Table of Contents
Laghu Sutshekhar Ras is a herbo-mineral Ayurvedic formulation. This medicine is referenced from Rasa Tarangini Parishistha. Laghu Sutshekhar Ras is prepared from Shuddha Gairika (Haematite or red iron oxide), Sonth and fresh juice of Pan or betel leaf. This medicine is prescribed for the diseases that occur due to vitiation of pitta Dosha.
Here is given more about Laghu Sutshekhar Ras such as indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
Ingredients of Laghu Sutshekhar Ras
- Shuddha Gairika Red Ochre Fe2O3 240 g
- Shunti Dry ginger powder 120 g
- Nagavalli/Paan (Betel leaf) fresh juice q.s.
About Key Ingredients
Swarn Gairik is Red Ochre, an oxide of Iron (Fe2O3). It is used medicinally only after proper Shodhana or purification. For Shodhan, Geru powder is treated with sufficient amount of Go-Dugdha three times. Shuddha Gairika is an astringent and hematinic. It increases hemoglobin level.
Ayurvedic Properties and Action of Shuddha Gairik
It is astringent, sweet in taste (Rasa), sweet after digestion (Vipaka), and is cool in effect (Virya).
- Rasa (taste on tongue): Kashaya (Astringent), Madhura (Sweet)
- Guna (Pharmacological Action): Snigdha (Unctuous), Visada (Non-slimy)
- Virya (Action): Shita (Cooling)
- Vipaka (transformed state after digestion): Madhura (Sweet)
- Pitta Nashak (Pacifies Pitta)
- Vrana Ropana (Wound Healing)
- Netrya (Good for eyes)
- Kaphajit (Destroys cough)
Shuddha Gairika, is used in treatment of Netra roga (diseases of eyes), Raktapitta (bleeding disorder), hikka (hiccup), vamana (vomiting), vata vikara (disorders due to poison), Rakta pradara (Menorrhagia or Metrorrhagia or both), kandū (itching), Jvara (fever), daha (burning sensation) and Udara roga (diseases of abdomen).
Nagavalli/Paan (Piper betle) is Antibacterial, Antiseptic, Carminative, Digestive, Expectorant, Laxative, Sedative, Stimulant and Tonic.
Ayurvedic Properties and Action of Nagavalli
- Rasa (taste on tongue): Kashaya (Astringent), Katu (Pungent), Tikta (Bitter)
- Guna (Pharmacological Action): Laghu (Light), Tikshna (Sharp), Visada (Non-slimy), Sara (mobile, unstable)
- Virya (Action): Ushna (Heating)
- Vipaka (transformed state after digestion): Katu (Pungent)
- Sleshmahar (phlegm pacifier)
- Ruchya (stimulates taste)
- Vata Hara (Pacifies Vata)
Benefits of Laghu Sutshekhar Ras
- It reduces excess pitta / heat inside body.
- It gives relief in disorders due to excessive pitta.
- It improves hemoglobin level.
- It helps in bleeding disorders.
- It gives strength.
Uses of Laghu Sutshekhar Ras
This medicine is indicated in migraine, indigestion, gastritis, amla-pitta diseases and various disorders that occur due to vitiation of pitta dosha. Amla-pitta is condition of hyperacidity or excessive formation of acids in stomach due to which there is burning sensation in heart and throat. Few symptoms of amla-pitta are acidic/bitter burp, nausea, loss of appetite, indigestion, heaviness in body and burning sensation in upper body region.
This medicine is also prescribed for headaches that occur due to excess pitta, migraine, insanity due to pitta dosh, sinusitis, stomatitis/mukh-pak and bleeding from the orifices of the upper body parts.
- Blisters in mouth
- Burning sensation in chest
- Burning sensation in abdomen
- Bleeding disorders, bleeding from the orifices of the upper body parts
- Digestive disorders (appetite loss, gastritis, indigestion, hyperacidity, nausea, vomiting)
- Epistaxis / Nose bleeding
- Headaches, migraine
- Insanity due to pitta dosh
Dosage of Laghu Sutshekhar Ras
- The recommended dosage of Laghu Sutshekhar Ras is 1-2 tablets, twice a day with Go-Dugdha and honey before meals. Or take as directed by physician.
- This medicine should not be used during pregnancy.
- You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores.
This medicine is manufactured by Amrita (Laghu Sutshekhar Ras RTS), Baidyanath (Laghu Sootshekhar Ras) and many other Ayurvedic pharmacies.