Table of Contents
Dhatri Lauha is a herbomineral medicine referenced from Bhaishajyaratnavali, shularogadhikara (treatment of Gastric ulcer/Duodenal ulcer/Colic). It is a classical Ayurvedic medicine available in form of tablets and indicated to treat Amlapitta (Hyperacidity), Parinamasula (Duodenal ulcer), Ajirna (Dyspepsia or indigestion) and the disorders of the alimentary canal.
It is a Lauha kalpa. Lauha kalpas are preparations of Lauha Bhasma as main ingredient added to other drugs. For preparing Lauha Kalp, the medicinal herbs are reduced to fine powder and mixed with Lauha Bhasma. Bhavana is given with prescribed liquids if mentioned. When well protected from moisture and heat, Lauha Kalp keep their potency for a period of two years
Ingredients of Dhatri Lauha
Dhatri ( Amalaki) (P.) 384 g
Lauha churna – Bhasma 192 g
Yashthimadhu raja (Yashthi) (Rt.) 96 g
Amrita ( Guduchi) kwath (St.) Q.S. for bhavana
Method of Preparation
Drugs 1 to 3 are powdered separately and mixed together and put in Amrita Kashaya for Bhavana. After seven days it is taken and dried in the sun. It is then mixed well.
Amalki is also known as Dhatri in Sanskrit which means ‘supporter/ sustainer’ and ‘nurse’. So the name Dhatri signifies one that heals, supports and heals. Amla is nutritive tonic of Ayurveda. It is healing and rejuvenating. Its intake gives good eyesight, keeps hair black and helps in better absorption of iron.
Another important use of Dhatri or Amla in Ayurveda, is to treat hyperacidity. Intake of Amla in form of juice or powder gives relief in acidity due to its pitta pacifying and cooling properties.
In a clinical study, hyperacidity patients were given 9 to 13.5 g/day (in three divided doses) of Amla for an initial 2 weeks. This was followed by a dose of 6 to 9 g/day (two divided doses) for the rest of total duration of 3 months. It was observed, the secretion of acid and pepsin significantly decreased. Complete radiological healing was seen in peptic-ulcer patients. There was marked symptomatic relief in most of the patients. It also increase in hemoglobin concentration. Both the prophylactic and curative properties of Amla have been observed in another study on experimental peptic ulcer. Amalaki powder produced symptomatic improvement, significant reduction in gastric acidity response, and endoscopic healing.
The second and important ingredient of Dhatri Lauha is Mulethi or licorice. Mulethi has anti-ulcer properties.
Benefits of Dhatri Lauha
- It gives relief in hyperacidity.
- It reduces free and total acidity significantly.
- It contains Lauha Bhasma (Iron calcined) so it is also useful in treating anemia.
- It is also effective in treating diseases of eyes and jaundice.
- It cures impaired digestive fire.
- It gives relief in bleeding disorder.
Dhatri Lauha has dipana (appetizer) pachana (digestive), shrot-shodhak (channel cleanser), tridoshaghna (body humor specifier), Raktavardhak (one which increases blood), Rasayana (rejuvenative) and balya (one which increases strength) properties.
Uses of Dhatri Lauha
- Hyperacidity, Amlapitta
- Abdominal colic
- Gastric ulcer
- Epigastric pain, acid eructation, epigastric and retrosternal
- Burning sensation
- Distension of abdomen due to obstruction to passage of urine and stools
In a study, Dhatri Lauha and Navayas Lauha were given to pregnant anemic women in dose of a 250 mg thrice a day in the form of vati, after food for 90 days with ghee or honey. The treatment showed significant result in anemia in pregnancy (Garbhini Pandu).
Dosage of Dhatri Lauha
1-2 tablet twice daily with honey or ghee before and after the meal or as directed by physician.
Dhatri Lauha is administered with honey or ghee as they enhance the medicinal qualities of the medicine and also help them to reach the deeper tissue. It is also be a mixture of glucose and fructose and iron may complex with these sugars for absorption.
Please note, the doses of Ayurvedic medicines are not fixed. Exact dose depends on the age, strength, digestive power of the patient, the nature of the illness, the state of the viscera and humours, and the properties of individual drugs.
This medicine is manufactured by Baidyanath (Dhatri Lauh), Unjha (Dhatri Lauha), Sri Sri Ayurveda (Dhatri Lauha), and many other Ayurvedic pharmacies.
- Das, S. and Shaw, B.P., Effect of dhatri lauha on gastric acidity of the patients of amlapitta, J. Ayur. Yoga, 4, 7, 1983.
- Varma, M.D. et al., Amalaki rasayana in the treatment of peptic ulcer, J. Res. Ind. Med. Yoga Homoeo., 12(4) 19, 1977.
- Banu, N. et al., Role of amalaki (Emblica officinalis Linn.) rasayana in experimental peptic ulcer, J. Res. Educ. Ind. Med., 1(1) 29, 1982.
- Comparative Clinical Study of Dhatri Lauha and Navayasa Lauha in Garbhini Panduroga With Reference To Anemia in Pregnancy” Dr.Bhagyashri Mahavir Khot. Dr.Arun Jagannath Patil, Dr.Anil Chindhu kakad.