Insomnia or sleeplessness is sleep disorder in which person is unable to sleep at night. This affects person’s day to day life. Lack of sleep causes fatigue, irritability, poor quality of life and other ailments in the body. There are numerous reasons for this sleep disorder. The common reasons for sleeplessness (anidra in hindi) include psychological, social, stress, anxiety, phobia, medical condition, illness, etc.
Ayurveda considers this problem result of imbalance of vata. Aggravated vata (wind) causes various health problems including this condition. For the treatment of insomnia it is necessary to cure underlying reason.
Natural treatment of insomnia
- Ashwagandha churna (1/2 tsp) with honey at night is a traditional remedy for good sleep.
- Drink Brahmi tea or take Brahmi vati at night.
- Massage scalp with herbal oil.
- Drink Ayurvedic preparation Draksasava with water.
- Amla juice is also good for constipation and relaxing mind. Drink this juice 25-50 ml before going to bed.
- Have a nutritious diet with plenty of pulses, fruits and vegetables. Avoid refined flour, cheese, junk foods that cause constipation. Vitamin B and C are necessary for nervous system and both are water soluble. Therefore maintain daily requirement of the body by having appropriate diet.
- Drink a glass of lukewarm milk before going to bed.
- Regularly do panayam (deep breathing) twice a day. This supplies fresh oxygen to the mind and body that helps in relaxation. This calms mind and cures tension and stress.
- Regularly do exercise such as walking, jogging, etc.
- Avoid sleeping during day time.
- Take dinner two hours before going to bed.
- Drink water throughout the day and avoid drinking water after 7 pm.