Table of Contents
Kas madhu Syrup is poly-herbal proprietary medicine from Tulison Pharma. It has bronchodilator, expectorant (promotes secretion or expulsion of phlegm, mucus the respiratory tract) and antitussive (relieves or suppress coughing) properties and gives relief in all types of cough, pulmonary congestion and flu symptoms. This herbal medicine is suitable for all age group.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition, and dosage.
- Product Name: Kas Madhu or Kasmadhu Cough Syrup
- Manufacturer: Tulison Pharm
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Proprietary herbal Medicine
- Main Indication: Respiratory ailments
- Dosha Effect: Reduces Kapha Dosha
- KASMADHU COUGH SYRUP 100 ml @ Rs. 78.00
- KASMADHU COUGH SYRUP 200 ml @ Rs. 140.00
Kas Madhu Composition
Ingredients present in this formulation are given below:
In Each 5ml:
- Yashti Madhu 50 mg
- Kaiphal 50 mg
- Vasaka 50 mg
- Karkatashingi 50 mg
- Unnab 50 mg
- Gul Banafsha 50 mg
- Nagar Motha 50 mg
- Pipal 25 mg
- Jupha 50 mg
- Saunf 50 mg
- Paan ke Patte 50 mg
- Karpoor 2।25 mg
- Sat Podina 2।25 mg
- Sodium Bezoate (as a preservative)
- Sugar Colour QS
Know the Ingredients of Kas madhu
Viola odorata contains different types of chemical constituents including flavonoid, glycosides, alkaloids, steroids, terpenes, saponins and tannins. Banfsha is used in Unani medicine for treating respiratory ailments, bronchitis, whooping cough, fever, skin conditions, cystitis, throat infection and rheumatism due to its anti-inflammatory, diaphoretic, diuretic, emollient, expectorant, antipyretic and laxative properties. As it contains salicylic acid which is used to make aspirin hence effective for the treatment of headaches, migraine and insomnia.
Mulethi or Licorice Root (Glycyrrhiza glabra) is extensively used in Ayurveda. It relieves coughs, sore throats, respiratory problems, abdominal pain, and hyperacidity. It is used to prepare cough remedies, skin preparations, and in combination with other plants for the treatment of ulcer.
Licorice has demulcent and expectorant properties. Traditionally Mulethi is used to get relief from digestive symptoms such as burning sensation and dyspepsia, etc. It is also given in case of catarrhs of the respiratory tract, cold, cough, sore throat.
Licorice is not suitable for everyone. It may cause some serious side-effects in certain conditions. Side effects have been noted in cases of prolonged use of excessive intake including hyperkalaemia, pseudo-aldosteronism and hypertension. It is contraindicated in pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Licorice should not be used in the high blood pressure, fluid retention, diabetes, and certain other conditions. Licorice contains sodium which causes elevation in blood pressure. it must not be used by a person suffering from hypertension and kidney diseases. Any licorice product for longer than 4 to 6 weeks is contraindicated.
Vasa, Adhatoda, Malabar Nut Tree, Vasa, Vasaka (Adhatoda zeylanica, Justicia adhatoda or Adhatoda vasica) is used in Ayurveda for the treatment of cough. It has antispasmodic, antiseptic, antitussive, hepatoprotective, immunomodulating and cough suppressant properties. The Leaf contain several different alkaloids, including vasicine, vasicinone, vasicinol, adhatodine, adhatonine, adhavasinone, anisotine, peganine, 7-methoxyvaicinone, desmethoxyaniflorine, 3- hydroxyanisotine, vasnetine, betaine, steroids and alkanes.
Vasa is an effective remedy for asthma, bronchitis, colds-cough, congestion and shortness of breath. Antitussive effects of Vasa are comparable to codeine.
In some parts of country, Vasa is used to cause abortion and to reduce fertility. Some research suggests that adhatoda may stimulate UTERINE CONTRACTIONS, so it is not recommended in pregnancy. One animal study investigating oral administration of leaf extracts showed 100% abortive rates at doses equivalent to 175 mg/kg of starting dry material. Another study found the extract had ANTI-IMPLANTATION ACTIVITY in 60–70% of test animals.
Kas madhu Ayurvedic Action / Karma
- Kaphahara: Pacifies Kapha Dosha.
- Kasahara: Removes cough.
- Pratishyayhar: Gives relief in coryza.
- Sheetjvaraghna: Gives relief in the fever due to cough.
- Shothagna: Reduces swelling and inflammation.
- Shothahar: Removes inflammation.
Biomedical Action of Kas madhu
- Alterative: Alter favorably the course of an ailment.
- Anticatarrhal: Remove excess mucous from the body.
- Anti-inflammatory: Reducing inflammation by acting on body mechanisms.
- Decongestant: Used to relieve nasal congestion.
- Diaphoretic: Promote sweating.
- Expectorant: Promotes the secretion of sputum by the air passages, used to treat coughs.
Kas Madhu Health Benefits
- It controls cough.
- It gives relief in congestion of lungs, cold, cough, difficult breathing, fever, bronchitis and other cough related respiratory ailment.
- It gives relief in respiratory distress.
- It gives relief in throat irritation.
- It has a calming and dilating the lung’s airways, thus relieving chest congestion.
- It has expectorant and heating action due to which it reduces cough and aids the mobilization of mucus.
- It helps in sore throat and swollen glands.
- It improves appetite.
- It loosens the phlegm.
- It reduces Kapha Dosha.
Kas Madhu Therapeutic Uses
Kas Madhu can be used as herbal Ayurvedic remedy for cold, cough, excessive mucus, and other symptoms related to respiratory ailments.
- Common cold, cough
- Lung infections
- Respiratory tract infection
- Sore throat, etc.
Kas Madhu Dosage
The recommended dosage of medicine is given below:
- Adults: 1 to 2 teaspoonsful twice or thrice a day depending on condition.
- Children above 12 years: 1/4 to ½ teaspoonful twice or thrice a day.
- It is to be taken with honey and water.
- Or take as directed by a doctor.
Effectivity of herbal medicine depends on many factors. A medicine suitable for one person may not essentially give the same result in another person.
The exact dose depends on the age, strength, digestive power of the patient, the nature of the illness, the state of the viscera and humours, and the properties of individual drugs.
- Keep away from the sight and reach of children.
- Drink plenty of lukewarm water.
- Do not eat cold food items and cold water.
- Cover your nose while going outside in winter season.
- Do not take during pregnancy and breastfeeding without consulting doctor.
- This medicine is not suitable for a diabetic person / patients with high blood sugar level.
- This medicine should be taken cautiously in the high blood pressure and heart diseases.
- It is not suitable for the long term use.
- Do check the list of ingredients and their contraindications to avoid any side effects.
- If the symptoms of lung infection are serious, fever is also present and the symptoms are not reduced by Herbal medicine after use of 2-3 days, consult a doctor. Lung infections can fast change into pneumonia. So, be cautious.
Store in a cool and dry place in a tightly closed container, protected from light and moisture.