Table of Contents
Bakuchi Churna is Ayurvedic medicine in powder form used to treat various chronic skin diseases such as psoriasis, leukoderma, skin rashes, and leprosy.
Bakuchi or Babchi (Psoralea corylifolia) is excellent medicinal herb that is used in Ayurveda to cure skin related diseases such as leukoderma, vitiligo, leprosy, psoriasis and inflammatory diseases of the skin. Its traditional use is considered safe used at a low dose for internal consumption with moderate exposure to sunlight.
Bakuchi is the dry ripe seed of Psoralea corylifolia Linn. of Leguminosae family, an erect, 0.3-1.8 m. high annual herb, distributed throughout India, found commonly in Uttar Pradesh, Bengal and Maharashtra. The seeds contain evaporable oil, stable oil, resin and two crystalline elements called psoraline. The seeds oil of Bakuchi plant is useful in leukoderma, vitiligo, leprosy, psoriasis and inflammatory diseases of the skin.
Babchi helps in vitiligo, hypopigmented lesions or leucoderma as its chief constituent psoralen is a photoactive furocoumarin that binds to DNA when exposed to UV light to form photoproducts with pyrimidine base. This action inhibits DNA synthesis and causes decrease in cell proliferation and hence spread of leukoderma patches.
Here is given more about this medicine, such as benefits, indication/therapeutic uses, composition and dosage.
- Synonyms: Bakuchi Powder, Bakoochi Powder
- Availability: Online and at medical stores
- Type of medicine: Classical Medicine
- Main Indication: Chronic skin diseases e.g. eczema, itching, vitiligo, psoriasis, hypopigmented lesions
Ingredients of Bakuchi Churna
This medicine contains powder of Bakuchi seeds.
Psoralea corylifolia, commonly known as Babchi/Bavchi/Babechi/ Somaraji, is used in Ayurveda, Siddha, Unani and Chinese medicine for treating skin diseases such as leukoderma, skin rashes, infections, and others.
Bakuchi contains bakuchinol (phenol), psoralen, isopsoralen, psorelidin, isopsoralidin, dehydroisopsoralidin and corylifolen. The furanocoumarins, which contain psoralens, promote pigmentation when applied topically. It improves the color of skin, hair, and nails.
- Rasa (taste on tongue): Katu (Pungent), Tikta (Bitter)
- Guna (Pharmacological Action): Laghu (Light), Ruksha (Dry)
- Virya (Action): Ushna (Heating)
- Vipaka (transformed state after digestion): Katu (Pungent)
- Dosha effect: Balances Vata, Pitta and Kapha, Increases Pitta when taken in excess
- Dhatu (tissue): Plasma, blood, muscles
- Srotas (channel): Circulatory, respiratory, muscular.
Bakuchi increases the rate of synthesis and amount of melanin and encourages skin to recover from a vitiliginous state. Ultraviolet rays (of early morning sunlight) exposure on affected area of skin promote the growth and proliferation of melanocyte.
Ayurvedic Action / Karma
- Hridaya: Cordial heart tonic
- Jvaraghna: Anti-fever
- Kaphahara: Destroys kapha
- Krimighna: Anthelmintic
- Kushtha: Heals skin disorders
- Raktapittahar: Alleviates bleeding disorders
- Rasayana: Rejuvenative
- Vranya: Treatment of ulcers
- Alterative: Alter favorably the course of an ailment.
- Cardiac tonic: Tonic for heart
- Pigmentor: Helps pigmentation.
- Vasodilator: Widens blood vessels
Important Therapeutic Uses of Bakuchi Churna
- Chronic skin diseases
- Inflammatory diseases of skin
- Various Skin problems
- And many other skin problems
Vitiligo is a skin condition characterized by progressive, idiopathic, white patches on the skin. The exact cause for this condition is not known but it may be due to immune system problems. Vitiligo happens because the cells (melanocytes) that give color to the skin get destroyed. It can begin at any age, but in about 50% of the patients, it starts before the age of 20. There is no specific cure for vitiligo, but there are many ways in which the symptoms can be controlled.
Ayurveda emphasizes on three-fold therapeutic management of the diseases namely Samshodhana (biopurification), Samshamana (pacification) and Nidana Parivarjana (avoiding causative factors) for almost all types of disorders including dermatological disorders.
Dosage of Bakuchi Churna
- The recommended dosage of medicine is 1 to 5 grams.
- It should be taken twice a day, in the morning and evening with lukewarm water after meal for one month.
- Or take as directed by doctor.
- Oral administration of the powdered seeds has generally resulted in side reactions (nausea, vomiting, purging); external application generally proved highly irritant to the skin.
Suggestions, Contraindications, Interactions, Side-effects and Warnings
- It is completely safe to take this medicine in recommended doses.
- Effectivity of herbal medicine depends on many factors. A medicine suitable for one person may not essentially give same result in another person.
- Exact dose depends on the age, strength, digestive power of the patient, the nature of the illness, the state of the viscera and humours, and the properties of individual drugs.
- Regular use of Bakuchi powder and Bakuchi Oil for one year reduces the size of patch, changes the color of patches from white to reddish.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- Include Cow Milk and Ghee, Moong, Parwal, Rice, Spinach, Methi and easily digestive food items in diet.
- Avoid/do not eat, Jaggery, Sesame (Til), Curd, Raw Tomato, Raw Onion, Raw Garlic, Citrus Fruits such as Lemon, Oranges, Pickles, Chilies, Fish, Brinjal, Jackfruit, Heavy Diets, etc.
- Avoid Tea, Coffee, Alcoholic Beverages and all condiments and highly-flavored dishes.
- Bakuchi is contraindicated in excessive UV therapy and high pitta.
- Use with caution in pregnancy.
- No drug-herb interactions are known.
- Bakuchi should not be used with patients undergoing PUVA therapy due to the increased risk of photosensitive reactions.
Pharmacies Making Bakuchi Churna
You can buy this medicine online or from medical stores. Since it is a classical medicine, it is manufactured by many Ayurvedic pharmacies.
Name of some of the Ayurvedic Pharmacies manufacturing this medicine are given below:
- Patanjali Divya Pharmacy Bakuchi Churna
- Jagriti Bakoochi Seed Churna Powder
- and many other Ayurvedic pharmacies.