Unmad Gajkesari Rasa is herbo-mineral Ayurvedic medicine containing Parada, Gandhaka, Manahshila, Dhattura beeja as its ingredients and Vacha kwatha, Brahmi swarasa as Bhavana Dravyas. It is useful in treating Unmad and various other psychiatric diseases.
The literal meaning of word ‘Unmad’ in Sanskrit is Insanity. In Ayurvedic terms, Unmad can be related to Psychosis. It is a broad term which includes variety of mental ailments. This condition is characterized by abnormal psychological and physico-psychological activities.
Unmad Gajkesari Rasa, is indicated in conditions when the person shows insanity with hyper activity as the medicine is sedative and hypnotic.
Sedative-hypnotic are those agents which induces sleep and depress or slow down the body’s functions. They are central nervous system (CNS) depressants and slow down your brain activity, causing relaxation or drowsiness.
AGAIN, this medicine contains toxic ingredient. Therefore, it is highly recommended to take this medicine with due caution. It is prescription drug of Ayurveda and need to be taken under medical supervision. This page is intended to give you correct information about this medicine.
Do not use this information to self-diagnose and self-medicate. Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
- Reference Text: Yogaratnakara, Unmada chikitsa
- Synonyms: Unmad Gajkesari Rasa, Unmada Gaja Kesari Ras
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Classical Ayurvedic mercurial preparation
- Main Indication: Psychiatric Problems
- Suitable for: Adults
Ingredients of Unmad Gajkesari Ras
- Suta (Shuddha Parada) 1 Part
- Gandhaka (Shuddha Gandhaka) 1 Part
- Shila (Shuddha Manahshila) 1 Part
- Svarna Bija (Shuddha Dhattura bija) (Sd.) 3 Parts
- Ugragandha kvatha (Vacha) Q.S. for Bhavana 7 times
- Rasna kvatha (Lf.Rt.) Q.S. for Bhavana 7 times
Dhattura (Datura metel Linn., Family: Solanaceae) is the chief ingredient of UnmadGajaKesari Rasa. The seeds are highly toxic and can be fatal, due to the presence of alkaloids in them. The seeds cause dryness of the mouth, excessive thirst, cramps, unconsciousness, and giddiness due to anticholinergic property of the alkaloids present.
In Ayurveda, the seeds of Datura are used as medicine BUT only after purification.
Shuddha Dhatura Beeja in Ayurveda
In Ayurveda, Dhatura is kept under the Upavisha varga (Plants with poisonous effects) and used only after purification. After purification, the toxic effects are reduced and seeds are called Shuddha Dhatura Beej/Bija.
- In the purification process of Dhattura, seeds are soaked in freshly collected Gomutra and kept aside for 12 hours.
- After washing, the seeds are transferred to the Dola Yantra for Svedana process for 3 hours.
- The seeds are again washed with lukewarm water, allowed to dry and the seeds testa are removed.
Reduction in total alkaloid content and increase in total protein content of seed were observed after Shodhana (purification procedure). Complete removal of scopolamine and partial removal of hyosciamine reflects the importance of Shodhana of Dhattura by means of which the toxic effects are removed.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Unmad Gajkesari Ras
Unmad Gaja Kesari Rasa, is indicated in psychiatric and psycho-somatic disorders. It possesses sedative and hypnotic activities.
- Apasmara (Epilepsy)
- Bhutonmada (Exogenous psychosis)
- Jvara (Fever) with psychiatric symptoms
- Unmada (Mania/Psychosis)
When this medicine is given to a person infected with Rabies, it inhibits the secretion along with salivation and mania by controlling the vitiated Vata and Kapha.
Dosage of Unmad Gajkesari Ras
- The recommended dosage of medicine is 250-500 mg.
- It should be taken twice a day, in the morning and evening.
- It is to be taken with ghee, honey, or betel leaves juice.
- Or take as directed by doctor.
Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects and Warnings
- It contains seeds of Dhattura.
- Dhatura seeds contains a number of toxic alkaloids such as atropine, hyoscamine and scopolamine. Dhatura seeds, when given for longer duration to experimental mice caused congestion, hepatocyte degeneration and liver dysfunction. It also caused significant decrease in RBC, hemoglobin, hematocrit and platelets.
- Effectivity of herbal medicine depends on many factors. A medicine suitable for one person may not essentially give same result in another person.
- Exact dose depends on the age, strength, digestive power of the patient, the nature of the illness, the state of the viscera and humours, and the properties of individual drugs.
- Keep away from the sight and reach of children.
- It must not be taken during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
- Ayurvedic medicines containing detoxified, toxic material/ poisonous substances, heavy metals should be taken only under medical supervision.
- It is not suitable for long term use.
- It can be taken not more than one month.
- This medicine is prescription drug and must be taken under medical supervision only.
Pharmacies Making Unmad Gajkesari Ras
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores. Since it is a classical medicine, it is manufactured by many Ayurvedic pharmacies.
Name of some of the Ayurvedic Pharmacies manufacturing this medicine are given below:
- Baidyanath Unmad Gaj Kesari Ras (5g) @ INR 69.00
- VHCA Unman Gajkesari Ras
- RASASHRAM Unmad Gajkesari Ras
- Sanjeevika Unmadgajkesari Ras
- and many other Ayurvedic pharmacies.