Table of Contents
- 1 Ingredients of Guduchi Satva
- 2 Ayurvedic Properties and Action
- 3 Ayurvedic Action / Karma
- 4 Benefits of Guduchi Satva
- 5 Important Therapeutic Uses of Guduchi Satva
- 6 The Dosage of Guduchi Satva
- 7 Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects, and Warnings
- 8 Pharmacies Making Giloy Satva
Guduchi Satva is Starchy substance from Tinospora cordifolia (Willd.) Miers ex Hook. F. & Thoms. (Family: Menispermaceae) commonly known, as Amrita or Guduchi. Satva or Sara of an herb is the essence or active part of the herb. Here Satva of Giloy is obtained by grinding, soaking in water and stirring. The supernatant water is removed and the starchy portion is dried which is known as Giloy Satva.
In Ayurveda Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia) or Guduchi is used in the preparation of various medicines and is known for it’s an aphrodisiac, immunostimulant, hepatoprotective, antioxidant, anticancer and ant diabetic actions. The stem of the plant are used both fresh and dried in the treatment of fevers, diabetes, dyspepsia, jaundice, urinary problems, skin diseases, chronic diarrhea, dysentery heart diseases, leprosy, helminthiasis, and rheumatoid arthritis.
Giloy is mentioned in most of the classical texts of Ayurvedic System of Medicine, viz. Charak Samhita, Sushruta Samhita and Ashtanga Hridaya, Bhava Prakash Nighantu, Dhanvantari Nighantu, and various other texts.
In Sushruta Samhita, Giloy is mentioned under Tikta-Saka Varga and given in the treatment of Kustha (leprosy), Maha-jvara (a kind of fever), Svasa (asthma) and Aruchi (anorexia).
In Charak Samhita and Ashtang Hridaya, it has been indicated in diseases like Kamala (jaundice), Jvara (fever) and Vatarakta (gout), etc.
In Bhava Prakash, Giloy is mentioned as bitter Tonic, astringent, diuretic and potent aphrodisiac and effective against skin infections, jaundice, diabetes, and chronic diarrhea and dysentery.
In Dhanvantari Nighantu, use of Giloy is mentioned in the treatment of bleeding piles, promoting longevity, curing itching and erysipelas.
Giloy sat or sattva is used for the treatment of fever due to any reason, swine flu, and any recurrent infection. Guduchi-satva is highly nutritive and digestive and used in many diseases. Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition, and dosage.
- Synonyms: Amrita Sat, Amrita Satva, Guruch Sat, Giloy Sat, Giloy Satva, Guduchi Sat, Guduchi Satwa
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Classical herbal Medicine
- Main Indication: Tonic, ulcer, fever, low immunity, chronic diseases, etc.
- Suitable for: Every one
- Colour: Guduchi Satva is clear white like conch shell (Shankhanibha).
- Taste: Tasteless/No taste.
- Odour: Not specific.
- On touch: Smooth-amorphous powder.
Ingredients of Guduchi Satva
Solid aqueous extract of Tinospora cordifolia (Willd.)
Preparation of Giloy Satva
- The fresh Guduchi stems are taken and chopped into pieces of 1.5-2 inches having 1.6-2.0 cm diameter.
- Then these are pounded thoroughly to convert into a slimy paste.
- This mass is kept for soaking overnight (12 h) with four times of potable water in a stainless-steel vessel.
- Next morning this mass is macerated thoroughly with hands in water for about 1 hour.
- This is filtered slowly through a clean four folded cotton cloth.
- The liquid was kept aside undisturbed for 4hours.
- The supernatant liquid was carefully siphoned off.
- White starchy sediment, which is settled at the bottom, is collected into a tray and air dried under the running fan and stored in airtight glass jars.
Ayurvedic Properties and Action
Guduchi is astringent, bitter, and pungent in taste (Rasa), sweet after digestion (Vipaka), and is hot in effect (Virya). It is an Ushna Virya herb. Ushna Virya or hot potency herb subdues Vata (Wind) and Kapha (Mucus) and increases Pitta (Bile).
- Rasa (taste on the tongue): Kashaya (Astringent), Katu (Pungent), Tikta (Bitter)
- Guna (Pharmacological Action): Laghu (Light), Snigdha (Unctuous)
- Virya (Action): Ushna (Heating)
- Vipaka (transformed state after digestion): Madhura (Sweet)
It is a Katu Vipak herb. Vipak refers to post-digestive (effect after digestion/cooking of Rasa) effect of tastes after its mixing with digestive juices. It is the long-term effect of the herb.
It has very interesting energetics. It is bitter, astringent, pungent, yet heating and also sweet post-digestively. Its bitter and astringent quality clears Pitta, and Kapha, it’s heating energy burns ama, while its enduring sweet effect regulates Vata and gives it an aphrodisiac quality that nourishes reproductive fluids.
- Dosha effect: Balances Vata-Pitta and Kapha, primarily reduces Vata and Pitta
- Dhatu (tissue): Plasma, blood, muscle, fat, nerve, reproductive
- Srotas (channel): Circulatory, digestive
Ayurvedic Action / Karma
- Amapachana: Removing toxins.
- Amavataghna: Reliever of gout/arthritis.
- Ayushyaprada: Promotes life.
- Balya: Increases strength.
- Daahaprasamanam: Relieve burning sensation
- Dipaniya: Increases appetite.
- Jvarahara: Reduces fevers.
- Medhya: Nerve Tonic.
- Raktashodhana: Cleanses the blood.
- Rasayani: Rejuvenate the cells and extend life.
- Sandhaneeya: Promote the union of fractured or divided parts.
- Shukrashodhana: Purifier of sperm.
- Snehopayoga: Promote lubrication.
- Stanyashodhana: Purify milk.
- Triptighna: Destroy satisfaction. They remove the phlegm which causes a sense of satiety.
- Trishnanigrahanam: Relieve thirst.
- Vayasthaapana: Prevent the effects of age.
- Anti-allergic: Prevents, or relieves an allergy.
- Antibacterial: Active against bacteria.
- Anti-hyperglycemic: Counteracting high levels of glucose in the blood.
- Anti-inflammatory: Reducing inflammation by acting on body mechanisms.
- Antioxidant: Neutralize the oxidant effect of free radicals and other substances.
- Antipyretic/antifebrile/febrifuge: Effective against fever.
- Anti-viral: Effective against viruses.
- Cholagogue: Promotes the discharge of bile from the system, purging it downward.
- Diuretic: Causing increased passing of urine.
- Hepatoprotective: Prevent damage to the liver.
- Immunomodulatory: Modifies the immune response or the functioning of the immune system.
- Nervine: Used to calm the nerves.
- Tonic: Restore or improve health or well-being.
Benefits of Guduchi Satva
- It supports better functioning of the liver.
- It protects the liver from pathogenic factors.
- It prevents the liver damage from viral hepatitis or poisoning from alcohol, chemicals or recreational and medicinal drugs.
- It is helpful in bleeding disorders.
- It gives relief in excessive thirst.
- It helps in better management of sugar level.
- It helps in fever due to virus or bacteria, cold-cough, infections, the liver diseases and several other diseases due to immunomodulating action.
- It improves body immunity to fight infections.
- It reduces excessive Pitta and hence gives relief in the burning sensation, bleeding disorders and excessive heat inside the body.
- It gives relief in acidity, ulcers and ulcerative colitis.
- It is a cooling remedy for the treatment of all Pitta conditions.
- It is also useful in chronic dysentery, chronic diarrhea, Amlapitta (i.e. hyperacidity) diseases of the urinary tract and fever.
- It gives relief in Gout (vata rakta), arthritis (ama vata) and other inflammatory joint conditions.
- It cleanses pitta toxins and uric acid via the urinary system accumulated in the body.
- It helps in degenerative diseases such as cancer, AIDS, and arthritis as it boosts the immune system.
- It offsets the ulcerative and toxic effects of chemoradiotherapy.
- It helps in suppurative and inflammatory skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, systemic lupus erythematosus.
- Due to rejuvenating action, it indicated in several diseases causing debility.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Guduchi Satva
Guduchi satva is effective in cardiac debility, blood disorders, rheumatoid arthritis, splenomegaly, gout, chronic dysentery, chronic diarrhea, amla Pitta (i.e. hyperacidity) diseases of the urinary tract and anemia.
- Amlapitta / Hyperacidity
- Aruchi / Low appetite
- Bleeding diseases
- Bleeding piles
- Burning sensation
- Epistaxis/nose bleed/nakseer
- Fever, chronic fever, Malaria, Dengue, Chikungunya
- Inflammatory condition
- Jaundice, hepatitis, the liver diseases
- Recurrent infection
- Swine flu
- Urinary disorders
- Ulcers, ulcerative colitis
- Viral fever
The Dosage of Guduchi Satva
- The recommended dosage of medicine is 500mg-2 gram for an adult person.
- Children above the age of 5 can be given, half of this dosage.
- For fevers, take Guduchi Satva + Sudarshan Churna (1 teaspoon).
- For cough, take Guduchi Satva + Talisadi Churna (1 teaspoon).
- For diabetes, take Guduchi Satva + Turmeric and Amla powder (mixed in equal parts, 1 teaspoon).
- For burning sensation, take Guduchi Satva + Praval Pishti.
- For Vata Rakta, take Guduchi Satva + Shuddha Guggulu.
- For Amavata, take Guduchi Satva + Ginger powder.
- It should be taken once or twice a day.
- It is to be taken with Ghee/Honey, followed by one cup of warm water (Koshna Jala).
- Or take as directed by a doctor.
Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects, and Warnings
- It is completely safe to take this medicine in recommended doses.
- It is can be taken for a long period.
- Take cautiously during pregnancy.
- No drug-herb interactions are known.
- Effectivity of herbal medicine depends on many factors. A medicine suitable for one person may not essentially give the same result in another person.
- The exact dose depends on the age, strength, digestive power of the patient, the nature of the illness, the state of the viscera and humours, and the properties of individual drugs.
- Keep away from the sight and reach of children.
Pharmacies Making Giloy Satva
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores. Since it is a classical medicine, it is manufactured by many Ayurvedic pharmacies.
Name of some of the Ayurvedic Pharmacies manufacturing this medicine is given below:
- Baidyanath Giloy Satva
- Dabur Giloya Satva
- Morpheme Guduchi Satva Tinospora cordifolia 500 mg capsules
- and many other Ayurvedic pharmacies.