Brihatyadi Kashayam is polyherbal Ayurvedic formulation. Kashayam or also known as kwath, kadha or decoction. Ayurvedic decoctions are prepared by boiling medicinal herbs in water as per formula of medicine.
Brihati/Solanum indicum, is indicated in urinary problems, painful urination. Kantkari/ choti Keteri / Solanum xanthocarpum, has diuretic, laxative properties and is useful in painful urination. Prishniparni/ Uraria picta and Shalparni/Desmodium gangeticum are used together and helps in better functioning of urinary system. Shalparni is a diuretic and used in dysuria. It strengthens urinary system. The whole combination of herbs makes this medicine an effective drug to treat urinary ailments. This medicine is also available in tablet form.
Here is given more about Brihatyadi Kashayam such as indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
- Reference Text: Ashtangahrudayam
- Synonyms: Brihatyadi Kashayam/Kwatham/Kwath/Quath, Bruhathyaai Kashaya Choornam
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Presentation: Powder/churna, Liquid and Tablets
- Type of medicine: Classical Medicine
- Main Indication: Urinary diseases
- Channel: Urinary system
Key Ingredients of Brihatyadi Kashayam
Below is listed all ingredients of Brihatyadi Kashayam:
- Brihati 1 part
- Kantakari 1 part
- Prishniparni 1 part
- Shalparni 1 part
- Gokhru 1 part
Key Ingredients Summary
1) Badi Kateri / Brihati consists of dried roots of plant Solanum indicum Linn. (Fam. Solanaceae). It is Tikta/bitter and Katu/pungent in taste (Ras) and light in action (Guna). Its post-digestive effect (Vipak) is Katu or pungent.
It is an Ushna Virya herb. Ushna Virya or hot potency herb, subdues Vata (Wind) and Kapha (Mucus) and increases Pitta (Bile). It has property of digestion, vomiting and purging, and gives feeling of lightness. It is considered bad for sperms and fetus. Brihati is Deepan, Pachan, Vathara, Kaphahara, Hridya and Grahi.
Brihati is an astringent, resolvent and aphrodisiac. It is used in dysuria, colic, coughs and asthma. The roots are diuretic and useful for dropsy, coughs and catarrhal ailments.
2) Chhoti kateri / Kantakari, consists of dried whole plant of Solanum surattense Burm. f., Syn. Solanum xanthocarpum Schrad . & Wendl (Fam. Solanaceae). Like Badi Kateri, it is also tikta/bitter and katu/pungent in taste (Ras), light and drying in action (Guna) and Katu-vipak (post-digestive effect). It is good for throat and improves appetite and digestion. It reduces swelling and toxins in body.
3) Kantakari roots are used for various lung ailments, diarrhea, cough and rheumatism.
4) Prishniparni consists of dried whole plant of Uraria picta Desv. (Fam. Fabaceae). It is hot in potency and Madhur Vipak. It possess four tastes viz. Madhura, Katu, Amla and Tikta. Prishniparni balances Tridosha. It is Vatahar, Shothahar and Balvardhak.
5) Shalaparni consists of dried whole plant of Desmodium gangeticum DC. (Fam. Fabaceae). It contains alkaloids, flavonoids, desmocarpan, desmocarpin, pterocarpan, desmodin, gangetin, gangetinin and 2-(NN-dimethylamino) acetophenone. It is hot in potency and Madhur Vipak. It is a tonic and pacifies Vata.
It has anti-pyretic, cholagogue, expectorant, diuretic and anti-catarrhal properties and beneficial in chronic congestion of the liver, jaundice, gall bladder stones, laryngitis, bronchitis, pneumonia, typhoid and other fevers.
6) Gokhru consists of root of Tribulus terrestris Linn. (Fam. Zygophyllaceae). It is a diuretic herb and used for urinary tract infections, oedema and urinary stones. It is a tonic, aphrodisiac and used for erectile dysfunction, spermatorrhoea and impotency. Gokhru is lithotriptic, reproductive tonic, nervine, antispasmodic, anabolic and alterative.
- Anti-inflammatory: Reducing inflammation by acting on body mechanisms.
- Antiseptic: Capable of preventing infection by inhibiting the growth of infectious agents.
- Antiurolithic: Dissolving or preventing the formation of calculi in the kidneys, ureters, or bladder.
- Diuretic: Promoting excretion of urine/agent that increases the amount of urine excreted.
Uses of Brihatyadi Kashayam
This medicine is useful in urinary discharge, painful urination, stones in urinary tract, kidney stones, and inflammation of bladder.
- Urinari calculi
Dosage of Brihatyadi Kashayam
Decoction: Boil 50 grams of coarse powder in one liter water till water reduces to one cup. Filter this and divide in three equal parts and drink thrice a day.
Tablets: The recommended dosage of Brihatyadi Kashayam is 2 tablets, twice a day after having meal.
Liquid: In liquid form, this medicine should be taken in dose of 5-15ml with equal amount of water, twice a day. Or take as directed by physician.
Generally children (above the Age of 12) can be given half of the adult dosage.
Pharmacies Making Brihatyadi Kashayam
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores. Since it is a classical medicine, it is manufactured by many Ayurvedic pharmacies.
Name of some of the Ayurvedic Pharmacies manufacturing this medicine are given below:
- Kottakkal Brihatyadi Kashayam
- Vaidyaratnam Bruhathyadi Kashayam, Bruhathyaai Kashaya Choornam
- and many other Ayurvedic pharmacies.
Side effects, Caution and Warnings
- It is completely safe to take this medicine in recommended doses.
- There are no known side-effects of medicine.
- It can be safely taken during breastfeeding.
- Do not take any medicine during pregnancy without consulting doctor.