Rasna Saptak Kwath is a polyherbal Ayurvedic medicine. It is referenced from Bhaishajyaratnavali, Amavatadhikara. It contains Rasna and other seven ingredients and hence named Rasna Saptak Kwath. It is availabale as dry coarse herb mixture, ready-made preparation and tablet.
Herbal decoction is known as Kashayam/ Kwath/Quath or Kadha in Ayurveda. It is prapared by boiling the herbs mix in water till one fourth of the intial volume remains.
Rasna Saptak Kswath is useful in treatment of arthritis, gout, rheumatism, back ache, lumbago, sciatica, spondylosis, stiff joints and other similar inflammatory disorders.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
Ingredients of Rasna Saptak Kwath
- Rasna Aplinia galanga (Rt.) 1 part
- Trikantaka (Gokshura) Tribulus terrestris (Fr.) 1 part
- Eranda Ricinus communis (Rt.) 1 part
- Amrita (Guduchi) Tinospora cordifolia (St.) 1 part
- Devadaru Cedrus deodara (Ht.Wd.) 1 part
- Punarnava Boerhavia diffusa (Rakta Punarnava) (Rt.) 1 part
- Aragvadha Cassia fistula (Fr.P.) 1 part
- Shunthi churna 1 part
Rasna: Rasna consists of dried leaf and roots of Pluchea lanceolata. Its official substitute is Alpinia galanga.
The stem and leaves contain moretenol, moretenol acetate, neolupenol, octacosanoic, hexacosanoic and tetracosanoic acid, tetracosanol, hexacosanol, triacontanol, stigmasterol and beta-sitosterol-D-glucoside.
Rasna is Tikta (Rasa), Guru (Guna), Ushna (Virya), and Katu vipak. It pacifies Kapha and Vata.
Rasna root is fragrant, bitter and useful in rheumatism and other inflammatory disorders. Its stem, leaves are muscle relaxant. Along with other herbal ingredients the roots are useful in all nervous diseases and rheumatism.
A Scientific study was done on anti-inflammatory and anti-arthritic activities of in vivo and in vitro plant parts of Pluchea lanceolata. This study confirms the traditional medicinal uses of the plant due to presence of presence of several physiologically active phytochemicals such as phenols, flavonoids, triterpenoids, steroids and glycosides and supported the isolation and the use of active constituents from in vivo and in vitro plant parts of Pluchea lanceolata in treating inflammations and rheumatism.
Giloy gives relief in pain and inflammation. It is a Rasayan drug of Ayurveda. It has positive influence on whole health.
Devdaru has analgesics and anti-inflammatory action.
Gokhru stimulates production of urine.
Punarnava is diuretic and helps to reduce swelling by losing extra fluid from body.
Castor and Amaltas supports proper bowel evacuation and removal of waste from body due to their purgative action. They help to cure bloating and constipation.
Benefits of Rasna Saptak Kwath
- It balances Vata and Kapha dosha.
- It has analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties.
- It improves digestion.
- It gives relief in pain and swelling in body.
- It is herbal and has no known side-effects.
- It is a time-tested medicine.
- It supports better appetite, digestion and elimination.
Uses of Rasna Saptak Kwath
This medicine is useful in treating joint disorders such as sandhigat vyadhi like Sandhivata, Amavata, Kativata etc. The medicinal herbs used in this formulation are Tridoshnasak. This medicine is anti-inflammatory and analgesic.
- Janghashula (Pain in calves)
- Urushula (Pain in thighs)
- Parshva Shula (Intercostal neuralgia and pleurodynia)
- Trika Shula (Pain in sacral region)
- Prishtha Shula (Backache)
- Spinal problems
Preparation and Dosage of Rasna Saptak Kwath
- For preparing decoction from herb mix, take about 10 gm coarse powder and soak in one cup water at night. Next morning boil this till only 1/4th of liquid remains filter this using a cloth. Drink this warm.
- Take this on empty stomach or before meal. Take regularly for two months.
- While on treatment, don’t take food items that increase Vata inside body (gas causing food items). Examples of such food are deep fried itesm, peas, Urad dal, cauliflower, spicy foods, fermented items, pickles etc.
- Eat easily digestible food. Include Hing, Jeera in diet. Parwal, Karela, Lauki should be eaten.
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores.
This medicine is manufactured by Kottakkal (Rasnasaptakam Kashayam, liquid), Nirogam (Rasnasaptakam Kashayam Tablets;Dosage:2 tablet twice a day before food), Nisarg (Rasna Saptak Kwath), Nagarjun (Rasnasaptakam Kashayam), Jiva (Rasna Saptak Kwath, Coarse powder) and many other Ayurvedic pharmacies.