Table of Contents
Swarna means “gold” and prashan mean “to eat or to lick” so Swarna Praashana is licking / ingesting of gold. Swarna Prashana is done in prescribed dose and quantity in the prescribed manner.
The reference of Swarna administration in babies is found in Kashyap Samhita. Acharya Kashyap, the father of Ayurvedic pediatrics, has described method of preparation, duration and effect of Swarna Prashana. He has explained Swarna prashana under the context of Lehana (Electuaries) which depicts the administration of various herbal drugs, ghee preparations and gold alone as supplementary feeds in infants.
As mentioned in text, keeping face toward rising sun, gold should be rubbed on a stone with a little quantity of water. Then it should be mixed with Madhu and Ghrita and should be given to the child for licking. This is Swarna Prashana. It will give the child, Medha (memory) and Bala (strength), Aayushya (life span). It will improve Agni (digestive power) and Varnya (fair complexion). Swarna Prashana is Mangalakari (auspicious) and Punya (virtuous). Ideally it has to be done immediately after birth and for one month. Now for Swarna Prashna, Swarna Bhasma is used.
Swarna Amrit Prashana or Swarna Bindu Prashana is a modified preparation of Swarna Prashana, containing Swarna Bhasma along with Medhya (nootropic) drugs in the media of ghee. In Swarna Amrit Prashana, Shuddha Swarna Bhasma is processed in medicated Ghee and Honey.
In Karnataka, Maharashtra, Goa and few other states children are given Swarna Prashana for better growth, immunity, and intellectual power. Swarna Prashana, is believed to improve immunity, physical and mental power, digestive power and complexion.
- Synonyms: Swarnaprashana, Swarna Prashana, Swarnaprashan, Suvarnaprashan, Swarna Bindu Prashana, Swarna Bindu Drops
- Given to: Boys and Girls of age 0 to 16 years. It can be given to seniors also.
- Purpose: Immunization, better physical and mental growth
- Safety: It is safe, non-toxic and have immunomodulatory effect on prolonged regular use.
A Toxicity Study of Suvarna Bindu Prashana done on Albino Rats concluded there were No signs of toxicity in albino rats.
Benefits of Swarna Prashana
- It is unique method of immunization which helps the children to boost up the intellectual power and produces nonspecific immunity in the body to fight against general disorders.
- It is helpful to the special children with Autism, Learning Difficulties, Attention Deficit, Hyper Activity, Delayed Milestone, etc.
- It accelerates the growth of brain and boost up its utilization capacity.
- It provides essential minerals.
- It has immunomodulatory effects.
- It increases weight.
- It prevents common diseases.
- It enhances growth and development in young children.
- It reduces frequent recurring infections and illnesses in babies.
- It given good complexion.
- It improves hemoglobin.
- It improves intellect, learning ability and grasping power.
- It improves functioning of senses.
- It supports better blood circulation.
- It is good for heart, brain and nervous system.
- It controls allergic symptoms.
- It flushes toxins from the body.
- It is nerving stimulant.
- It gives longevity.
- It is rejuvenative and immunity booster.
Ingredients of Swarna Prashana Drops / Swarna Bindu drops
Processed together in the form of drops:
- Swarna Bhasma + Go Ghrita/ Cow ghee + Nootropic Medya Herbs (Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri), Vacha (Acorus calamus), Shankhpushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis), Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia), Yashtimadhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) )
- Swarna Bhasma: Immunomodulator, antioxidant, hematinic, nervine Tonic, cooling, anabolic and Rasayana.
- Honey: Prevents allergies, purifies blood.
- Ghee: Go Ghrita helps in drug delivery.
- Herbs: Nootropic.
The Dosage of Swarna Bindu Drops
- Swarna Bhasma preparation is administered in the form of drops, in very low doses (approx. 4 drops) or depending on the age, weight (1mg/kg body weight of Swarna Bhasma), health and other factors. Drops admiration is followed by a few drops of honey.
- Swarna Prashana is done as a public health initiative at different centers in many states. It is done during the auspicious time of Pushya Nakshatra (every 27 days) on every month up to 12 months.
- Swarna Prashana is given to children of age 0 to sixteen years. Though it can be given up to any age but young children in growing years are benefitted most.
- Swarna Bhasma administration is safe and there are no known side effects.