to Make Kalijiri, Methi and Ajwain Powder
- 3 Kalijiri, Methi and Ajwain Powder Benefits
- 4 Dosage of Powder
- 5 Kalijiri, Methi and Ajwain side effects
The dry roasted powder of Kali Jeeri, Methi and Ajwain helps to reduce cholesterol and weight. It can be taken daily to manage sugar level. It boosts metabolism and thus helps in reducing weight.
Herbs used to reduce weight
- English Name: Purple fleabane, Worm seed fleabane
- Sanskrit Name: Somaraji, Vanyajiraka, Aranyajirakah, Brhatpali
- Hindi Name: Kaalijeeree, Karajiri, Soharaai
- Tamil Name: Kattu Jeerakam, Kattu Jeeragam
- Telugu Name: Adavijilakara, Garetikamma
The Botanical name of Kali Jeeri is Vernonia anthelmintica (L.) Willd. Syn. Centratherum anthelminticum (L.) Kuntze. It belongs to plant family Asteraceae. Kali Jeeri is an annual, robust, erect herb, found throughout India upto 1850 m. in Himalaya and Khasi hills and often cultivated. It is a weed growing in waste places near villages and bears seeds in the month of May to June.
Kali Jeeri seeds are 3 to 5 mm. long and 1 to 2 mm. in diameter. The seeds taper towards base. The surface exhibits about 20 longitudinal ridges. It is hairy, blackish-brown to black in colour. The seeds taste bitter and odour is indistinct.
Kali Jeeri contains Avenasterol, vernosterol, essential oil, resins and fixed oil consisting of myristic, palmitic, stearic, oleic, linoleic and vernolic acids.
- English Name: Fenugreek
- Sanskrit Name: Methi, Methini
- Hindi Name: Methi
- Tamil Name: Mentiyam
- Telugu Name: Mentulu
Methi is the seed of Trigonella foenum-graecum L. (Fam. Fabaceae), an aromatic, 30 to 60 cm. tall, annual herb, cultivated throughout the country.
Methi poowder is Yellow in colour and contain oil. Diosgenin, tigogenin, neotigogenin, yamogenin, gitogenin, neogitogenin, sonilagenin, sarsasaposanin, vitexin, isovitexin, vicenin 1 and 2, trigonellin, kaempferol, luteolin, quercetin, ßsitosterol, furostanol glycosides, tetrosides B and C, fenugini B, trigoneosides – Xa, Xb, XIb, XIIa, XIIb, XIIIa , methyl protodioscin, methyl protodeltonin and 4- hydroxy- isoleucine are present in Methi seeds.
- English Name: Bishop’s weed
- Sanskrit Name: Dipyaka, Yamani, Yamanik¡, Yavanika
- Hindi Name: Ajwain, Jevain
- Tamil Name: Omam
- Telugu Name: Vamu
Ajwain consists of dried fruit of Trachyspermum ammi (Linn.) Sprague ex Turril Syn. Carum copticum Benth & Hook. f. Ptychotis ajwan DC. (Fam. Umbelliferae), an annual, erect herb, upto 90 cm tall, cultivated almost throughout India, uprooted and thrashed for collecting the fruits. Ajwain powder is Oily, greyish-brown and contain Oil globules.
How to Make Kalijiri, Methi and Ajwain Powder
You can prepare this medicinal powder at home. For, this you will require following ingredients in given amount.
- Kali Jeeri 50 grams
- Ajwain 100 gram
- Methi Dana 250 grams
Method of Preparation
- Take the above-mentioned ingredients separately, sieve and remove any stone or other impurity.
- Now take a thick base pan and put Kali jeeri in it to dry roast. Roast only for a minute. Remove it and put in a plate.
- Repeat this process for other 2 ingredients.
- Separately grind each ingredient in mixer-grinder jar to get powder.
- Mix three powders to get Kalijiri, Methi and Ajwain Powder.
Kalijiri, Methi and Ajwain Powder Benefits
Kalijiri, Methi and Ajwain Powder has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, larvicidal, antiviral, antifungal, anticancer, anthelmintic, antioxidant, analgesic, antipyretic, anti-inflammatory, diuretic, wound healing and antidiabetic effects. It has significant antidiabetic effect and can be used to manage blood sugar level.
Controls Sugar Level
Kalijiri, Methi and Ajwain Powder is beneficial in diabetes. It corrects insulin resistance by inhibiting
either fructose absorption in intestine or triglycerides synthesis in liver. It enhances receptor sensitivity for insulin and correcting carbohydrate utilization in body cells.
Obesity is excess deposition of fat on the body. It can be due to slow metaboilsm, sedentary
life style, increased intake of high calorie (energy and fat) and many other factors.
Kalijiri, Methi and Ajwain Powder contains bioactive constituents such as saponins, anthocyanins, flavonoids, diterpenes, triterpenes, and other phytochemicals.
Increases Urination and Reduces Swelling
Kalijiri, Methi and Ajwain Powder reduces swelling by prostaglandin inhibition, reduced myeloperoxidase and antitransudation.
The use of this medicinal powder increases the rate of urine flow and sodium excretion which help the body to get rid of fluid retention.
Dosage of Powder
- The recommended dosage of Kalijiri, Methi and Ajwain Powder is 1 teaspoon.
- This powder can be taken with one glass of lukewarm water. Put 1 teaspoon of powder on mouth and drink one glass of water.
- You can mix this powder in curd and take with meal.
- You may also take this powder with buttermilk.
Kalijiri, Methi and Ajwain side effects
It is non-toxic, but it can cause nausea or vomiting. If vomiting happens then it should be taken in less quantity.
Few side effects that can occur in large amount:
- Abdominal cramps
Some people may be allergic to it. Symptoms of allergies can be:
- Swelling in the tongue
- Skin rashes
- stomach ache
- Inclination of mouth
- Flush around the lips
Use during Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
- Do not take it in pregnancy.
- While Breastfeeding, it can be takes in small amounts.