Table of Contents
Pilex (tablet, ointment) is proprietary medicine from Himalaya Drug Company. This herbal medicine is prepared from various medicinal herbs and is useful in treating piles. Piles or haemorrhoids are an abnormal swelling of the blood vessels in the anal canal. The symptom of piles include itchiness, pain, swelling, protrusion, bleeding, constipation, difficulty evacuating, bleeding and lump of pile mass.
Pilex tablets have anti-inflammatory action (reduces swelling of hemorrhoidal tissue) and wound healing (expedites healing) properties’. It has styptic action due to which it controls bleeding. It also has antimicrobial, antifungal, insecticidal, antipyretic, laxative, antipruritic, blood purifying and antioxidant activity.
Pilex ointment has astringent, styptic, anti-inflammatory, analgesic, membrane stabilizing activities and strong antihistamine activity that help to control associated itching, accelerate wound healing.
This medicine can be used in piles during pregnancy.
Ingredients of Pilex (tablet, ointment) Pilex
In Each Tablet:
- Guggulu (Commiphora wightii Syn. Balsamodendron mukul) 0.26mg
- Shilajeet (Purified) 32mg
- Nimba seeds (Melia azadirachta Syn. Azadirachta indica) 14mg
- Daruharidra (Berberis aristata) 64mg
- Amalaki (Emblica officinalis) 32mg
- Haritaki (Terminalia chebula) 32mg
- Vibhitaki (Terminalia bellirica Syn. T.belerica) 32mg
- Aragvadha (Cassia fistula) 32mg
- Kanchanara (Bauhinia variegate) 32mg
- Nagkesara (Mesua ferrea) 6mg
- The combination of Terminalia chebula, Emblica officinalis, and Terminalia bellirica is known as Triphala. Triphala is a very well-known tonic and laxative. It cures constipation and detoxifies the colon.
- Guggulu, a gum or resin extracted from the plant Commiphora wightii, has astringent, anti-septic, carminative and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Shilajeet, has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Leaves of Neem has antimicrobial, antifungal, anthelmintic, insecticidal, and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Daruhaldi is laxative, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic.
- Amaltas has laxative properties.
- Kachnaar is antibacterial, blood purifying and laxative.
- Nagkeshar has antimicrobial, astringent and styptic properties.
- Lajjalu (Mimosa pudica) 5%
- Bhringaraja (Eclipta prostrata Syn. E.alba) 3%
- Nirgundi (Vitex negundo) 3%
- Zergul (Calendula officinalis) 2%
- Karpoora (Cinnamomum camphora) 1.225%T
- Tankana 1%
- Yashad bhasma1%
- Base q.s. ad.100%
- Lajjalu or chui-mui has astringent and styptic properties.
- Bhangra has pain relieving and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Nirgundi is antimicrobial, pain relieving, and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Calendula possess wound healing, analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Karpoora has antimicrobial, pain relieving and wound healing properties.
- Tankan has broad-spectrum antimicrobial properties.
- Yashada Bhasma has anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. It accelerates wound healing by epithelial regeneration.
- The main ingredients of Pilex ointment are Mimosa pudica, Vitex negundo, Eclipta alba and Solanum nigrum. These herbs possess styptic and anti-inflammatory properties and help in regeneration of the vascular endothelium.
Benefits of Pilex
- It helps to reduce the hemorrhoidal mass.
- It controls the bleeding.
- It has laxative action.
- It gives relief from itching, pain and discomfort during defecation.
- It is safe and effective in the management of uncomplicated early hemorrhoids.
Uses of Pilex (tablet, ointment)
- Internal and external piles
- In management of varicose veins
- Anal fissures
- Pregnancy induced haemorrhoids
Dosage of Pilex (tablet, ointment)
Two tablets thrice daily for one week, followed by two tablets twice daily for four weeks. Then 1 tablet for few weeks to few months.
Pilex ointment should be applied externally.