Table of Contents
Punarnavadi Guggul is an Ayurvedic medicine in which the main ingredients are rakta/red punarnava and guggul. It also contains triphala, trikatu, svarnmakshik bhasma, sendha namak and many other medicinal herbs. The detail list and quantity of ingredients used in preparation of this medicine is given below.
Guggul is gum resin of tree Commiphora mukul. The medicines in which Guggul is the main effective ingredient, are known as Guggulu. In this medicine Punarnava and guggulu are the main effective ingredients. This is an excellent medicine for arthritis, gout, rheumatism and swelling in body.
Punarnavadi guggul is referenced from Ayurvedic text Bhaishajya Ratnavali and is a powerful combination of herbs that reduces swelling. It also eliminates excessive water from body through urination, due to its diuretic properties. It pacifies aggravated Vata and Kapha.
Here is given more about Punarnavadi Guggul such as indication/therapeutic uses, Key Ingredients and dosage.
Punarnavadi Guggul/ Punarnava Guggulu Vati is a preparation made with the ingredients in formulation composition given below with Guggulu as the basic ingredient.
- Punarnavamula (Raktapunarnava) Boerhaavia diffusa Rt. 4.800 kg
- Rubukamula (Eranda) Ricinus communis Rt. 4.800 kg
- Shunthi Zingiber officinale Rz. 768 g
- Jala for decoction Water 32 liter reduced to 4 liter
- Kaushika (Guggulu-Shuddha) Commiphora wightii O.R. 864 g
- Eranda Taila Ricinus communis Sd. Oil 192 ml
- Trivrit Ipomoea turpethum Rt. 240 g
- Nikumbha (Danti) Baliospermum montanum Rt. 48 g
- Guduci Tinospora cordifolia St. 96 g
- Haritaki Terminalia chebula P. 96 g
- Bibhitaka Terminalia belerica P. 96 g
- Amalki Emblica officinalis P. 96 g
- Shunthi Zingiber officinale Rz. 96 g
- Marica Piper nigrum Fr. 96 g
- Pippali Piper longum Fr. 96 g
- Sindhuttha (Saindhava) 96 g
- Citraka Plumbago zeylanica Rt. 96 g
- Bhallata (Bhallataka-Shuddha) Semicarpus anacardium Fr. 96 g
- Vidanga Embelia ribes Fr. 96 g
- Makshika Dhatu Curna (Bhasma) 12 g
- Punarnava (Rakta-Punarnava) Boerhaavia diffusa Rt. 48 g
Lf.=Leaf;P.=Pericarp;Rt.=Root;Fr.=Fruit;Rz.=Rhizome;Sd.= Seeds;St.=Stem;St. Bk.= Stem Bark;Fl. Bd.=Flower Bud.
Method of preparation:
Take all the ingredients of the pharmacopoeial quality.
Wash, dry and powder the ingredients number 7 to 19 of the formulation composition separately and pass through sieve number 85, weigh them separately in the required quantities and mix.
Crush weighed quantity of Guggulu-Shuddha. Wash, dry and powder the ingredients number 1 to 3 of the formulation composition separately and pass through sieve number 40. Soak the coarse powder mixture in 8 times of potable water for 12 h. Gently heat the mixture to boil and continue the boiling to reduce the volume of the mixture to half of its original volume. Stop the boiling and filter while still warm through a muslin cloth.
Boil the filtrate (Kvatha) in an iron vessel. Add Shuddha-Guggulu to Kvatha and concentrate to Gudapaka (semi-solid) condition. Add fine powders of mixed ingredients and Makshika Bhasma with continuous stirring. Pound the mixture to a semi-solid uniformly mixed mass of suitable plasticity. Use Ghrita for smooth pounding.
Expel the pounded mass through Vati machine fitted with a suitable die and cut the Vatis to a desired weight.
Roll the Vatis on flat surface to round them by circular motion of palm covered with a glove and smeared with Ghrita घी or use suitable mechanical device. Dry the rounded Vatis in a tray-dryer at a temperature not exceeding 600 for 10 to 12 h.
Pack it in tightly closed containers to protect from light and moisture.
Description:Blackish brown spherical pills with pleasant odour, salty and bitter in taste.
Storage: Store in a cool place in tightly closed container, protect from light and moisture.
Punarnavadi Guggulu is hot in potency. It is light and dry in nature and reduces Vata and Kapha in body. It has astringent, anti-inflammatory, cardiotonic, blood-pressure reducing and anti-urolithiasis (anti-stone formation) properties.
- Has diuretic and demulcent properties.
- Removes the deep seated kapha from the tissues.
- Detoxifying and rejuvenating in action.
- Supports the healthy elimination of liquids.
- Maintains water balance in body.
- Reduces pain and swelling in body.
- Gives relief in stiffness and rigidity.
- Effective in vata-vyadhis/diseases that occur due to Vata dosh.
- Beneficial in Gout, Arthritis, Rheumatism and water retention.
Punarnava guggul is recommended for arthritis associated with excessive swellings of joints. It is a broad-spectrum drug and is also useful in fluid retention and stones (urinary, gall bladder).
It balances all three dosha. It also reduces excess vata and kapha in body.
Punarnava Guggul is a very good medicine to treat vata-rakta or gout. It is also given to treat Vriddhiroga or Inguino scrotal inflammation. The other diseases in which this medicine is indicated are Gridhrasi or Sciatica, Vastishula or pain in bladder region, pain in calves, pain in thigh, pain in back and rheumatism.
- Rheumatism, Amavata
- Gridhrasi Sciatica, Gout
- Hydrocele disease
- Pain in urinary bladder
- Edema, fluid retention
Punarnavadi Guggul is good medicine to treat gout, sciatica, arthritis, edema, pain in the lower abdomen and bladder areas. The recommended dosage of Punarnavadi Guggul is 2 tablets, twice a day, in morning and evening. The Anupan (fluid vehicle or drink with medicine) for Punarnavadi Guggul is hot water or Punarnavadi Kwath or take as directed by physician.
Where to buy
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores.
This medicine is manufactured by Shree Baidyanath Ayurved Bhawan, Banyan Botanicals, Shree Dhootapapeshwar Limited and some other pharmacies.