Kala namak or Black salt is dark purple colored salt with distinct smell and taste. The source of this sulfur based salt is rocks. This unrefined mineral salt is rich in iron, sulfur and some other elements. Some other common names of this salt are Indian Black salt, Sanchal, Nalapoo, Rock salt, sulemani namak.
- Kala namk or black salt is used in Ayurveda for the digestive system related problems. It is indicated in combination of other ingredients for treating low appetite, indigestion, bloating, abdominal gas, pain etc. It induces salivation and secretion of digestive juices.
- Kala namak is also useful throat problems and in thinning of phlegm. You can put a small piece in the mouth and allow it to dissolve slowly in the mouth by itself for treating cough.
- Black salt is also used for preparing tooth powder by mixing it with kali Mirch powder, alum, turmeric and clove oil.
- For treating digestive troubles ginger juice, lime juice are mixed with black salt and taken. In the case of abdominal gas, Black salt (2-3 gms) is taken with lukewarm water.
- In case toddler is suffering from gas and constipation, you can add pinch of Kala namak on baby food. This will give relief in gas and acts as laxative. Black salt is also used in Indian cuisines as condiment, especially in raita, chaat.