Table of Contents
Zandopa (also known as HP-200), is an Ayurvedic formulation from Zandu Pharmaceutical Works Ltd. Zandopa contains standardized processed seed powder of Mucuna pruriens in a flavored base.
It has anti-Parkinson activities and is used for the treatment of Parkinson. It is a natural product and its side-effects are mild and mainly gastrointestinal in nature.
About Mucuna pruriens or Kaunch
Mucuna pruriens is known as Kapikachchhu, Vanari, Kiwach, Atmagupta in Ayurevda. Its English name is Cowage or Cowitch. It is annual climbing shrub commonly found in tropics of India.
The seeds of Cowage plant are used in Ayurveda from time immemorial in the treatment of a variety of diseases including neurological disorders, male infertility, Parkinson, sexual disorders of men, impotence, paralysis, muscular stiffness, and bleeding disorders.
The oral intake of seed powder lowers blood sugar, swelling and cholesterol. It has strong aphrodisiac action. It is neuroprotective and antiparkinson.
It is main herb for Parkinson’s disease treatment.
The main chemical constituents of mucuna is l-dopa and number of amino acids. It contains 3.3% of l-dopa. Levadopa or L-Dopa (L-3, 4-dihydroxyphenylalanine), is used to treat Parkinson’s disease. In Parkinson’s disease the level of dopamine drops in the brain. Levodopa is a direct precursor to dopamine, and turned into dopamine in the body and thus increases levels of this chemical and gives relief in stiffness, tremors, spasms, and poor muscle control.
Composition of Zandu Zandopa
Each 7.5 gm contains Standardized processed seed powder of Kauncha (Mucuna pruriens) 6.525 gm in a flavored base.
Benefits of Zandu Zandopa
- This medicine is a natural source of L-Dopa.
- It has better tolerability and fewer side-effects.
- It is suitable for the long term use.
- It is economical, easily available and herbal.
Therapeutic Uses of Zandu Zandopa
Zandopa intake lessens the symptoms of Parkinson. It contains levodopa (L-dopa), a chemical used to treat Parkinson’s disease.
The Dosage of Zandu Zandopa
Initially take lesser dosage and then gradually increase the dose to 7.5 grams at the interval of 3-4 hours.
This medicine should not be taken with milk. Take about 100 ml or half glass of water, suspend prescribed dose of powder, stir and drink immediately.
Patients finding difficulty in swallowing of the bulk may be advised to stir the powder in water for nearly one minute and strain. Clear solution thus obtained may be consumed by the patient.
- All known precautions and contraindications as applicable to synthetic L-dopa formulation should also be followed while prescribing Zandopa.
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors, if taken by patients, must be discontinued at least 2 weeks prior to institution of Zandopa therapy.
- As with levodopa, periodic evaluations of hepatic, haematopoietic, cardiovascular and renal functions are recommended during extended therapy with Zandopa.
- Zandopa should be administered with caution in severe cardiovascular or pulmonary disease, bronchial asthma, renal, hepatic, or endocrine disease and in presence of peptic ulcer or chronic narrow angle glaucoma.
Side effects include nausea, anorexia, cardiac irregularities, orthostatic hypotension, weight gain, hot flushes, numerous dyskinesias and psychiatric symptoms such as agitations, hallucinations, delusions and nightmares.
Side effects as encountered with synthetic L-dopa formulations have not been seen to the same severity with Zandopa.