Many time we are advised or asked to take bland diet specially when we are suffering from stomach problems or other diseases. Bland diet is very helpful in treatment of many stomach health problems as well as other illness.
- What is Bland diet?
- When you should take Bland diet?
- General guideline to make you to make you bland diet more effective
- List of food groups to define bland diet
What is Bland diet?
Bland diet is combination of foods which are easy to digest means soft, less in fibre, less in oil and spices. In bland diet you cannot take fried, spicy and raw foods. In bland diet all required nutrients are present, only their texture is changed so that they can easily digested.
When you should take Bland diet?
You can take bland diet to treat used ulcers, heartburn, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and gas along with your prescribed medication (if any). Bland diet is very good when you are recovering from any serious health problem.
In Ayurveda for treatment of jaundice, bland diet is recommended for 1-3 months to cleanse you liver and body naturally.
General guideline to make you to make you bland diet more effective
- Eat three or more small regular meals a day without snacks since all food stimulates acid output.
- Eat foods slowly, chew well and avoid stomach distention with large quantities of food.
- Cook by baking, boiling, broiling, roasting, stewing, microwaving or creaming and avoid frying.
- Choose whole grain, enriched, or refined breads and cereals. Avoid large amounts of unprocessed bran as they are high in fibre.
- Avoid caffeinated beverages, coffee and tea products because of the caffeine, theobromine, and tannins.
- Use milk(low fat) sparingly because it stimulates gastric acid secretion.
- Use salt and very mild seasonings. Avoid heavy spices such as chili peppers, black pepper, chili powder and highly seasoned foods.
- Citric acid juices may be irritating to some individuals.
- Avoid aspirin, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, alcohol and smoking.
Here are list of food groups to define bland diet
Included in Bland Diet
Not included in Bland Diet
|Bread and Starches|
|Eat 6 to 8 servings a day from this list:
1/2 cup cream of wheat
1/2 cup cooked white rice
1/2 cup mashed potatoes
1/2 cup cooked pasta, noodles, or macaroni
6 small (2 inch square) saltine crackers
1 slice white bread
1 medium size (2?1/2 inch) roll or bun
|Barbecue and taco chips
Bran and granola cereals
Breads and rolls with nuts, seeds, or bran
Hard crackers, such as Ry?Krisp®
Potato chips, french fries, and fried potatoes
Whole?grain breads and rolls
|Eat 2 to 3 servings a day from this list:
1/2 cup cooked or mashed vegetables without stems and seeds
1/2 cup carrots
1/2 cup green beans
1/2 cup onions and celery in soups
1/2 cup summer squash or zucchini
1/2 cup winter squash
Broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, and other vegetables that cause gas
Mild or hot peppers Sauerkraut and pickled vegetables
Tomato products, such as tomato paste, tomato sauce, and tomato juice
|Eat 2 to 3 servings a day from this list:
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup canned or cooked fruits without skins or seeds
1/2 cup mild juices, such as apple, grape, and pear
1/2 of a 9 inch banana or 1 small (5 inch) banana
|Do not eat or drink these foods:
Berries with seeds, such as strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries
Cranberry, orange, pineapple, and grapefruit juice
Citrus fruits, such as oranges, grapefruits, lemons, limes, and pineapples
|Eat or drink as much as you want from this list:
Bouillon or broth
1 serving of a cream soup may take the place of a serving of milk
Any soup without tomato or strong spices
|Do not eat these foods:
Chile (any kind)
Minestrone and other tomato?based soups
|Milk and Dairy Products|
|Eat 2 to 4 servings a day from this list
1/4 cup to 1/2 cup cottage cheese
1/2 cup custard
1/2 cup ice cream or ice milk, without nuts
1 cup low fat milk
1/2 cup pudding
1 cup yogurt without seeds or nuts
|Chocolate milk products
High fat dairy foods, such as cream and half and half
Spicy or strongly flavoured cheeses, such as jalapeno and black pepper
|Eat as much as you want from this list:
Desserts made with approved foods from the lists above
Mild gravies and sauces
Salt and other mild seasonings
|Chili, taco, or picante sauces
Desserts with nuts or coconut