Abdominal gas or flatulence is a common and frequent digestive trouble. The excessive gas is present in digestive system and caused due to digestion of food items and swallowing of air while eating or talking. The trapped gas can cause discomfort and abdominal pain. The symptom of too much abdominal gas are burping, flatulence, and bloating. This gas is expelled from either mouth as burps or from anus.
There are certain food items that produces more flatus compared to others such as fibrous food, nuts, etc. There are few foods that causes more gas compared to other.
Here is list of such items.
- Pulses and legumes such as black gram, bengal gram, urad, rajma
- Vegetables such as Cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, mushrooms, beans, peas
- Sprouts such as Brussels, chana
- Carrot, radish, cucumber, onion, garlic
- Fruits such as Apples, Grapes, Bananas
- Nuts such as Groundnuts, Cashew
- Refined wheat flour, Besan, fast food, Biscuits, namkeen
- Dairy products, milk, cheese, paneer
- Fibrous and fermented food (dosa, idli, pickles, etc.
- Caffeinated drinks such as Tea, Coffee
- Carbonated drinks, soda, apple juice, pear juice
- Spicy and fried foods
- Chewing gums, hard candy, beer
- Sugar free candies containing sorbitol, mannitol, and xylitol
Smoking also causes acidity, gastric and other digestion problems.
Most of the carbohydrate and fibre containing food causes gas as these does not get fully digested in the body. The undigested food moves to intestine where bacteria break down these to produce gas.
Some food produces more gas in one person but not in others. So one should try to find such items and try to avoid or eat that food in moderation.
There are various home remedies that are helpful in getting relief from this trouble. Also eating habit and lifestyle changes, including daily exercise regime are helpful. While eating proper chewing and no talking helps to prevent swallowing of air and thus gas.
Few tips that help in reducing abdominal gas
If a person suffers from gas frequently then he/she try to find the food responsible for same by observing and noting that item in diet.
- Do not eat food too fast and without proper chewing.
- Avoid smoking. Try to cut it down are quit it completely.
- Check for lactose intolerance
- In case you wear denture, have proper fitting
- Avoid chewing gums, candies
- Do some regular exercise and avoid sitting or sleeping immediately after having meals