Table of Contents
Hamdard Saduri Cough Syrup is a herbal Unani medicine. It is effective in the treatment of whooping cough, asthma, cold, catarrh, post-influenza cough, chronic and acute bronchitis. It promotes the secretion of sputum and helps relieves bronchial spasms. It normalize respiratory functions.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition, and dosage.
- Type of medicine: Proprietary Unani Medicine
- Manufacturer: Hamdard Laboratories
- Purpose: Cough Medicine
- Taste: Sweet
- Bronchodilator: Causes widening of the bronchi, for example any of those taken by inhalation for the alleviation of asthma.
- Cough suppressant: Suppress cough.
- Expectorant: Promotes the secretion of sputum by the air passages
- Decongestant: Relieve nasal congestion
Unani System of medicine evolved in Greece and was first introduced to India by the Arabs. It is also called as Greco-Arab medicine, Unani Tibb, Arabian medicine, or Islamic medicine. Hippocrates is known as the father of this system of medicine. The theoretical framework of Unani medicine is based on his teachings.
It is a traditional medicinal system and commonly practiced in South Asia. The origins of Unani medicines are found in the doctrines of the ancient Greek physicians Hippocrates and Galen. It was later developed and refined through systematic experiment by the Arabs. Unani medicines are prepared from medicinal plants, minerals, animals products, etc. In Unani medicine, single drugs or their combinations in raw forms are preferred over compound formulations. The naturally occurring drugs used in this system are usually free from any side effects.
Ingredients of Hamdard Saduri Cough Syrup
Each 10 ml contains:
- Hyssopus officinalis 0.2 gram
- Sisymbrium irio zinn 0.2 gram
- Zizyphus vulgaris 0.2 gram
- Ocimum basilicum 0.1 gram
- Piper longum 0.1 gram
- Zingiber officinale 0.1 gram
- Adhatoda vasaka 0.05 gram
- Glycyrrhiza glabra 0.03 gram
- In palatable sugar based syrup
Zoofa (Hyssopus officinalis) has the following Unani properties:
- Aam Qatil Deedan Ama (General anthelmintic)
- Mufatteh (Deobstruent): Remove the obstruction in the form of thick or sticky secretion or any other form. TIt dilute the thick secretion in liquid and pass them.
- Mulattiff (Demulcent): Break the matter into pieces and make humor more liquid by its mild hotness.
1. Khaksi (Sisymbrium irio) is Munaffis / Expectorant (expel out phlegm).
2. Unnab (Zizyphus vulgaris), is native of North China. It is also found in Afghanistan, iraq and Persia. It is used in Unani medicine for infusing vital energies in the body and to treatr cough. It is used as an an ingredient in cough syrups prescribed for coryza, chronic catarrh, bronchitis.
3. Rehan / Baabui Tulasi (Ocimum basilicum) is cold and dry (in 2nd degree). It is aromatic, carminative, anthelmintic, anti-inflammatory, and antiseptic. It is prescribed for asthma, catarrh, allergic conditions, nephritis, and cystitis.
4.Dar Filfil (Piper longum) Pippali in Hindi, is used for the prevention of recurrent attack of bronchial asthma, recurrent infection of throat, and for flatulence and dyspepsia.
5. Zanjabeel (Zingiber officinale) is hot and dry (in 2nd degree). It is Muqavvi Dimagh (Brain tonic), Muqavvi Meda wa Ama (Gastric and intestine tonic), Hazim (Digestive), and thermogenic. It is effective in coryza, fever, bronchial asthma, cough, diarrhea, dyspepsia, diseases of pharynx, inflammations, oedema, fainting and urticaria.
6. Asl-us-soos / Mulethi (Glycyrrhiza glabra) is effective against coughs and bronchitis. It is Munaffis (Expectorant).
Benefits of Hamdard Saduri Cough Syrup
- It is a herbal medicine.
- It gives relief from dry cough, productive cough and chest congestion.
- It is effective in chronic and acute bronchitis.
- It improves the functions of the lungs.
- It is and non-sedative.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Hamdard Saduri Cough Syrup
- Asthma (respiratory condition marked by attacks of spasm in the bronchi of the lungs, causing difficulty in breathing)
- Cold, Catarrh (excessive discharge or build-up of mucus in the nose or throat, associated with inflammation of the mucous membrane)
- Post Influenzal cough
- Chronic and Acute Bronchitis
- Chest Congestion
- Tubercular cough
- Whooping cough (pertussis) contagious bacterial disease characterized by convulsive coughs followed by a whoop
The Dosage of Hamdard Saduri Cough Syrup
- Adults: 2 teaspoonful at breakfast and 2 teaspoonful before going to bed.
- Children: 1 teaspoonful at breakfast and 1 teaspoonful before going to bed.
- Or as directed by the physician
It is sugar based syrup. So do not take in diabetes.
It contains Mulethi / Licorice. Do not use in the high blood pressure .