Turmeric(haldi) is a well well know medicinal plant of Ayurvedic medicine system for its wound healing properties. It has great antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and anti-allergic properties. There is reference to turmeric with its indications for the skin diseases and wounds is found in Ayurvedic text Charaka Samhita.
This is very good and cheap alternate medicine to cure all type of wounds except very serious injury which need proper medical assistance.
Turmeric is the most common household medicine for first-hand management of injuries and wounds. Its juice, paste, powder, decoction and various formulations are used externally and internally.
- English Name: Turmeric
- Latin Name: Curcuma longa Linn.
- Family: Zingiberaceae
- Plant Part Used: Rhizome
How to prepare Turmeric for treating wounds
- Turmeric Powder: Powder of turmeric is prepared by grinding dried rhizomes in a grinder. The powder should be kept in a clean container and stored in a dry area away from direct sunlight.
- Decoction of Turmeric: Decoction for washing wounds is made by boiling 10 grams of powder in 200 millilitres of water till reduced to one fourth 50 ml.
- Turmeric Paste: Paste for application over the wound is prepared by mixing 5 to 10 grams of turmeric powder in an equal amount of clean water.
Turmeric Dosage and Uses details for healing wounds
- Turmeric may be used simultaneously for washing the wound, application as paste on wound and orally as given below.
- For oral use, give 2 to 5 grams to adults and 1 to 2 grams to children, twice daily with water or honey.
- Wash the wound twice daily with turmeric decoction.
- Apply a thin paste of turmeric over the wound and keep it for 8 to 10 hours and then remove by gently washing the affected part with luke warm water. Alternatively, the wound is dressed with bandage soaked in turmeric decoction.
- Wound can be dressed by adding honey in turmeric paste.
Turmeric is used as a food item in India daily that is turmeric is considered safe and no toxic of its long-term use. There is know side effect if used in adequate dosage.