Haridra Khanda is polyherbal classical Ayurvedic formulation. The main ingredient of this medicine is Haridra or turmeric and Khanda Sharkara (sugar candy). Haldi or turmeric is one of the best remedy for treating urticaria. In case one suffers from frequent urticaria, regular use of haldi helps to correct the condition. Turmeric is anti-oxidant, Tonic, carminative, antidiabetic, blood purifying, diuretic, expectorant and anti-allergic.
Haridra Khanda is useful in Sheet-pitta or Urticaria. It is also indicated in allergic dermatitis, itching, other diseases of the skin and all kinds of respiratory problems of allergic origin.
Here is given more about Haridra Khanda such as indication/therapeutic uses, composition, and dosage.
- Reference Text: Bhaishajya Ratnavali
- Synonyms: HaridraKhandam, Haridrakhanda
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Classical Medicine
- Main Indication: Uriticaria, Hives, itching, boils and allergic condition
- Suitable for: Unisex
- Combination: Arogyavardhini Vati, Khadirarishta (Itchy skin, dermatitis), Ghandhak Rasyan (Burning sensation)
Key Ingredients of Haridra Khanda
- Haridra (Rz.) 384 g
- Go-ghrita 288 g
- Godugdha3.072 l.
- Khanda 2.400 kg
- Shunthi (Rz.) 48 g
- Maricha (Fr.) 48 g
- Pippali (Fr.) 48 g
- Tvak (St. Bk.) 48 g
- Ela (Sd.) 48 g
- Patra ( Tejapatra) (Lf.) 48 g
- Krimighna( Vidanga) (Fr.) 48 g
- Trivrita(Trivrit) (Rt.) 48 g
- Haritaki (P.) 48 g
- Bibhitaka (P.) 48 g
- Amalaki (P.) 48 g
- Kesara (Nagakeshar)(Stmn.) 48 g
- Musta (Rt. Tr.) 48 g
- Lauha bhasma 48 g
Lf.=Leaf;P.=Pericarp;Rt.=Root;Fr.=Fruit;Rz.=Rhizome;Sd.= Seeds;St.=Stem;St. Bk.= Stem Bark;Fl. Bd.=Flower Bud;Stmn.=Stamen;
Haridra (also known as Rajni, Nisha, Nishi, Haldi, Haladhi, Turmeric) consists of the dried and cured rhizomes of Curcuma longa Linn. It mainly contains essential oil and curcumin. It is bitter, and pungent in taste (Rasa), pungent after digestion (Vipaka), and is hot in effect (Virya). It is Ruksha (drying) in quality (Guna). Turmeric balances vitiated Kapha and Pitta. It is anthelmintic (Krimighna) and poison-destroying (Vishaghna). It is used in all type of the skin diseases both internally and externally. As it is drying in nature, it reduces excessive phlegm in the body. It detoxifies blood.
Haridra is a broad spectrum medicine effective in indigestion, poor circulation, cough, cold, flu, skin disorders, diabetes, arthritis, Madhumeha, swelling, fever, bacterial infection, intestinal worms, the liver complaints, stammering, filaria, sprain, boils, wounds, conjunctivitis, thirst due to phlegm, allergic reactions, etc.
Trikatu, combination of dry ginger, black pepper and long pepper (Sonth + Pippali + Kali Mirch) is effective for burning Ama (metabolic waste and toxins) which is the prime cause of all disease. It supports better digestion by stimulating the liver to secrete bile and also balances Kapha.
Triphala (Amla + Harad + Baheda) is a tonic for the whole body. It has been used in various gastric disorders including intestinal inflammation. Amla, has significant acid lowering, cooling and anti-ulcer properties. Triphala is a rich source of tannins, which is known to affect the integrity of mucus membrane. Tannins with their protein precipitating and vasoconstriction effects could be advantageous in preventing ulcer development.
Vidang / Embelia ribes Burm / false black pepper, is anthelmintic (Krimighna), ascaricidal (kills roundworm), carminative, antibacterial, antibiotic, hypoglycemic, antifertility, antibacterial and febrifuge properties. It is the main herb used in Ayurveda for the treatment of intestinal parasites. It is useful in all abdominal disorders, constipation, gas, indigestion, piles, etc.
Motha, Purple nutsedge or nutgrass (English), is especially used as a cure for gastrointestinal and joint ailments. It has anti-inflammatory, antidiabetic, antidiarrheal, antipyretic, and analgesic activities. It is appetizer (deepan), digestive stimulant (pachan), anthelmintic (krimighna), diuretic (mutra virecaniya), scarifying/reducer of corpulence (lekhanya), purifier of plasma (rasa pachaniya), antisaturative (triptighna), antipruriginous (kandughna), galactopurificator (stanyashodana) and thirst restraining trishnagrahana).
Lauha Bhasma, is an iron-based herbo-metallic preparation consisting of Fe2O3 and Fe3O4 and having Vayasthapana (anti-aging), Lekhana (emaciating) and Rasayana (immunomodulator) properties. It cures diseases caused by vitiated Kapha and Pitta. Lauha Bhasma increases hemoglobin level.
Lauha Bhasma is useful in anemia (Panduroga), chlorosis, visarpa, heart’s affections, phthisis, scrofula, general debility, sexual debility, Bright’s disease, Prameha (diabetes), Yakshma (tuberculosis), Krimi Roga (worm infestation), Kshinatwa (cachexia), Sthaulya (obesity), Grahani (bowel syndrome), Agnimandya (dyspepsia), Shula (spasmodic pain), Visha (poisoning) , blood impurity, jaundice, the liver and spleen complaints, pain, asthma, piles, skin disease. It promotes digestion. Iron is useful in all chronic diseases.
- Anti-inflammatory: Reducing inflammation by acting on body mechanisms.
- Antioxidant: Neutralize the oxidant effect of free radicals and other substances.
- Anti-allergic: Prevents, or relieves an allergy.
- Antimicrobial: Active against microbes.
- Anti-irritant: Reduces signs of inflammation, such as swelling, tenderness, pain, itching, or redness.
- Antihistamine: Inhibits the physiological effects of histamine, and thus helps in the treatment of allergies.
- Anthelmintic: Antiparasitic, expel parasitic worms (helminths) and other internal parasites from the body.
Benefits of Haridra Khanda
- It is helps in variety of the skin diseases.
- It reduces inflammation and itching of the skin.
- It is beneficial in skin diseases characterized by swelling, rashes, burning sensation and itchiness.
- It gives relief in runny nose, itchy nose, watery eyes, sneezing, etc. occurring due to hay fever.
- It contains Loha Bhasma and hence helps in anemia or low hemoglobin level.
- It has anthelmintic activity.
- It is drying in nature and reduces phlegm inside the body.
- It improves body immunity.
Uses of Haridra Khanda
- Sheet-pitta (Urticaria)
- Skin Allergy, Psoriasis, Eczema
- Allergic rhinitis
- Allergic bronchitis
- Kandu (Itching)
- Visphota (Blister)
- Dadru (Taeniasis)
- Udarda (Urticaria)
- Chronic fever
- Prurigo (skin disease characterized by pruritic (itchy) nodules which usually appear on the arms or legs.)
- Skin Rashes in Chikungunya
- Kasa and Swasa (Cough and Dyspnea)
What is Sheet-pitta/Sitapitta?
Shita-pitta is an Ayurvedic name of Urticaria or nettle rash. In this condition, swallon rash or raised swell patches appear on the skin. These patches are very itchy. Such patches can occur on some body parts or all over the body. Sometimes urticaria is caused by an allergic reaction to some specific foods.
As per Ayurveda, the reason for Shita-pitta is aggravation of vata and kapha along with vitiation of pitta.
- Urticaria, occur due to variety of reason including:
- Sudden exposure to cold air when body is hot sudden
- Variation of temperature
- Swimming in water for prolonged period
- Intestinal parasites, etc.
The Dosage of Haridra Khanda
The recommended dosage of Haridra Khanda is 5 grams/1 teaspoon thrice a day with milk or honey. Children (above the age of 7 years) can be given half of the adult dose.
- It can also be given to babies but the dose willl be accordingly adjusted depending on weight, condition and digestion.
- In the case of recurrent urticaria, it should be taken for 2-3 months.
- For allergic rhinitis it should be taken for 2-3 weeks.
- It contains many hot spices and iron and should not be taken more than 12 grams/day.
- This medicine should be preferably taken after the meal.
- Or take as directed by a physician.
Where to buy
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores.
Pharmacies Making Haridra Khanda
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores. Since it is a classical medicine, it is manufactured by many Ayurvedic pharmacies.
Name of some of the Ayurvedic Pharmacies manufacturing this medicine is given below:
- Kottakkal (Haridrakhandam) Rs. 56.00 for 100 grams
- Nagarjuna (HaridraKhandam) Rs. 66.00 for 100 grams
- Sdm Haridra Khanda Granules Rs. 65.00 for 100 grams
- Sri Sri Ayurveda (Haridra Khanda) MRP ₹ 95.00 for 80 grams and some other pharmacies.
Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects, and Warnings
- It is safe to take this medicine in the recommended dosage.
- It contains turmeric which reduces Kapha but increases Pitta and Vata if taken in excess. Turmeric increase dryness and heat in the body.
- It contains turmeric, Trikatu, and other hot potency medicinal herbs. Therefore people suffering from Pitta roga, hyperacidity, bleeding disorders and ulcers should take it cautiously.
- As a general rule, do not take any medicine without consulting gynecologist during pregnancy.
- It can be taken one month after the delivery.
- It is safe to take during breastfeeding.
- It contains Khanda, and hence it is not suitable for diabetics.
- During treatment take light and easily digestible food. Do not drink alcohol.