Table of Contents
Chaturmukh Ras is classical Ayurvedic medicine with antiaging and strengthening properties. The main indication of this medicine is phthisis, asthma, chronic bronchitis, epilepsy, and other nervous diseases & disorders (vatavyadhis). this medicine alleviates swoons, insanity, epilepsy, piles, gonorrhea, chlorosis, colic pain, asthma, sour bile, loss of appetite, and other diseases.
Chaturmukha Rasa is prepared from one part of each of mercury, sulfur, iron, and mica. These are pounded together with the expressed juice of Aloe vera and made into a ball. This ball is enclosed with the leaves of Ricinus communis and is kept for 3 days within a heap of paddy. Taking it out after that period, pills are rolled.
This is Rasa Aushadhi. The main ingredient of Rasa Aushadhi is Shuddha Parada along with the other components. Parad or mercury is used only after proper purification which is done by Shodhana, Mardana (grinding), Swedana(vapourising), Prakshalana (performing frequent ablutions), Galana (straining fluids), etc. The processing detoxifies mercury and brings about the physical and chemical changes in the drug, thus enhance their therapeutic efficiency.
As this medicine contains herbomineral ingredients, therefore it is highly recommended to give this medicine only under medical supervision, in the recommended dosage and for a prescribed duration. This page is intended to give you the correct information about this medicine. Do not use this information to self-diagnose and self-medicate. Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition, and dosage.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as:
- What is Chaturmukh Ras?
- What are the ingredients present in Chaturmukh Ras?
- What are the uses of Chaturmukh Ras?
- What are the side-effects of Chaturmukh Ras?
- When not to take Chaturmukh Ras?
- What are the possible drug interactions?
- What are the warnings and suggestions?
Reference Text: Bhaishajya ratnavali, VataVyadhikara
Synonyms: Chaturmukha Rasa
Availability: Online and at medical stores
Type of medicine: Classical Medicine
Main Indication: Nervous Diseases & Disorders (Vatavyadhis)
Dosha Effect: Vata and KApaha Reducing
Baidyanath Chaturmukh Ras 10 Tabs @ Rs 350.00
Chaturmukh Ras Composition
Ingredients present in this formulation are given below:
- Rasa (Parada) – shuddha 1 Part
- Gandhaka – shuddha 1 Part
- Loha bhasma 1 Part
- Abhra (Abhraka) – bhasma 1 Part
- Kanya (Kumari) svarasa (Lf.) Q.S. for mardhana 1/4 Part
- Eranda – Patra (Lf.) Q.S.
Method of Preparation
First Shuddh Parad and Shudh Gandhak are blended to form Kajjali, which is black sulfide of mercury prepared by thoroughly blending equal proportion of purified Parad/Mercury and Gandhak/Sulphur. Kajjali is a Rasayana and pacifies tridosh. Another Bhasma is added to the Kajjali. The Kajjali mixture is given Bhavana (treatment) of Kumari Swaras to get a uniform blend which is rolled into a bolus. It is covered with Castor leaves and tied with a string and stored in a Dhanyaraashi/ vessel or sack of grains for 3 days. Then from the bolus tablets measuring 1 Ratti are rolled. This is Chaturmukh Ras.
Know the Ingredients
Para, Parad, Rasa or mercury is a heavy metal that remains liquid at room temperature. It is used in Ayurveda only after proper detoxification as per classical Ayurvedic texts.
Mercury is known as Rasa in Ayurveda and medicines that are prepared using purified mercury, purified Sulphur, and other Bhasma, etc. are named as Ras Aushadhi (Mercurial Preparations).
Ras Aushadhi (Parad containing medicine) are fast acting. They nourish the whole body and has Tonic, aphrodisiac, rejuvenative, anti-aging, wound-healer, and antimicrobial effect.
The combination of mercury with other medicinal ingredients enhances the therapeutic efficacy of the medicine due to Yogvahi property of Parad. In preparation of Ras Aushadhi/medicine first Kajjali is made from purified Parad and Gandhak. As these medicines contain heavy metals, it is better to take them as prescription drugs.
Bhasma is organo-metallic compounds in which the metal is calcinated along with various juices, decoction of herbal ingredients to form palatable complexes. Bhasma is prepared in a well explained, generalized classical format, Shodhana, Jarana and Marana (programmed heating through Puta system).
Abhrak Bhasma is the calcination of the mineral, mica. It is an established Rasayana (Rejuvenative tonic; nourishes all Dhatu and builds Ojas; promotes longevity by preventing aging and by making the body young again) of Ayurveda.
Abhrak Bhasma contains iron as a major element and magnesium, potassium, calcium, and aluminum in traces. It is a broad-spectrum medicine effective in the treatment of acidity, respiratory ailments, anemia, hepatitis, viral hepatitis, sex debility, azoospermia, etc. Abhraka Bhasma It is a wonder drug due to its curative property in various ailments.
Lauha Bhasma is calcined iron. It is an inorganic preparation. Luha Bhasma has the following composition:
- Ferris oxide Fe2O3 87.930%
- Ferrous oxide FeO 2.850%
- Silica SiO2 7.338 %
- Phosphorous pentoxide P2O5 0.338%
- Magnesia MgO 0.083 %
- Lime CaO 0.363 %
- Potash K2O 0.012 %
Lauha Bhasma is Vayasthapana (anti-aging), Lekhana (emaciating) and Rasayana (immunomodulator) properties. It increases strength, complexion, and appetite. It cures diseases caused by vitiated Kapha and Pitta.
Lauha Bhasma is useful in anemia (Panduroga), chlorosis, visarpa, heart’s affections, phthisis, scrofula, general debility, sexual debility, Bright’s disease, blood impurity, jaundice, the liver and spleen complaints, pain, asthma, piles, skin disease. It promotes digestion.
Ayurvedic Action / Karma
- Kantivardhak: Improves complexion
- Majja dhatu Rasayana: Rejuvenative to the nervous tissue
- Rasayana: Rejuvenative, alternative tonics, prevent or remove the effects of age, increase the vigour of healthy persons and cure the ailments of the sick
- Vatashamana: Pacifies vata and neurological disorders
- Yogvahi: Potentiating property when coadministered with other drugs
- Alterative: alters the morbid or unhealthy processes of nutrition and excretion and restores the normal functioning.
- Antidiabetic: Controlling diabetes.
- Antioxidant: Neutralize the oxidant effect of free radicals and other substances.
- Neuroprotective: Protects neuronal structure and/or function.
- Rejuvenator: Rejuvenates body.
- Tonic: Give a feeling of vigour or well-being.
Chaturmukh Ras Health Benefits
- It removes wrinkles and other signs of age.
- It nourishes the body.
- It increases strength.
- It is especially indicated in the diseases, which cause loss of Dhatu.
- It helps in early wrinkling of the skin (vali) and graying of hair (palita).
Chaturmukh Ras Therapeutic Uses
Chaturmukh Ras is herbominearal medicine useful in treating all type of vata roga and other various nervous diseases. It is also used to cure weakness, cough and fever post-delivery. It shows good result in Epilepsy, insomnia, Mental disorders, Nervous debility, and other nervous system diseases.
Chaturmukh Ras is also given for treating Chronic bronchitis, Anemia, Digestive weakness, Piles, Hyperacidity, Diarrhoea, physical weakness, Asthma, and Pulmonary tuberculosis. This medicine gives good result in curing symptoms of Prameha/ diabetes.
- Agnimandya (Digestive impairment)
- Amlapitta (Dyspepsia)
- Arsha (Haemorrhoids)
- Charm Roga (Skin disorders)
- Daurbalya (Weakness)
- Dhatu Kshaya (Tissue wasting)
- Hikka (Hiccup)
- Karshya (Emaciation)
- Kshaya (Pthisis)
- Manyastambha (Neck rigidity/Torticollis), Apasmara (Epilepsy)
- Pandu (Anemia)
- Prameha (Urinary disorders)
- Sandhyavata (Gout)
- Shula (Colicky Pain)
- Shvasa (Dyspnoea/Asthma)
- Unmada (Mania/Psychosis)
- Vali Palita (Wrinkles in skin and graying of hair)
- Vidradhi (Abscess)
- Visarpa (Erysipelas)
- Vrana (Ulcer)
Chaturmukh Ras Dosage
- The recommended dosage of medicine is 125 mg.
- It should be taken twice a day, in the morning and evening.
- It is to be taken with Triphala Kvatha, Honey.
- Or take as directed by a doctor.
- Ayurvedic medicines containing detoxified, toxic material/ poisonous substances, heavy metals should be taken only under medical supervision.
- It is a highly recommended to give this medicine only when prescribed by Ayurvedic doctor.
- Effectivity of herbal medicine depends on many factors. A medicine suitable for one person may not essentially give the same result in another person.
- The exact dose depends on the age, strength, digestive power of the patient, the nature of the illness, the state of the viscera and humours, and the properties of individual drugs.
- Do check the list of ingredients and their contraindications to avoid any side effects.
- If symptoms do not improve or worsen, consult a doctor.
- Specific contraindications have not been identified.
- It is not suitable for the long term use.
- It should not be used more than 1-2 months based on doctor’s prescription.
- Self-medication, long term use, overdose with this medicine may prove to be dangerous since it contains the heavy metal ingredient.
- It should not be given to children.
- It must not be taken during pregnancy.
- Not to be taken in kidney diseases without doctor’s consultation.
- This medicine is not for Type 1 diabetes.
Please maintain a gap of at least an hour between intake of any allopathic drug and Ayurvedic medicine to avoid drug interaction, if any.
Do not use many different medicines for the treatments of the same disease.
Side-effects of Chaturmukh Ras
Since it is hot in potency and increases Pitta, an excess dose may cause a burning sensation.
Do check the list of ingredients and their contraindications to avoid any side effects.
Please note, this medicine is a combination of calx of metals and minerals which can harm internal organs in a high dose.
In case a person is suffering from other medical conditions, such as diseases of the kidney, the liver, or heart, he or she must consult a doctor before taking this medicine.
Overdose can damage organs.
- Store in a cool and dry place in a tightly closed container, protected from light and moisture.
- Keep away from the sight and reach of children.
- Keep bottle cap closed after every use.
Pharmacies Making Chaturmukh Ras
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores. Since it is a classical medicine, it is manufactured by many Ayurvedic pharmacies.
Name of some of the Ayurvedic Pharmacies manufacturing this medicine is given below:
- Baidyanath Chaturmukh Ras
- Dabur Chaturmukh Ras With Gold
- Shree Dhootapapeshwar Limited SDL Chaturmukh Rasa
FAQs About Chaturmukh Ras
Is it safe to take Chaturmukh Ras?
It is safe to take Chaturmukh Ras in the recommended dosage when prescribed by a doctor.
What is the Chief Indication of Chaturmukh Ras?
The most common use of this medicine is for Nervous Disorders.
What is Effect on Vata-Pitta or Kapha?
- Vata Reducing.
- Pitta Increasing.
- Kapha Reducing.
Does it contain non-herbal ingredients?
Yes. It is prepared from detoxified mercury, sulfur, iron and mica.
How long can I take this medicine?
You may take it for 1-2 months.
What is the Best time to take Chaturmukh Ras?
It should be taken after the meal. Try to take at the same time daily.
Is Chaturmukh Ras a habit-forming medicine?
Is it safe to drive while taking Chaturmukh Ras?
If a person feels side effects such as drowsiness, dizziness, hypotension, headache, or any symptoms affecting mental alertness, he or she must not drive or operate heavy machinery.
Can I take it during periods?
It can be taken. Avoid during periods, if you feel any effect on bleeding pattern.
Can I take it during pregnancy?
Can a diabetic person take it?
Can I give it to children?
What happens in case of an overdose?
It is a metallic preparation. Overdosage can be toxic.
When to consume Chaturmukh Ras, empty stomach, before food or after food?
It should be taken after food.