Bhringraj Oil (Taila/Tel) is an herbal Ayurvedic medicated Oil containing Bhringraj as chief ingredient. Bhringraj is also known as Keshraj (Kesh=hair, Raja=king) as it solves all sort of hair problems. Bhringraj Oil is hair tonic, cooling, antiseptic and nervine. It used in hair care and for Shiro-Abhyanga (head massage). It strengthens, lengthens, and improves color tone. It is an excellent oil for premature hair graying. It nourishes and calms the mind.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and how to use.
- Type of medicine: Classical Medicine
- Purpose: Hair care
- Suitable for: All types of hair
- Reference text: Bhaishajya Ratnavali
- Effect on Dosha: Balances Pitta and Vata
Ingredients of Bhringraj Oil
Bhringraj Taila is a medicated oil preparation made with the ingredients in the formulation composition given below with murcchita Tila taila as the basic ingredient.
- Markava Svarasa (Bhringaraja) Eclipta alba Pl. 3.072 l
- Taila (Tila Taila) sesame oil – 768 ml
- Manjishtha Rubia cordifolia Rt. 48 g
- Padmaka Prunus cerasoides Ht. Wd. 48 g
- Lodhra Symplocos racemosa St. Bk. 48 g
- Chandana (Rakta Chandana) Pterocarpus santalinus Ht. Wd. 48 g
- Gairika – Shuddha Red ochre – 48 g
- Bala Sida cordifolia Rt. 48 g
- Haridra Curcuma longa Rz. 48 g
- Daruharidra Berberis aristata St. 48 g
- Keshara (Nagakeshara) Mesua ferrea Stmn. 48 g
- Priyangu Callicarpa macrophylla Fl. 48 g
- Madhuyashtika (Yashti) Glycyrrhiza glabra Rt. 48 g
- Prapaundarika Nelumbo nucifera Rt. 48 g
- Gopi (Shveta Sariva) Hemidesmus indicus Rt. 48 g
Method of Preparation
- Take all ingredients of pharmacopoeial quality.
- Treat Tila taila to prepare murcchita Tila taila.
- Treat Gairika to prepare Gairika – Shuddha.
- Take fresh Bhringaraja and wash thoroughly with water. Grind and filter through muslin cloth to obtain svarasa.
- Wash, clean, dry the ingredients numbered 3 to 6 and 8 to 14 of the Formulation Composition, powder separately and pass through 180 nm I. S. sieve (sieve number 85) (kalka dravya).
- Transfer the kalka dravya to the wet grinder alongwith Gairika – Shuddha and grind with sufficient quantity of water to prepare homogeneous blend (kalka).
- Take murcchita Tila Taila in a stainless steel vessel and heat it.
- Add increments of kalka, stir thoroughly while adding svarasa.
- Heat for 3 h with constant stirring, maintaining the temperature between 500 and 900 during the first hour of heating. Stop heating and allow to stand overnight.
- Continue the process of heating intermittently over a period of three days. Constantly check the kalka by rolling between the fingers.
- Stop the heating when the kalka breaks down into pieces on attempting to form a varti (kharapaka lakshana) and at the appearance of froth (phenodgama) over the oil. Expose the kalka and oil to flame and confirm the absence of crackling sound indicating absence of moisture.
- Filter while hot (about 800) through a muslin cloth and allow to cool.
- Store it in glass containers and pack them air-tight to protect from light and moisture.
A medicated oil, light brownish yellow in color with a pleasant odour.
About the ingredients
Sesame Oil for hair: Sesame oil is used as base oil in preparation on medicated oils. It is heavy, unctuous, bitter, astringent and hot in potency. It contains 8 essential amino acids good for brain and used for head massage since ancient times.
Linoleic acid is present in Sesame oil. The fatty lecithin present in it, supports healthy hair growth and treats hair dryness and brittleness. Sesame oil nourishes hair and massaging with it helps prevents gray hair and restores natural colour.
Bhringraj / Bhangra / Bhangro for hair: Bhringraj is the main herb for hair care. In Ayurveda, it is used in prevention of all sorts of hair problems. It promotes hair growth and colors the hair. The medicated oil which contain Bhringraj paste as an ingredient helps in premature hair graying and hair fall. Bhangra, helps in alopecia by stimulating follicular Kerainocyte proliferation. Bhringraj improves the blood circulation to hair follicles.
Indian Madder for hair: Manjishtha / Indian madder (Rubia cordifolia) is perennial, prickly or scabrous, climbing herb of family Rubiaceae. The roots of plant are used both internally and externally.
Manjishtha is anthraquinone based red dye. It contains anthraquinones colorants alizarin (III), purpuroxanthin (IV), rubiadin (V), manjistin (VI), purpurin (VII) and pseudopurpurin (VIII).
The roots are used as a natural dye, for imparting shades of red, scarlet, brown and mauve to cotton and other fabrics. The roots are added to medicated hair oils as an hair dye.
Liquorice for hair: Liquorice is tonic for hairs. Yashtimadhu helps in retarding greying of hair. It promotes hair growth. A recent study shows, petroleum ether root extract of G. glabra is more effective than minoxidil in promoting hair growth in female wistar rats.
Kamal, Chandan has cooling effect on head.
Benefits of Bhringraj Oil
- It is classical Ayurvedic formulation.
- It is cooling. Massaging with this oil induce sound sleep.
- It is a hair tonic.
- It helps in Premature hair fall and graying.
- It gives relief in scalp itching.
- It is antiseptic and gives relief in dandruff.
- It is good scalp and hair conditioner.
- It is an excellent rejuvenator.
- It makes hair black and shiny.
Important Therapeutic Uses of Bhringraj Oil
Bhringraj Oil is referenced from Bhaishajyaranavali, Kshudrarogadhikara. It is mainly used for hair care and for Keshapata (loss of hair), Palit (premature hair graying), Indralupta / Khalitya (Alopecia) etc. In Bhaishjya Ratnavali, its use is also mentioned for the following diseases.
- Netraroga (Eye disorder)
- Karna Roga (Disease of ear)
- Shiroroga (Disease of head)
- Manya Stambha (Neck rigidity/Torticollis)
- Galagraha (Difficulty in swallowing)
- Anidra (Insomnia)
- Used externally for Nasya (instilling in nose) and Kavala graha (keeping drugs in the mouth)
How to use Bhringraj Oil
- Use as any other hair oil.
- Take a small amount in palm. With the help of finger apply on the roots of hair and massage gently. Apply at night and wash off next morning.
- Do not wash off immediately.
- This oil is for external use only.
- It must not be taken internally.
- This medicine has no side-effects.