Banana is one of the most nutritious and suitable for all fruit. It is available throughout the year. It has added advantage over the other fruits. You need not to wash your hands before eating it. Just peel and enjoy. It is easy to carry and does not require washing prior to eating. Banana is a tropical fruit. It originated in Southeast Asia and the South Pacific. Botanically, banana fruit is a berry and its plant is a giant herb. There are about 1000 varieties of bananas in the world. They are grown in more than 150 countries, producing 105 million tons of fruit per year.
Banana offers numerous health benefits. It regulates bowel, makes blood alkaline, reduces stress and increases brain power. Its intake is beneficial in heart diseases, depression, menstrual pains and anemia. Banana shows beneficial effects in constipation, thirst, hemorrhoids, hypertension, and intoxication. They are rich in potassium. Potassium is an essential mineral required for maintaining normal blood pressure and heart function. Study show mixture of banana and milk significantly reduces the acid secretion. Banana is effective against aspirin-induced damage of gastric mucosa.
India is considered as one of the origin of the banana. The scientific name of banana is Musa paradisiaca and Musa sapientum.
- KINGDOM: Plantae
- DIVISION: Magnoliophyta
- CLASS: Liliopsida
- ORDER: Zingiberales
- FAMILY: Musaceae
- GENUS: Musa
- SPECIES: Musa paradisiaca, Musa sapientum
- AYURVEDIC: Sakrtphala, Varana, Mocha, Ambusara, Anshumatiphal
- UNANI: Kelaa, Mouz
- SIDDHA: Vaazhai
- ENGLISH: Plantain, Banana
- HINDI: Kela
- BENGALI: Kela, Kala, Kach-kula, Kodali, Kanch-kala
- ORIYA: Kadali, Kadila
- ASSAMESE: Kal, Talha
- GUJARATI: Kela Kannada: Bale, Balenaru, Balehannu, Bale gadde
- MALAYALAM: Vasha, Vashappagnan, Vazha, Pisang, Kadalivala, Ksetrakadali
- MARATHI: Kela, Kadali Punj: Kela, Khela
- TAMIL: Vashaip pasham, Valei, Vazhai, Kadali valai
- TELUGU: Ariti, Anati, Kommu-ariti, Nalla-ariti, Kadali, Arati gadda, Kadalamu
- URDU: Kela:
- ARABIC: Tulhtula, Shajratulmosus, Mous, Mouz
- SINDHI: Kewiro
- PERSIAN: Tulhtula, Mous
- SINGHALESE: Walkaihil, Kehol
- CAMBODIA: Check, Chek chvea, Chek pheh
Nutritional Value of Banana
Banana is full of nutrition. It is excellent source of potassium. One medium size banana contain about 400mg of it. Higher level of potassium in body helps to lower the blood pressure. Moreover it has very low amount of sodium. Eating one banana gives 25% of daily required value of Vitamin B6. Vitamin B6 improves immunity. Banana also contains silicon, magnesium, phosphorus, copper, chromium, iron, fluoride, manganese, selenium, and zinc.
Banana, fresh 1 medium;
Calories:118.00 grams;Glycemic Index: low (GI measures the impact of a food on our blood sugar)
|vitamin B6||0.43 mg||25|
|vitamin C||10.27 mg||14|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2, 000 calorie diet.
Some important Medicinal Properties
Bananas are astringent, emollient, cooling, anthelmintic, aphrodisiac, antiscorbutic, laxative, demulcent and nutrient. They are useful in bleeding disorders, diabetes, gastritis, dyspepsia with flatulence and acidity, chronic dysentery, diarrhea, scurvy, helminthiasis, scabies, pruritus, bronchitis, pharyngeal disorders, nephropathy, strangury, menorrhagia, metrorrhagia and general debility.
- Some of the important beneficial properties of banana are given below.
- Anti-ulcer: ulcers in the stomach and the upper part of the small intestine.
- Antacid: prevents or corrects stomach acidity.
- Antiscorbutic: against scurvy.
- Laxative: encourage bowel movements to relieve constipation.
- Cooling: provides a sensation of coolness or reduces fever.
- Nutritive, tonic: Good for improving general health.
- Heavy, Strengthening, Aphrodisiac
- In Ayurveda, the unripe fruit is acrid, cooling, tonic, astringent to the bowels. It causes vata and kapha. The ripe fruit is sweet, acrid, cooling, tonic, aphrodisiac and demulcent. It is useful in dysentery, leprosy, thirst, bronchitis, consumption, burning sensations, vaginal and urinary discharges, urinary concretions, biliousness and acidity. In diabetes, the unripe fruit is preferred.
- It takes approximately three – four hour for banana to digest completely.
Health Benefits of Banana
Banana is full of nutrition. Eating one banana provides 12% of daily required value of potassium. Potassium protects against cardiovascular diseases and lowers blood pressure. Potassium also helps body to get rid of excess sodium. Banana is also good source of manganese, fiber, and vitamin B6. Banana strengthen bones, improves eyesight, and protects from ulcers. It improves digestion and bowel movements. It reduces acid reflux and heartburn. It is a natural antacid. In pregnancy, it helps to provide nutrition, folic acid and gives relief in morning sickness.
- It is very low-fat food (less than 4% of their calories come from fat). It is rich in carbohydrates, potassium, and vitamins.
- It restores normal bowel function.
- The fully ripen banana is a natural bulk producing laxative. It is rich in water-soluble fiber and helps to cure constipation.
- It has antacid effects and protect against stomach ulcers.
- It reduces the risk of heart diseases and blood pressure due to their richness in potassium.
- As banana are rich in potassium they also prevent muscle cramps.
- It contain amino acid tryptophan which stimulates production of serotonin. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter with calming effect on body. This also helps in reducing depression.
- It increase mental alertness and improves brain power.
- It increases iron level and cures anemia.
- It improves the body’s ability to absorb calcium.
- It makes blood alkaline.
Eating banana during pregnancy provides folic acid, iron, vitamin B6, potassium and other nutrients. It helps to keep blood pressure normal and also gives energy.
Bananas eating is beneficial in ulcer, irritation in the stomach and hyperacidity. It contain a considerable amount of vitamin B6 and vitamin C, minerals like calcium, magnesium, and trace amounts of iron and zinc. It contains phosphorus which is good for brain. Banana does not contain fat and cholesterol. It has low glycemic index. It breaks down slowly and releases glucose gradually in the bloodstream. The can be eaten safely in diabetes.
Eating Banana for treating common health conditions
- It is beneficial to eat banana in acidity, colitis, ulcerative colitis, insomnia, and for improving weight gain.
- In insomnia/lack of sleep, eating banana with one teaspoon of cumin seed powder is helpful.
- In peptic ulcer and hyperacidity, eating larger greener banana is helpful. For this purpose eat 1-2 banana with one cup milk. It neutralizes excessive acidity.
- For constipation, eating banana empty stomach in the morning is very helpful. Please note, use the fully ripen yellow banana for constipation. Also it is important to drink plenty of water. Otherwise the fiber present in banana will worsen the constipation.
- In mouth ulcer and nose-bleed/ nakseer, eating banana is helpful. For nose-bleed eat banana daily.
- For hiccups, eat a grain of hing and with banana.
- The banana face mask application on face tightens the facial skin and gives glow. It moisturizes, softens, soothes and nourishes the skin. It has anti-wrinkle properties. This mask specially suits to dry and normal skin.
- For preparing the mask, take one ripe banana and mash it. Add one teaspoon honey and mix well. Apply this face-mask for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with plain water.
- Rub the inner peel of banana on insect bite or mosquito bites to get relief from itching.
Banana pacifies pitta dosha but aggravates kapha dosha. So if in case of excess mucous in body it is better to avoid banana. Avoid eating banana immediately after having meal. Do not drink water for one hour after eating banana. Goiter patients should avoid banana.