Shankhpushpi or Convolvulus pluricaulis is a perennial medicinal herb. This plant is found throughout India, ascending to 2000 m in the Himalayas. Shankhpushpi is a brain tonic that effectively treats nervine disorders, mental aberration, anxiety neurosis, internal haemorrhages, spermatorrhoea and numerous other diseases. It has an astringent, antidysenteric, antispasmodic, antiphlogistic, febrifuge, and alterative properties.
- Botanical name: Convolvulus pluricaulis Choisy, Synonym: C. microphyllus Sieb.;C. prostratus Forsk.
- Family: Convolvulaceae
- Ayurvedic: Shankhapushpi, Shankhaahvaa, Kshirapushpi, Maangalya Kusuma (whiteflowered). Blue flowered var., Vishnukraanti, Vishnukraantaa
- Unani: Sankhaahuli (blue-flowered)
- Siddha/Tamil: Sivakraandi (whiteflowered), Vishnukraandi (blueflowered).
Here are given few remedies that can be done at home for treating various diseases using Shankhpushpi or Convolvulus pluricaulis.
- For improving memory, brain power and Shankhpushpi for treating mental fatigue
Take Shankhpushpi powder (3 to 6 grams) with milk every morning.
- Enhancing intellect in kids
Take Shankhpushpi powder (2 to 4 grams) with Sweet Flag/bach powder (1 gm).
- Treating Epilepsy, excessive menstruation
Take Shankhpushpi juice 2 ml with honey.
- Treating hysteria, delirium and epilepsy
Mix powders of Shankhpushpi, Sweet flag/bach and Brahmi in equal quantities. Take 3 gm of this powder twice a day.
Take Shankhpushpi powder (1 grams), Black Henbane/Hyoscyamus niger 250 milligrams with hot water.
- Bed wetting
Prepare powder by mixing Shankhpushpi powder (2 grams) and black sesame/kale til (1 gram). Take this powder with milk.
- High blood pressure
Take fresh juice of Shankhpushpi 10-20 ml every morning and evening for some days.
Take Shankhpushpi powder (5 grams) or Shankhpushpi juice (10-15 ml).
Take Shankhpushpi juice 2 tsp, black pepper powder and mix in honey. Take frequently.
- Skin problems, and reducing wrinkles
Take Shankhpushpi powder (2 to 4 grams) with honey/misri..