Kutaj (Holarrhena antidysenterica Wall) is a glabrous tree or large shrub found throughout the deciduous forest areas of India at low elevations and up to 1100 meters in the tropical Himalayan tract. Kutaja seeds are known as Indrajau or Indrayava. Kutaja has bitter, pungent taste and cold in potency.
The bark of medicinal herb Kutaj has an astringent, anthelmintic, amoebicidal and diuretic activities and is useful in treating diarrhea, dysentery and amebiasis.
The safe dosage of Holarrhena antidysenterica is as follows
- Stem bark—20-30 grams for decoction
- Stem bark powder- 3-6 gms
- Seed powder-3-6 gms, 20-30 gm for Decoction
- Latin name: Holarrhena antidysenterica, Synonym H. pubescens Wall
- Family: Apocynaceae
- Sanskrit: Kutaja, Girimallikaa, Kaalinga, Kalingaka, Indravriksha, Shakra, Vatsa, Vatsaka, Shakraahvya. Indrayava, Indrabija, Vatsabija (seed)
- Hindi: Indraju, Kurchi, Kuraiya
- English: Ester Tree, Conessi Seeds, Ivory tree,Tellicherry Bark
- Bengali: Kurchi
- Punjabi: Indrajau, Kaurasakh, Kura
- Gujarati: Kuda, Kudo
- Malayalam: Kutakappala
- Marathi: Kudayache Beej
- Oriya: Kurei, Keruan
- Kannada: Kodasige Beeja
- Tamil: Kudasapalai
- Telegu: Kodisapala Vittulu, Palakodisa-Vittulu
- Urdu: Tukhm-e-Kurchi, Indarjao Talkh
- Unani: Inderjo talkh, Teewaaj-e-Khataai
- Siddha: Kudasappaalai-pattai,-vidai (bark, seed)
Here are few remedies that can be done at home using Easter tree or Kutaja (Holarrhena antidysenterica) to cure various ailments.
1. Sangrahani (dysentery or diarrhea of chronic ature), Dysentery : Kutaj is useful in treating atisaar, dast, Sangrahani and other such digestive system ailments. For treating these ailments you can take Ayurvedic medicine Kutaj Ghan Vati which is prepared from bark of Kutaj. Kutajarishta is also prepared from bark of Kutaj and can be taken in a dose of 15-30 ml with an equal amount of water after the meal. Kutajarishta is useful in treating Grahani (malabsorption syndrome), Pravahika (dysentery), Raktatisara (diarrhea with blood) and Jwara (fever). If Kutaj bark is available then prepare its powder and take (1 tbsp) twice a day with water.
2. Arthritis, inflammation, pain : Boil bark in water, add salt and apply at inflamed joints. Take powder of Kutaj bark (10 gm), harad (10 gm), sonth (10 gm). Take this powder (1 tbsp) twice a day. This gives relief in pain due to arthritis, gout and joint inflammation. It also improves digestive function. Kutaj causes constipation. So this combination helps in controlling that effect of bark.
3. Sexual debility, Dhatu rog : Collect its seed (Indrajau) clean them. Dry in shade. Grind to make powder. Mix this powder with Ashwagandha powder in 1:2 ratio. Add misri and take 1 tbsp twice a day for a few days.
4. Diabetes : Soak Kutaj bark in water at night. Next morning drink this water.
5. Prameha, Pradar, Skin problems, Kidney stone : Soak bark (2 tbsp) in glass of water at night. Next morning drink this water.
6: Piles, Fistula : Take its bark powder (2 gms). This is helpful in stopping bleeding in Shonitarsha (Bleeding piles).
7. Skin problems, Boils, Eczema : Boil its bark in water and wash affected areas.