Table of Contents
Ushirasava (Useerasavam) is ayurvedic medicine which is used to treat urinary problems, blood purification and all type of bleeding disorders (rectal bleeding, Menorrhagia, excessive bleeding after dethe livery, nose bleeding. This medicine is a cooling in nature and also indicated in diseases that occur due to excessive heat inside the body. As this medicine is cold in potency it is also indicated in pregnancy in case of risk of premature dethe livery or miscarriage.
Here is given more about Ushirasava such as indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
Ingredients of Ushirasava
Ushirasava is a fermented liquid preparation, made with the ingredients in the Formulation composition given below. It contains not more than10 percent, and not less than5 percent of alcohol that is self-generated in the preparation over a period of time.
- Ushira Vetiveria zizanioides Rt. 48 g
- Balaka (Hrivera) Coleus vettiveroides Rt. 48 g
- Padma Nelumbo nucifera Fl. 48 g
- Kashmarya (Gambhari) Gmelina arborea St. Bk. 48 g
- Nilotpala (Utpala) Nymphaea stellata Fl. 48 g
- Priyangu Callicarpa macrophylla Fl. 48 g
- Padmaka Prunus cerasoides St. 48 g
- Lodhra Symplocos racemosa St. Bk. 48 g
- Manjishtha Rubia cordifolia Rt. 48 g
- Dhanvayasaka Fagonia cretica Pl. 48 g
- Patha Cissampelos pareira Rt./Pl. 48 g
- Kiratatikta Swertia chirata Pl. 48 g
- Nyagrodha Ficus benghalensis St. Bk. 48 g
- Udumbara Ficus racemosa St. Bk. 48 g
- Shati Hedychium spicatum Rz. 48 g
- Parpata Fumaria parviflora Pl. 48 g
- Kamala Nelumbo nucifera Fl. 48 g
- Patola Trichosanthes dioica Lf./Pl. 48 g
- Kancanaraka (Kancanara) Bauhinia variegata St. Bk. 48 g
- Jambu Syzygium cumini St. Bk. 48 g
- Shalmali Niryasa (Shalmali) Salmalia malabarica Exd. 48 g
- Draksha Vitis vinifera Dr. Fr. 960 g
- Dhataki Woodfordia fruticosa Fl. q.s. for dhupana
- Jala Water 24.576 l
- Sharkara Sugar 768 g
- Kshaudra (Madhu) Honey 4.8 kg
- Marica Piper nigrum Fr. q.s. for dhupana
Method of preparation
- Take the raw materials of pharmacopoeial quality.
- Wash, dry and powder the ingredients numbered 1 to 21 of the formulation composition and pass through the sieve number 44 to obtain a coarse powder.
- Wash and clean the ingredient number 22.
- Add the specified amount of water to the ingredient number 25 of the formulation composition, allow to dissolve and filter through the muslin cloth.
- Transfer the filtrate to a cleancontainer;add Madhu, Draksha, Dhataki and coarsely powdered other drugs. Seal the mouth of the container.
- Shift the container to the fermentation room and constantly check for the signs of completion of Fermentation process. Filter the fermented material through a clean muslin cloth.Pack in airtight containers and allow for maturation.
Clear, dark brown liquid without frotHing and significant sedimentation;with an astringent taste.
Store in a cool place in a tightly closed amber colored bottle, protect from light and moisture.
The principle ingredient of this medicine is Usheer. Usheer is Sanskrit name of the plant Vetiveria zizanioides (L.) Nash. It is commonly known as Cuscus grass, Vetiver, Khas-khas, Khus-khus, Khasa, Ushira, Benachera, Vilamichaver, Vettiver, Vishalver, Viranam etc.
For the medicinal purpose, the roots of Vetiver are used. The root is bitter, sweet in taste (Rasa), sweet after digestion (Vipaka), and is cool in effect (Virya). Usheer is a Sheet Virya herb. Sheet Virya or Cool potency herb, subdues Pitta (Bile) Vata (Wind) and increases Kapha (Mucus). Sheet Virya herb gives nourishment to the body and steadiness. It supports the building of the body fluids.
- Rasa (taste on the tongue): Madhura (Sweet), Tikta
- Guna (Pharmacological Action): Laghu (Light), Snigdha (Unctuous)
- Virya (Action): Shita (Cooling)
- Vipaka (transformed state after digestion): Madhura
- Dosha: Vata and Pitta Shamak
The roots are aromatic, cooling, refrigerant, diaphoretic, depurative, digestive, carminative, antiemetic, constipating, hemostatic, expectorant, diuretic, anthelmintic, emmenagogue and tonic. They are indicated in burning sensation, nausea, obstinate vomiting, dyspepsia, flatulence, colic, hemorrhages, bilious fever, headache, spermatorrhoea, dysmenorrhea ulcers and skin diseases.
Benefits of Usheerasava
- It is diuretic.
- It is a cooling.
- It is blood purifier.
- It is useful in all types of bleeding disorders.
- It is useful in nightfall (swapn dosha), spermatorrhoea (Dhat girna), Sujak, Prameha, and abnormal bleeding from any body organ.
- Its intake with Chandraprabha Vati gives relief in Shukra Vikar / Sperm Disorders.
- It pacifies excess Pitta inside the body.
- Ushirasava is used in bleeding from the respiratory and alimentary tract and hemorrhages.
- Raktapitta (bleeding disorders), Menorrhagia (rakta pradar)
- Pandu (aneamia)
- Kushtha (skin diseases)
- diabetes, Prameha (urinary disorders), Urolithiasis (stones in urinary system)
- Urinary Tract Infection
- bleeding piles (Bavaseer)
- Krimi (worm infestation)
- Shotha (inflammatory diseases)
12 to 24 ml with an equal quantity of water twice a day after the meal. This medicine can be safely used for 2-4 months.
Where to buy
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores.
Usheerasava is manufactured by Dabur (Ushirasava), Shree Baidyanath Ayurved Bhawan (Ushirasava), Patanjali Divya Pharmacy (Ushirasava / Usirasava A.S.S), Sandu, Sanjeevika (Ushirasava), Vaidyaratnam Oushadhasala (Useerasavam), and some other pharmacies.