Table of Contents
Eladya Modaka is a semisolid aromatic confection prepared with cardamom, honey, Chitrak, turmeric, Daruhaldi, triphala, long pepper, Munakka, sesame seeds, etc. The chief ingredient of this medicine is Ela or cardamom which have hepatoprotective, anti-inflammatory, analgesic, antispasmodic, antimicrobial and antifungal properties. Cardamom protects the liver and improves its function. In the case of the liver diseases, cirrhosis of the liver, alcoholism and similar the liver conditions, the oral intake of Eladi modak for a few months, protects the liver and decreases level of serum enzymes, cholesterol and bilirubin.
What is Modak
Modakas are boluses, larger than gutikas, prepared by adding powders of medicinal substances to cold syrup and stirring them together till uniformly mixed. No boiling is required in this preparation. Syrups should be made with sugar and water, or with sugar and decoction of the prescribed drugs.
Ingredients of Eladya Modaka
Eladya Modaka is a semisolid preparation made with the ingredients in the Formulation composition given below.
- Ela इलाइची (Sukshmaila) Elettaria cardamomum Sd. 1 part
- Madhu शहद ka Madhu शहद ca indica Fl. 1 part
- Agni चित्रक Plumbago zeylanica Rt. 1 part
- Haridra हल्दी Curcuma longa Rz. 1 part
- DaruHaridra दारुहल्दी Berberis aristata St. 1 part
- Haritaki हरीतकी Terminalia chebula P. 1 part
- Bibhitaka विभितकी Terminalia belerica P. 1 part
- Amalki अमलकी Emblica officinalis P. 1 part
- Raktashali (Shali) Oryza sativa Sd. 1 part
- Kana (Pippali पिप्पली) Piper longum Fr. 1 part
- Draksha द्राक्षा Vitis vinifera Dr. Fr. 1 part
- Kharjura खजूर Phoenix sylvestris Fr. 1 part
- Tila तिल Sesamum indicum Sd. 1 part
- Yava Hordeum vulgare Sd. 1 part
- Vidari विदारी Pueraria tuberosa Rt. Tr. 1 part
- Gokshura गोखरू Bija (Gokshura) Tribulus terrestris Fr. 1 part
- Trivrita त्रिवृत (Trivrit) Ipomoea turpethum Rt. 1 part
- Shatavari शतावरी Asparagus racemosus Rt. 1 Part
- Sita Sugar चीनी candy 36 part
- Jala पानी Water 12 part
Method of Preparation
- Take all ingredients of pharmacopoeial quality.
- Wash, clean, dry ingredients numbered 1 to 18 in formulation composition, powder separately and pass through sieve number 85.
- Add Sugar to water in a stainless steel vessel and heat, maintaining the temperature between 800 and 900.
- After the Sugar dissolves, filter the hot syrup through a muslin cloth.
- Heat the filtered syrup until it becomes thick syrup of optimum consistency. Stop heating and allow to cool to 500.
- Add the fine powders of Prakshepa Dravyas with constant stirring to form a homogeneous mixture. Roll the mixture into Modaka of approximately 6 g each while warm.
- Pack in a tightly closed container to protect from light and moisture.
Brown soft balls;initially bitter followed by slightly sweet and pungent taste and faintly flavored with Ela.
Store in cool place in a tightly closed amber colored containers, protect from light and moisture.
Therapeutic uses of Eladya Modaka
- Eladi modak is especially useful in alcoholism.
- Agnimandya (digestive impairment)
- Chardi (emesis)
- Madatyaya (alcoholism)
- Madyapanaja Vikara (alcoholism disorder)
The Dosage of Eladya Modaka
6 to 12 gm twice a day, with fresh milk. Or take as recommended by a physician.